Home Main Category Hunting

What was your first Big Game Animal taken and what did you use?

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 27,456 Senior Member
Kind of in line with Linefinder’s thread in Gen regarding your first big game rifle. Except, I’m asking:

1) Your First Big Game Animal
2) What did you use?
3) How old were you?

Mine was a whitetail doe at age 13. We went on a family deer drive and I used a borrowed Winchester 1400 12ga and 00 Buck. Standing just off the edge of a brush line, she broke cover and saw me. Turning to run parallel me, I rolled her at about 25 yards with one shot. 
She is mounted on the wall in my Daughrer’s room. 
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,324 Senior Member
    Blacktail-ish subspecies of mule deer (small)
    Rem 700 .30-06, 168gr. Barnes TTSX
    140 yards prone/broadside/heart.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,687 Senior Member
    Whitetail, Glenfield 30-30. 21 or 22yo. 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,113 Senior Member
    Mine was a Whitetail...taken my first year out of the Army ( guess I would have been in my early 20s) on our family deer hunt "up north" w/o the the aforementioned .45-70 single shot.

I was hunting off a big power line cut (about 10 miles from where we currently live) and about mid-morning I was taking a sandwich break when this 7 point came moseying along...broadside about 50 yards away....hit him behind the shoulder with a 405 grain soft point...he took off running dead, right past me and piled up about 25 yards away....gutted him and dragged him back to camp...
    I still have his antlers...I've shot bigger since but that one was really special...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,546 Senior Member
    Antelope taken with a borrowed custom built (by my dad) 257AI at about 260 yards. Thought it was a complete miss as the Antelope did not react to the shot but ran off over a hill as I approached. Decided to take a look over the hill thinking another opportunity might present itself and saw my Antelope laying down. he attempted to get up but was unable, I approached to find a mortally wounded but not dead buck. A .357 to the head resolved my mistake.
    Best as I recall the load was an 87gr JHP, don't recall the powder but it was an MOA load. We surmised that the bullet hit shoulder bone and came apart with jacket metal acting like a scalpel and unzipping the belly. 
    messy first kill, not proud of it but I learned a lot that day.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,135 Senior Member
    White Tail Doe, in 1978 while stationed at Ft Lewis, Wa.  Used a brand spanken new 30-06.  My first Season hunting and she was in the middle of a clear cut, maybe 85 yards away. 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Does a species of antelope that only grows to 15" at the shoulder and weighs less than 25 lbs count?
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Took me a while to get my first deer.  A combination of hardheadedness trying to do it on my own and hunting a string of places with sparse populations and heavy hunting pressure.  

Finally in my 30s I was taken under the wing of a great friend who had quit hunting because it was too “easy” and he got back into it to teach me his skills.

Bagged my fist deer, a misshapen racked little buck with a Browning micro-hunter in 7mm-08.  Since then I’ve taken quite a few but I’ll never forget that first one with my buddy by my side... 
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,410 Senior Member
    1972, I was twelve deer hunting my uncles farm.  They told me to sit by the old cemetery and shoot the biggest deer I saw.  I had my new Win 94 30-30 and I was super excited, my first deer hunt!  I couldn't see well  on the ground so I sat on top of the cemetery wall with my back against an old tomb stone.  The deer drivers were whoop'n and making noise.  I could see 20 or so deer coming my way.  I whistled and they stopped to listen just like pop said to do.  I did as I was told and shot the biggest one in the group.  It never dawned on me nobody else shot at these deer as they passed.  

When my dad, uncle and others came up to me they asked did you get it.  You betcha I did it's right over there.  How many points did it have?  I said I don't know I shot the biggest one in the group.  Yes sir ree bob, I shot the biggest doe on opening day of buck season!  My uncle was pissed, my pop was  very happy I got my first deer.  Three hours later it was all butchered, wrapped up in butcher paper and in the cooler as we drove home.  I was explained the facts of life (horns) about opening day of deer season all morning long!  Great time with pops!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,410 Senior Member
    Does a species of antelope that only grows to 15" at the shoulder and weighs less than 25 lbs count?
    How many points did the jack-o-lope have? :wink:
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    How many points did the jack-o-lope have? :wink:

Jack-o-lope is about right.  :D  Here is what they look like.  A picture of the actual one I shot may exist in a photo album at my mother's house.  I will look for it after this coronavirus stuff is over.

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,032 Senior Member
    First was a whitetail buck ,Florida deer season of 50, lucky shot at maybe 30 yards in Big Cypress Swamp, used a M-94 32Win Spc I was 13

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    This was in 1968 Wisconsin. Whitetail doe that had already been wounded. Was hunting with my cousins and a neighbor. We had a party tag which allowed four people to take one doe, but the shooter had to be wearing the party tag arm band. We had just left the Golden Nugget in Pine River after pounding down a PBR shorty. (Just one)

As we got out of town we saw a doe standing in a field and It was obviously badly wounded. I got out of the back seat of Mr. Peters Cadillac and got my Marlin 36 out of the trunk!! Put the poor thing out of it's misery!!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Whitetail doe taken with a Savage M340 30-30.  I THINK I was 15 and a freshman in high school.  Location was in the Texas hill country near Sonora.

