Home Main Category General Firearms

Gun room in garage... gets very cold and hot and humid... any ideas?

gdub7902gdub7902 Posts: 1 New Member
I’d like to build a little gun room in my garage. I live in Iowa where the winters are very cold and the summers are hot and humid. I’m concerned about the rapid change in weather and the humidity. I can use vapor barrier along with regular insulation. Also, a dehumidifier during the summer. I have guns of all kinds... any ideas/suggestions?

Answers

• Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,490 Senior Member
    They make insulated garage doors.  Golden rod in your safe is a must.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,673 Senior Member
    Vapor barrier and insulation, and temp control. You need heat in there to keep the air moving

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    A mini-split heat pump should regulate the temperature nicely.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,272 Senior Member
    Rapid changes in temperature will cause condensation, cold gun in warm run!! So temp control should be your first priority. If you are building a small room it should be easy to heat with a small space heater. I live in Florida, but I lived in Wisconsin before I moved here, and heat and humidity here is more extreme than in Iowa. My shop is my garage. I have a small gun safe to there to keep my works in progress. A Goldenrod in the safe has kept the moisture under control, and I make sure everything is well oiled!! I believe there are stand alone units that can heat and cool and vent outside.