Home Main Category Clubhouse

So let's have an open discussion about the state of the Forum

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,566 Senior Member
    JMO.....The last time we attempted doing away with the arguing forum, folks crawled out of the woodwork clamoring "censorship", and "I'm outta here".

I'm of the opinion that if arguing politics on a gun-forum is what keeps you here.....just go away. 
    This. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 492 Member
    Thanks Mike, I suspect I will. Things seem a bit lighter, and fresher to me lately - as a few others have pointed out.

I recall from prior discussions over the years that the more traffic, the better and I like contributing to that end....but I also realize that I learn a lot more when I'm listening and reading...than I do when I'm talking and/or typing. ;) 

The stories about your attack cat.....never disappoint. Got any new scars lately?

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,583 Senior Member
    https://forums.gunsandammo.com/discussion/33607/now-that-my-heart-has-stopped-racing#latest

You might like this one, if you missed it. Thankfully Attack cat didn't have to be utilized.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 898 Senior Member
    The poor interface and having to have my posts "approved" is a part of why I've all but walked away.
    I'm not aware of posts having to be approved. Can you elaborate? Maybe we can figure this out.

Mike
    N454casull
    Basically I get a message that says something like, "post awaiting approval by moderator" "comment will appear when approved".
    The "approval" never happens, happened twice this morning, post never appears.
    It's a shade disheartening.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,854 Senior Member
    waipapa13 said:
    Basically I get a message that says something like, "post awaiting approval by moderator" "comment will appear when approved".
    I do not know the fix, but the cigar forum is on the same platform and has the same issue sometimes
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    waipapa13 said:
    I've checked all my moderator tools, and nothing that's available to me can fix your issue. Since ChonchoKid passed, we don't have an admin anymore. I'll see if I can find someone who can fix this for you. Wish I had the tools to do more.

Mike
    N454casull
  • bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 1,991 Senior Member
    I've been here I just don't post anything. I did take a break for awhile and when I came back it looks like the shtf. Old timers were banned, some left and deleted their post. Definitely alot less arguing goning in now. 
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,763 Senior Member
    Well jump in and start posting...I mean, you've GOT to have something interesting in your gun safe...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    waipapa13 said:
    I've checked all my moderator tools, and nothing that's available to me can fix your issue. Since ChonchoKid passed, we don't have an admin anymore. I'll see if I can find someone who can fix this for you. Wish I had the tools to do more.

Mike
    Thank you for looking into it, I appreciate it.
    It's an intermittent fault but there were a few long posts that got eaten, lesson learned, save as I go.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    edited March 2020 #133
    I belong to a forum that is much bigger than this. If you start a thread about anything, in 30 minutes it  will fill 3 pages of posts. And like it was when I first came on here there's some real bonafide gun writers on there. In fact there's a forum titled "Ask the gun writers. Also, say what you want. They're not over monitored. People say wordy dirds all the time and no body is banned. You really gotta screw up to get banned. Jus' Sayin'
    (
    And for every .270 hater there's a .270 fanatic. In fact, last month there was a thread in the elk hunting forum (Yeah they got a forum for everything) about what is your favorite elk cartridge. Believe it or not the .270 was the most prefered elk cartridge. They rave about the Barnes Solids like the TTSX 150 grain and the 150 grain Nosler Partition in it.

The cartridge that catches the most hell lately is the 6.5 Crudmore, LOL! Lots on there hate all the attention it gets.

I'm not saying we need to copy that forum but we may need to take a good look at ourselves and think about what we do. What would you think if you were a newby here?

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    I like having more gun threads lately and the “Arguing Forum” has been relatively quite as of late. 

Ahhhh.......fresh air. 
    Yep, this!!!!!  
    edited March 2020 #135
    waipapa13 said:
    waipapa13 said:

Mike
    Thank you for looking into it, I appreciate it.
    It's an intermittent fault but there were a few long posts that got eaten, lesson learned, save as I go.
    Give it a try now.....we had some rare help from above.

Mike
    N454casull
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Now that I have access to youtube. I notice we're not the only gun cranks that argue.

