Home Main Category Personal Defense

So what are you carrying right now?

2»

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,772 Senior Member
    The difference in the striker fired pistols and the 1911 is slight enough that it doesn’t really bother me. My brain picks up on the difference when gripping the gun for draw. 
    Now, a revolver.......that’s different. My grip is different. The trigger pull is different. The recoil impulse is different. The reload is different. And quite frankly, I don’t spend any time getting better with them. I hunt and carry them while hunting. But that is completely different than defensive shooting. 
    For that reason, there is really only one revolver I carry occasionally for defense. That is a S&W 340 M&P in .357 Mag. It’s basically a “striker fired revolver”. No hammer and no frills. But, I only carry it in low threat situations. Mowing the grass. Getting the mail. Walking the dogs. 
    Otherwise, I stick to what I know and train judiciously with. 
    I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek. 😁
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,465 Senior Member
    I'll take a minute to tack a few things on to what Zee is saying.

In my job, I have to inspect a lot of different guns that get brought to me and pronounce them good-to-go.  This includes test-firing to ensure the piece is putting bullets generally close to where the sights are, so I have to be passably competent with anything that shows up.

Because the next gun I'm shooting may be totally different from the last, I have to be TOTALLY a fundamentals guy, and can't bitch about things like grip angle or trigger pull.  It comes down to maintaining sight picture/alignment while providing a grip and trigger pull that doesn't disturb that.

If you burn that into your DNA, it ceases to matter much what the trigger system is.  In my opinion, THE SINGLE BEST training tool for developing that skill is a double action revolver, because it FORCES your attention onto that basic fundamental point.  There's no fooling yourself that you can yank a shot off at the instant you think the sights will be where you want them (tip - they NEVER are).

When you start applying that revolver brain re-wiring to your SAO, striker-fired, or DA/SA autoloaders, good things really start to happen.

Now, running a revolver as a combat weapon and doing reloads - that IS a different animal and takes some extra work.  Fun though!  :)
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,200 Senior Member
    Reminds me of when my wife and I had to "qualify" for our first MI CPLs...as part of the drill, we had to run the handgun dry on the target, reload, and do it again...

Now I had been drilling the wife in the proper use of a speed loader for months so when it came her turn she did a perfect drill with her Model 19 Combat Masterpiece...the range officer who was hovering over her shoulder says "Damn Lady! Where did you learn to do that? Never seen anyone reload a revolver that fast..."
    She says "See that guy over there? Watch him"
    I was using a 4" Model 29 loaded with .44 Specials....and amazed him all over again. Afterwards he pulled me aside and had me go through the sequence again...
    Practice makes perfect...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,196 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Reminds me of when my wife and I had to "qualify" for our first MI CPLs...as part of the drill, we had to run the handgun dry on the target, reload, and do it again...

Now I had been drilling the wife in the proper use of a speed loader for months so when it came her turn she did a perfect drill with her Model 19 Combat Masterpiece...the range officer who was hovering over her shoulder says "Damn Lady! Where did you learn to do that? Never seen anyone reload a revolver that fast..."
    She says "See that guy over there? Watch him"
    I was using a 4" Model 29 loaded with .44 Specials....and amazed him all over again. Afterwards he pulled me aside and had me go through the sequence again...
    Practice makes perfect...
    👍

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 380 Member
     Zee said:
    I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek. 😁
    I'm Stealing This.  😁
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,700 Senior Member
    PERFECT practice makes perfect.  Nothing worse than trying to break bad habits ingrained through years of doing something the wrong way...  I’m sure Jayhawker made sure the missus did it right the first time AND the next 100.  Fundamentals!!!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,545 Senior Member
    edited April 2020 #38
    "What are you carrying right now?" A lit cigarette (Marlboro Gold (Light) Menthol 100) and a 16oz mug of coffee, 1/2 Folgers Colombian and 1/2 BRCC Hazelnut :D 

Just got off from a 12 hr night shift, and the local Krispy Kreme is giving away free donuts for healthcare workers, so I grabbed a dozen on my way home :D:D<3 
    (Actually I grabbed 2dz and dropped one off at dau-in-laws house for her and the granddaughters x3) And text her, "The donut fairy cometh"
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,312 Senior Member
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,355 Senior Member
    Star BM today. 

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,495 Senior Member
    Nothing, I am at work... ;)
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,840 Senior Member
    Glock 19 with RMR and TLR-7A again. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,355 Senior Member
    S&W 325PD in .45ACP in a pocket of my shorts.  Lazy Saturday morning
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,307 Senior Member
    Took the little dog for a walk this morning. Put the KelTec P3AT in pocket of my shorts.
    At 0830 it was already 84 and felt like 90. 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,667 Senior Member
    I carry pretty much one pistol regularly, a Glock 23. I have a Glock 19 long slide I put together that I carry too (it mainly rides in the Jeep for short trips).  When I’m in the mountains I’ll carry a 44special Ruger flattop, or 44 special gp100. I don’t carry my 1911’s as much as I use to. I carried one for duty what seems like a lifetime ago but I still go through the basics as Zee puts it, to stay comfortable carrying one. All that said I still do my dryfire and presentation drills just as I did for duty. 5 by the numbers draws SLOWLY, with 10 dry fires. Two with each draw. Load Reno later and carry. Every time I put one on. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    Doctor says i'm carrying too much weight around my waist.

• North ForestNorth Forest Member Posts: 358 Member
    I'm still carrying my SA XDs .45 with extended mag in a slightly canted Desantis at 3:00. For me the whole package works well. Conceals well, "comfortable" (compared to others), is fast to draw, reliable and effective. House gun is still the S&W model 19, truck gun is still the clunky but reliable SA XDM .45. Trail gun is S&W 629 in an old Thompson leather shoulder rig.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,518 Senior Member
    Not allowed to have even a spent casing at work and I cant really leave home for anything other than work right now, so I dont have a carry gun right now.  If need be I have options in the places I frequent in the house.  Not usually something I would carry though.  The only "defense" gun that has a dedicated use is the G40 when I go camping in the UP.  At that it is a center console gun with a holster in case I end up having to walk back to town for some reason.  Not exactly the top of the food chain in that area if things are motivated enough.  15+1 gives me some opportunities to miss and maybe still have a chance.  Who am I kidding, I dont get enough practice in and will probably end up as a turd anyways.
  • tinytanktinytank Posts: 8 New Member
    Went out for a late-late night walk last night only carrying an AK pistol (more out of habit than self defense, honestly).
    It fits well in the leather holster I got for it as well!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,030 Senior Member
    tinytank said:
    Went out for a late-late night walk last night only carrying an AK pistol (more out of habit than self defense, honestly).
    It fits well in the leather holster I got for it as well!
    Pics or it did not happen :)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Doves_IndefinitelyDoves_Indefinitely Posts: 126 Member
    edited June 2020 #52
    GunNut said:
    Wife and I decided to go for a short 40 min walk to to get the blood pumping.  Just around the neighborhood, very safe here so I just slipped this into the waistband of my sweats.  S&W Model 60 in a soft Uncle Mike's holster.  Can't even see it under the light shirt I was wearing and I've been practicing quite a bit with it so feeling pretty comfortable even with long shots.

Whatcha got on right now, or lately?
    Colt Cobra .38 Special + P with fanny pack. Revolvers are oh-so Toyota dependable!  o:)