Home Main Category Clubhouse

I think its time I "came out" to this forum...

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 23,498 Senior Member
edited April 26 in Clubhouse #1
No, not THAT way, but I got you to click, no?
I'll share something with you that I've never shared online before - but it may help some to understand me a bit better. Presented as data, not as an excuse...
I'm what is colloquially known as an "Aspie". I have Aspberger's syndrome, or high functioning Autism, Now as far as such things go, I'm not "very far up the spectrum", even by Aspie standards, but I *am* there.
Thus intense interests, not giving a tinker's damn what others do/think/say, marching to my own drummer, etc are part and parcel of this - not that I'm telling anyone here anything new! Not liking tight clothing is part of it too.
That is all. Questions/comments MORE than welcome...

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

Replies

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,675 Senior Member
    edited April 26 #2
    I am mostly the same way except I don't have Asperger's. I am just an uncaring dick according to my wife. Only difference is I am not fond of dresses.

You're probably more "normal" than many of us.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,754 Senior Member
    No surprise Zorba, your just YOU
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,498 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    No surprise Zorba, your just YOU
    Probably not exactly a shocking revelation to many/most - still, I had to think about it for awhile.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Eccentricity greases the wheels of momentum.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,789 Senior Member
    But, you are still our Zorba!! <3
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,473 Senior Member
    A smart, OCD, quirky dude, not surprised at all:)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,900 Senior Member
    I went through my local university's Bachelor program with a dude that had both Tourette's and HFA. Aside from his clumsiness, almost constant jerkiness, inhaling large volumes of air spontaneously from time to time and the very rare sporadic craziness that came out of his mouth, he was a pretty cool dude and smart.
    But to anyone not familiar with his condition, he often came across as an ass-burger dillhole (see what I did there?)
    Anyway, I knew the guy for four years and learn to accept his quirkiness. You can't always judge a book by its cover.
    Btw, he was also strongly opinionated and I accepted that about him (I didn't always agree but it didn't matter). I considered him one of my better friends at school (mostly because he couldn't keep a secret or opinion to himself -- open book and no aires about him)
    Cool dude. Took some getting used to though. 😁

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

edited April 27 #9
    I don't have Tourette's, but your friend's inhaling sounds like a "stim". I do have some "stims" that I do - mainly nonsense words when I'm putting myself to sleep. I call it "AspieBlather", drives my wife nuts! I tend to be an open book, and certainly am opinionated (said with droll smile). Many computer nerds are Aspies of one sort or another, and even the "Hacker's Dictionary" describes us as "Very intolerant of people or situations perceived as wasting their time" - which certainly applies to me, along with things that waste my money.
    Yea, I'm an inherent klutz, which is probably what brought me to dance - craving something I don't inherently have: Grace and beauty. My hand/eye coordination sucks, part of that is my monocular vision. I suck at most sports, partially because of said vision - esp. anything involving objects flying through the air! Shooting attracts me because its a sharp challenge to solve the 3d puzzle a given target/situation is - plus its fun of course! Like dance, its a, or can be a, "compete against yourself" activity, which Aspies generally prefer. You might be surprised at how much my dance training has helped my shooting - you wouldn't think so, but things like posture and breathe control are similar.
    Its an interesting journey for sure - maybe I'll have it figured out by the time I reach the end of it! It has its plusses and minuses - it enables me to "walk many paths" that most wouldn't mix together. OTOH, I don't understand "why not", so I "follow my bliss" as the saying goes.

• bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 475 Member
    Zorba, you're an interesting dude. Between the sequens, skirts, etc. I really wondered back in the day how that would fly here. But, it's just interesting to me. 
    Hang in there with all of it. 'Stay the course'.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,851 Senior Member
    Just wondering why you felt compelled to tell us this? I was, like I’m sure most others were, willing to accept you as just an eclectic soul. So why put a label on it?
    Meh, I thought long and hard about it. One of my many quirks is to attempt to understand both myself and others - and the more data I have, the easier it is to do so. *shrug* Labeled or not, its still the same!

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,663 Senior Member
    Well that explains it.  When I saw that Dollar Highpoint, I thought maybe you had been possessed by the spirit of a dead pimp, but I guess not.  Hang in there, we like you just the way you are.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,900 Senior Member
    edited April 28 #14
    You were thinking about Huggy Bear weren't you?

:D
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 475 Member
    And just imagine the torment you'd have rec'd if you 'came out' as one of us .270 owners.
    I can't believe I just outed myself.....
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,659 Senior Member
    Anything else :*
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,857 Senior Member
    bklysen said:
    And just imagine the torment you'd have rec'd if you 'came out' as one of us .270 owners.
    I'm a .270 owner, and when tormented beyond my forbearance, I've been known to throw it at them.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,337 Senior Member
    I'm a .270 owner, and when tormented beyond my forbearance, I've been known to throw it at them.

Mike
    If ya throw it at them and hit them with it, then it would have more FPE energy on impact. :D
    I don't think Zorba is strange. But I was in the Navy, and worked in nuke plants for 25 years. Compared to them, he isn't in any way strange or weird, to me.
    <snip>
    Thus intense interests, not giving a tinker's damn what others do/think/say, marching to my own drummer, etc are part and parcel of this - not that I'm telling anyone here anything new! Not liking tight clothing is part of it too.
    There's more than a few of us here that have some pretty intense interests outside shooting and hunting. And more than a few that don't care what others think or care about a particular subject. That's pretty normal. I find your collection of old sewing machines pretty interesting. They're mechanical devices, and not much I'm not interested in as far as mechanical devices go. Just keep  on keeping on!

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike said:They're mechanical devices, and not much I'm not interested in as far as mechanical devices go. Just keep  on keeping on!

Well, now I have a Jeep. I haven't done this much to a vehicle in at least 20 years! Always something.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,754 Senior Member
    bklysen said:

Mike
    Lord knows shooting it at someone wouldn't do anything
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 481 Member
    You may be an eccentric individual, but I guess we all are in some form or another. And besides that, i like being judged by first appearance so that way I know who to discount first and not waste my time getting to know.
    You may be an eccentric individual, but I guess we all are in some form or another. And besides that, i like being judged by first appearance so that way I know who to discount first and not waste my time getting to know.
    A technique I have used quite a bit in my time - although sometimes people will "come around".