Home Main Category Clubhouse

Yoga Pants and today's attire rant.

DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 705 Senior Member
Is it just me or does It seem that every gal today, both young and old, are clones of each other with their yoga pants? Around the house I fully get it - gotta be comfortable, right? However, in public, have some class for pete sakes! How I miss seeing a classy gal wearing a nice dress, beautiful done up hair and the works. And the guys - what in god's name is with wearing pants that are pulled down clear to your ankles or pants so tight that you can identify the date on a dime, a nickel and two pennies by the outline in the pocket? 

It's funny when I think about my pop. He'd be besides himself with these new fashion trends of today. He was a guy who wouldn't be caught dead wearing shorts let alone "flip-flops" in public. "Shorts are for hiking and camping, and flip-flops, or "shower shoes" as they were called, was so you didn't catch athletes foot from the shower floor!" And he always wore a hat. I still laugh at the thought that anytime there was a knock at the door and he wasn't in his Sunday best, he'd rush into his room and put on his slacks and shirt just to open the door and greet someone. 

When I look at old pics from the early 1900's up until around, say, the 50's, people knew how to dress back then. Looking nice wasn't about trying to impress but rather it was about  being respectful. 

Replies

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,088 Senior Member
    We need "common sense" yoga pants laws.  >:)
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,065 Senior Member
    My opinion is split regarding yoga pants.
    Some women should not wear them..
    The ones that look great in yoga pants, I like them even better when they take them off......... :D
    But I agree that dress standards have dropped over the years.

When has it ever been acceptable that women wear 'PJ's when going to the shops.......?

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,138 Senior Member
    If I met the guywho invented yoga pants, I'd kiss him on the mouth for three Mississippi's.....

Few years back my stepson qualfied for the State swim meet. It was held on THE Ohio State University campus......

O M F G !

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    I just got back from Home Depot. 6am. Sat morn no yoga pants. Hardly any people. Im happy. I don't care how they dress as long as they're somewhere else.
    :curmudgeon: emoji here.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,473 Senior Member
    Most days, I am just glad they are wearing clean underwear.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,710 Senior Member
    It's none of my business what other people choose to wear, but maybe that's my millennial showing. 

Of course, I'm also of the opinion that the social expectation of makeup is an archaic component of the objectification of women. If she (or he, for that matter) choose to wear makeup, have at it. However, I don't wear any and I personally feel its hypocritical to expect women to.  
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,701 Senior Member
    Yoga pants don’t lie. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,188 Senior Member
    Yeah. . .I'm a bit more on the other side of the fence on this.  If the standards get even lower on the bottom end of the social "dress code", the top end will hopefully follow.

With any luck, we'll see an end to suits, ties, shirts buttoned all the way up, useless dress shoes, pantyhose, ANYTHING you can't run through a washing machine, jewelry, makeup, hair "product", watches prettier than Casio G-Shocks, etc...

Take a bath.  Shave a couple times a week (or not).  Put on slacks and a polo shirt and call it good.  If it's past late spring, rock the shorts.  That's my dress code for the President or for the Oscars.

If I have to be physically uncomfortable all day for you to get the impression I respect you, get used to feeling disrespected.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 705 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    I always figured they need to put a squeeze chute by the area where they sell yoga pants...if Ya can't get through, ya can't wear them pants,,,
    I agree. Lol! 
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,811 Senior Member
    We need a pencil test for yoga pants.

Or not.

I don't really care.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    I just got back from Home Depot. 6am. Sat morn no yoga pants. Hardly any people. Im happy. I don't care how they dress as long as they're somewhere else.
    :curmudgeon: emoji here.
    Yeah, like in Wally World; a place I tend to avoid.

As for me, I like my blue jeans and boots, and I even have dress blue jeans for those special occasions.  It drives my wife crazy sometimes.  I also always wear a hat in public, and it's not always a ball cap.

