Home Main Category General Firearms

Homebrew .38 ratshot experiment

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 12,043 Senior Member
Finally got some outside shooting time, and got to test out a couple of .38 special loads. 

Both of these were 4grains of Trail Boss. 

First one was 7 stacked copper gas checks, shot at about 5 feet from a 4” S&W model 10:

Not very spectacular performance. Not a good spread, and lots of gaps. 

This was closer to “conventional” snake shot-  4 grains of Trailboss, then one gas check. Fill the case with #7 shot, then cap with an upside down gas check and heavy crimp:

Now that’s more like it!  I definitely think this one will be played with more. I think this will be part of my ranch load-out. 
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Looks good.
    Smaller shot would likely give a denser pattern.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,201 Senior Member
    That would work on all the grouse that just stand there and stare at me during deer season.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,043 Senior Member
    Yeah, I will probably do the next loads with smaller shot, but for this test, I just cut open a 12 Gauge shell to get the shot.

And that will probably take me forever to use up.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,568 Senior Member
    I am glad no rats were harmed in your experiments.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    edited April 2020 #6
    KP speaks absolute truth. I forget the powder I used, but 38 Spl loaded with #12 shot at 10-12 feet distance makes snakes die faster than I've seen anything die.
    If you can imagine a snake simply "slumping", that's what they do. I've blown cottonmouths and rattlers in half (or more) with #6 from a 12 gauge that still had a bit of fight left in them. Not so with a .38 Special stuffed with #12. That's the ultimate snake solution.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,551 Senior Member
    did did something similar some years ago with 44 mag cases. Used a wonderwad between powder and shot, think I used#9 with a heavy card wad on top and a bit of elmers glue to seal the card. They shot very well and patterned pretty decent as I recall.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Finally got some outside shooting time, and got to test out a couple of .38 special loads. 

Both of these were 4grains of Trail Boss. 

First one was 7 stacked copper gas checks, shot at about 5 feet from a 4” S&W model 10:

Not very spectacular performance. Not a good spread, and lots of gaps. 

This was closer to “conventional” snake shot-  4 grains of Trailboss, then one gas check. Fill the case with #7 shot, then cap with an upside down gas check and heavy crimp:

Now that’s more like it!  I definitely think this one will be played with more. I think this will be part of my ranch load-out. 

I like that last one. That patterned better than some shotguns I've seen. That is definitely minute of Buzztail.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    edited April 2020 #9
    Now ya gone and done it. Now you got me re-interested in loading for my .38-.357. Maybe my 9 too because during this CoronaVirus lockdown farce I can't find 9mm.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.