Home Main Category General Firearms

Mixed bag range report.

Elk creekElk creek Senior MemberPosts: 7,370 Senior Member
So being a patriot I decided to defy the silly “everything is closed” laws and headed to the range. Normally there would be a few people there, but today it was me and a grandpa with his grandsons new rifle! Very cool. 

Today I took my CZ455 Fullstock, and my winchester(miroku) 1886 extra light weight 45-70. 

First up was the 86’  I had some good reloads the marlin likes. Right out of the shoot “click” damn! Check to see if the safety was engaged, nope. Pulled the hammer back again, boom. The next round went off fine. Well, half of the ammo I brought didn’t go off on the first try but the second, except two. I did manage to get it to hit a 10” style plate at 100 yards with 10 rounds and  the same plate at 150 with 15 rounds. I wasn’t doing any accuracy work today with the 86 after the issue. 

The other rifle I took was the CZ455. That thing is amazing! I mean Effing amazing! I took my go to bulk accuracy ammo, Federal Auto Match bulk pack. At 25 yards after an initial zero with a weaver K4 ...here it is. Five rounds at 25 yards. 

After I got homeI fixed the 86’. I knew light primer strikes are common the the 86 but dang! So, I did the common fix. I cut the rebounding hammer fork off the hammer strut! All good, crap now the safety won’t engage. I had to go back and fit the tang safety to fit when  the rifle is brought to “half cock” it was only a few thousands out so no biggie. Now I have a fully functioning 45-7o 1886 with a full fall hammer and tang safety. I’ll have to go back to the range to see it that did it. But I bet it did! 

Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

Replies