Now I'll just kick back and wait for our resident fashionista to chime in; Zorba...  :D
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,481 Senior Member
    Oh I love yoga pants!  Some are GREAT to look at and some give you a hearty laugh!!!  What's there not to like  :D
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,857 Senior Member
    Why are we discussing yoga pants, when there are larger issues that need to be addressed?

Like.....  there's starving beagles in this world.

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,234 Senior Member
    My uncle used to say yoga pants larger than size 8 should be outlawed. 
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,967 Senior Member
    edited April 25 #18
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,900 Senior Member
    edited April 25 #19

Don't want to be judged? Don't wear them in public. You're within your right to wear them and I'm within my right to openly criticize because public is public domain and I'm exercising my freedom to express my dislike with your poor choice of wardrobe. I just hope the fat yoga pants wearin' rhino doesn't charge at me. Listen, if you're Okay with the mocking then go for it.

On the other hand, if you can Rock a pair of yoga pants -- more power to you.
    Like Zorba might say, if you've got it, flaunt it. And I'll be sure to do my part in expressing my appreciation.
    Just learn to accept the bulging eyes as a compliment.
    👍

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,497 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    Yeah. . .I'm a bit more on the other side of the fence on this.  If the standards get even lower on the bottom end of the social "dress code", the top end will hopefully follow.

With any luck, we'll see an end to suits, ties, shirts buttoned all the way up, useless dress shoes, pantyhose, ANYTHING you can't run through a washing machine, jewelry, makeup, hair "product", watches prettier than Casio G-Shocks, etc...

Take a bath.  Shave a couple times a week (or not).  Put on slacks and a polo shirt and call it good.  If it's past late spring, rock the shorts.  That's my dress code for the President or for the Oscars.

If I have to be physically uncomfortable all day for you to get the impression I respect you, get used to feeling disrespected.
    Yep. I will never again wear a suit or tie under ANY circumstances. And if you want comfortable, wear a skirt!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Never understood why a suit would be uncomfortable.  I have no issues with them and actually look forward to dressing in a little more that my regular rags on occasion.  The only part of standard business attire that I ever felt was unnecessary was the tie and they are going the way of the dodo bird.  I can’t remember the last time I wore one.  In Europe they are all but extinct.

Maybe it’s my outdated preconceptions but when some millennial with the next best tech idea does a presentation for me in shorts and flip flops I have a very hard time taking it serious enough to write Big checks...  my boss has thrown out a few from meetings.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

GunNut said:
    Never understood why a suit would be uncomfortable.  I have no issues with them and actually look forward to dressing in a little more that my regular rags on occasion.  The only part of standard business attire that I ever felt was unnecessary was the tie and they are going the way of the dodo bird.  I can’t remember the last time I wore one.  In Europe they are all but extinct.

Maybe it’s my outdated preconceptions but when some millennial with the next best tech idea does a presentation for me in shorts and flip flops I have a very hard time taking it serious enough to write Big checks...  my boss has thrown out a few from meetings.
    A good tailored suit and a well made pair of American made dress shoes are quite comfortable. 
    GunNut said:

A good tailored suit and a well made pair of American made dress shoes are quite comfortable. 
    Yep!  

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,497 Senior Member
    edited April 26 #24
    Not comfortable to me. Too hot, too tight around the neck. I don't want to hear the old saw about "if it fits correctly, it isn't uncomfortable" - because it doesn't matter how loose a necktie and buttoned up collared shirt are, they're uncomfortable. Did I mention hot? And Goddess forbid this nonsensical male jacket be anything but wool. Who invented this crap? What is it with male fashion that demands a high and tight collar? Collars are for dogs and BDSM games.
    Some may not be able to "take seriously" someone in casual attire - but the reverse is true as well: I take an immediate dislike and strong distrust of anyone in a suit and find it difficult to take them seriously. "Who are you trying to fool?" They have an uphill road to prove themselves to me - I'm supposed to automatically give credence because of the way someone is dressed? Really? How fake.
    Thankfully, this nonsensical male dress code is indeed going the way of the Dodo bird. After 200+ years, its about time, an end at last to the countless "interchangeable drones". You want me to dress "nicely"? Trust me, I can do so without resorting to tight collars, neckties, or wool jackets. I might even wear pants! And I'll be cool and comfortable. Even the most formal outfit I own - although it is indeed very hot, at least isn't tight around the neck nor has a jacket, wool or otherwise, involved with it.
    I cannot deal with tight things around my neck or wrists. I don't wear a wristwatch because I find them uncomfortable, never mind silly long sleeve shirts buttoned tightly at the wrists. Even my dance jewelry is mostly loose bangles instead of tight bracelets.