I got my first buck a year later with a borrowed Sako .243.  The location was between Ozona and Del Rio, Tx, near a little town called Pandale.  Man I miss that place.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Whitetail doe taken with a Savage M340 30-30.  I THINK I was 15 and a freshman in high school.  Location was in the Texas hill country near Sonora.

I got my first buck a year later with a borrowed Sako .243.  The location was between Ozona and Del Rio, Tx, near a little town called Pandale.  Man I miss that place.
    Forgot to add.  The year was 1966 when I shot the doe.
    Jerry

Since no one is posting pics I guess we all got our first deer pre-iPhone...  :D
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Since no one is posting pics I guess we all got our first deer pre-iPhone...  :D
    It was hard to take photos with a party line, rotary phone!!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,456 Senior Member
    There ain’t much out there. Like.......nothing. 😳
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,538 Senior Member
    Whitetail doe with a Remington model 788 .243, taken from the front seat of the truck out riding country roads with my Uncle when I was 16 or 17. 
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,125 Senior Member
    edited March 2020 #20
    1983 at age 41, I was hunting squirrels with an 1100; but , kept 00 buck  in the chamber and mag with the intention of changing the chamber load as necessary once the squirrels started their afternoon feeding..

A small 4 pt whitetail slipped along the shallow draw I was sitting next to at about 15 yds and I shot it. The 00 buck was the old soft lead balls with no buffering and the full choke threw a large pattern and the deer took off on the back trail and got 50 yds or so and I saw it go down.

After that I moved up to slugs and buffered and plated 00 buck once that became available.  The reason I still needed buckshot was I often hunted base property and slugs were not allowed in all hunting areas.

JKP said:
    Whitetail doe with a Remington model 788 .243, taken from the front seat of the truck out riding country roads with my Uncle when I was 16 or 17. 
    My uncles used to take me and hunt that way when I was a kid. 
    Zee said:
    There ain’t much out there. Like.......nothing. 😳
    Obviously you have never deer hunted that area.  I don't know about now, but back then it had more deer than any place I had ever seen.  It still ranks as the best deer hunting in terms of number of deer among any place I've ever hunted, with the possible exception of southeastern Montana.

I will agree, though, that the country is rough and rugged.  Lots of desert landscape with rocky canyons and the like.
    Jerry

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,748 Senior Member
    Smallish whitetail doe.
    Rem 742 in 308 Win.
    19, home on leave from boot camp. There weren't a lot of deer in North Louisiana when I was a kid.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    I spent a month there a couple years ago. Here is a walk down memory lane for you. 

Wow I’m in love!!!!
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,150 Senior Member
    I defended the homestead from an attack from a viscous groundhog when I was about 8-9 years old using a .22 lever gun.  It sure did seem huge at the time.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    edited April 2020 #27
    Deer - .270  (Niagara Falls! - slowly I turn....)
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Fork horn whitetail. Ruger Deerfield Carbine. Shot him running. 2 shots entered broadside lungs. Turned ninety degrees and exited downward out the chest leaving a fist sized hole. The area had been forested. Dead fall and brambles everywhere. I was 14yro. Ran out of steam and made preparation to spend the night in the woods. My Dad and his freinds came looking, found me, and lent a hand.
    Zee, if you have been to where I grew up, you'd think Pandale was an oasis.  As the saying goes, it's so flat you can see your dog run away for 3 weeks.

Purty.  Thanks for sharing, and great pics!

Jerry

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,186 Senior Member
    I shot a couple of does and a forkhorn that needed tracking after they were shot, I did not count those as I did not take the first shot and the tracking was pretty straight forward. Winchester 30-30 for those.

MY first deer was an 8 point buck, I had rattled and grunted him in within 50 yds but could not see him in the brush in front of my stand and did not know he was there, my uncle came walking down the trail to my right and I relaxed a bit to stand up and stretch and the buck pops out right in front of my stand from my right to left as my uncle approaches. I had my new "package" Savage 116 in .300 Win mag. and got it shouldered and touched one off holding on the edge of the bucks chest as he was moving forward and at that moment he spun and headed back towards my uncle, with the afterburners on, clean miss, I saw my bullet splash on the ground, I got 2 more rounds off before I was crossing the line where my uncle was standing all startled from me touching off 3 rounds, I was shooting pretty fast, my uncle never had a chance at him, the buck was hauling butt.

The next year, same stand, same gun, doing some rattling and grunting and I hear some crashing through the ice on the river in front of my stand and I shut up, sat tight, and got ready. Well, same buck pops out from my left this time and comes in fast looking for a fight and he is like 15 yds away from me and I don't dare move, he is looking around and then pivots to his right to look behind him and I shot him through the top of the heart and both lungs and I watch him tip over after about a 30 yd run. I sat there with my scope on him trying to breathe slow and about 30 seconds go by and DeanC hollers from the direction the deer was looking, "did I get one?" Not a huge rack, but a big deer, it was all my uncle and I could do to load him gutted out on the back rack of a Yamaha Big Bear 4-wheeler. Have not shot a bigger one, yet.

I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    That deer's a monster. The antlers aren't close to his body mass.