Human nature I guess. Maybe too much show business and not enough gun business if we're not careful....
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    As soon as it gets warmer I have some plans to get a new shooting lane and berm built. Got the bulldozer mostly in good working order for that; just need to  clean/flush the fuel tank. I've got some guns that are way past time getting out and shooting, and the new shooting lane will provide the DRY space to do that. One is a Winchester 94 half round/half octagon takedown rifle I haven't shot in years; it needs to be shown a little attention and love. And some pistols that need to throw some bullets downrange.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,584 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    I belong to a forum that is much bigger than this. If you start a thread about anything, in 30 minutes it  will fill 3 pages of posts. And like it was when I first came on here there's some real bonafide gun writers on there. In fact there's a forum titled "Ask the gun writers. Also, say what you want. They're not over monitored. People say wordy dirds all the time and no body is banned. You really gotta screw up to get banned. Jus' Sayin'
    (
    And for every .270 hater there's a .270 fanatic. In fact, last month there was a thread in the elk hunting forum (Yeah they got a forum for everything) about what is your favorite elk cartridge. Believe it or not the .270 was the most prefered elk cartridge. They rave about the Barnes Solids like the TTSX 150 grain and the 150 grain Nosler Partition in it.

The cartridge that catches the most hell lately is the 6.5 Crudmore, LOL! Lots on there hate all the attention it gets.

I'm not saying we need to copy that forum but we may need to take a good look at ourselves and think about what we do. What would you think if you were a newby here?

They have gun writers? Say what you want? They love the .270 and no one gets banned?!
    Dang Snake, how many of them sleeping pills you takin'at night?
    ;)

I'm feeling that song from Top Hat coming on.
    Heaven, I'm in heaven...
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

edited March 2020 #139
    bhl2506 said:
    I've been here I just don't post anything. I did take a break for awhile and when I came back it looks like the shtf. Old timers were banned, some left and deleted their post. Definitely alot less arguing goning in now. 
    So let’s work to get back to what made this place great before.  Now all we need is everyone’s help.  Stick to guns, shooting, hunting and SD and and let the damn pissing match forum languish and die...
    JMO.....The last time we attempted doing away with the arguing forum, folks crawled out of the woodwork clamoring "censorship", and "I'm outta here".

I'm of the opinion that if arguing politics on a gun-forum is what keeps you here.....just go away. I'll even help you out. I'm very tired of policing BS.

Mike
    Give that man a cigar!!!  Ding, ding, ding!  Winner!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,462 Senior Member
    I settled my Politics category problem by not posting there and only looking at it.  There was a lot of misinformation and weird opinion being posted as fact.  In addition, I felt like my LEO career was drawing a lot hostility based in large part to craphouse lawyering. In some instances the ones posting exclusive political opinion seldom if ever posted anything on any of the other categories. The prime reason this board exists is for firearm and hunting discussions and those who join this board who in large majority post  in politics the only come here to talk about politics, not guns.  I'm old and argumentative and when I did post there, it seemed to excite wild arguments.  So I avoid the place and so far that's been fine.

Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    bhl2506 said:
    So let’s work to get back to what made this place great before.  Now all we need is everyone’s help.  Stick to guns, shooting, hunting and SD and and let the damn pissing match forum languish and die...

That would be a good thing.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Buford said:
    GunNut said:
    bhl2506 said:

Buford said:
    GunNut said:
    bhl2506 said:

Good to hear from you!  Those Pythons still as pretty as the last picture I saw?  😁
    Whatever happened to Breamfisher???
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,566 Senior Member
    He got tired of the stupid on multiple levels. I still keep in touch with him. He’s well. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    He got tired of the stupid on multiple levels. I still keep in touch with him. He’s well. 
    Im very glad to hear that.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,584 Senior Member
    edited March 2020 #147
    GunNut said:

I'm of the opinion that if arguing politics on a gun-forum is what keeps you here.....just go away. I'll even help you out. I'm very tired of policing BS.

Mike
    Give that man a cigar!!!  Ding, ding, ding!  Winner!
     From the old forum...

Copy this to your phone or computer and apply as appropriate. 👍
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    I haven't posted much in the past couple years but i stop by a couple times a month.
    I can honestly say that I've not spent much time on the 2A forum, mostly because I absolutely hate politics and basically couldn't care less about anybody else's opinion on them.
    I do hope we have more range reports as I always have enjoyed them.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    Zee said:
    This.  He’s pretty active on Facebook but very busy with wife and kids.
    Well....we miss  him here, that's for sure

Mike.
    N454casull
    Well....we miss  him here, that's for sure

Mike.
    I’ll ask him to come visit.