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 481 Member
    I like the looks of wearing a nice suit, but I have clinical OCD and it messes with me too much to try to keep things in order, and too restrictive. Sit down and your tucked shirt pulls on your neck, constantly centering the knot of my tie, etc...
    zorba said:
    Not comfortable to me. Too hot, too tight around the neck. I don't want to hear the old saw about "if it fits correctly, it isn't uncomfortable" - because it doesn't matter how loose a necktie and buttoned up collared shirt are, they're uncomfortable. Did I mention hot? And Goddess forbid this nonsensical male jacket be anything but wool. Who invented this crap? What is it with male fashion that demands a high and tight collar? Collars are for dogs and BDSM games.
    Some may not be able to "take seriously" someone in casual attire - but the reverse is true as well: I take an immediate dislike and strong distrust of anyone in a suit and find it difficult to take them seriously. "Who are you trying to fool?" They have an uphill road to prove themselves to me - I'm supposed to automatically give credence because of the way someone is dressed? Really? How fake.
    Thankfully, this nonsensical male dress code is indeed going the way of the Dodo bird. After 200+ years, its about time, an end at last to the countless "interchangeable drones". You want me to dress "nicely"? Trust me, I can do so without resorting to tight collars, neckties, or wool jackets. I might even wear pants! And I'll be cool and comfortable. Even the most formal outfit I own - although it is indeed very hot, at least isn't tight around the neck nor has a jacket, wool or otherwise, involved with it.
    I cannot deal with tight things around my neck or wrists. I don't wear a wristwatch because I find them uncomfortable, never mind silly long sleeve shirts buttoned tightly at the wrists. Even my dance jewelry is mostly loose bangles instead of tight bracelets.

• joeg52joeg52 Member Posts: 101 Member
    I have never understood why anyone would want to stuff their shirt inside their pants. That is one of the most uncomfortable ways to dress and makes no sense.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,317 Senior Member
    edited April 26 #28

+2 My son had an aversion to suits also. However those that he had were off the rack while growing up because he outgrew whatever was bought in 3 months, In college, he needed to give a presentation for a project. I told him to come home and I made an appointment. When I got out of college my parents did the same for me. A new good quality suit tailored to me. (I still have it, it still looks good, and it still fits 30 years later) I was watching him looking at himself in the mirror while people who knew what they were doing put different colors, fabrics and cuts on him. His stance changed. There is a difference in your attitude when you are dressed than when you are casual. When you are dressed and look good, that is one less thing to think about in an interview or presentation. 

From the other side, if someone cant be bothered to dress the part, how do you know they will bother to do any of the other things they say?

Back to Yoga pants.

Yoga pants are like Reeses peanut butter cups. Chocolate from Europe, and Peanut butter from Georgia no reason to be put together but they are wonderful. Yoga pants and hooker boots.. same thing. Definitive proof that God is a man.
    There should be cull gates though. If you can fit through this, you can shop in this dept. Probably need a series of 3 reductions to get to yoga pants though. Yoga pants are a privilege, not a right.

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,754 Senior Member
    GunNut said:

How come when we hover over agree or other items we can see who says the same, but disagree is hidden?

I never liked wearing my dress uniform when in the Army. When tailored to regulation it was just too tight. Years later I learned that it took more tailor work than sleeves and cuffs to be comfortable.  Same with a suit, off the rack unless you are perfect for it, a tailor is needed.  Once you get a quality properly fitted shirt, a tie is bearable now and then 

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 546 Senior Member
    zorba said:

And just like that the old forum is back.