Home Main Category Clubhouse

What's wrong here? Why is this place in decline?

Replies

• JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 1,080 Senior Member
    I'm also over at that campfire forum that a few others here said they regular. Funny thing there is that there's zero, no, nada moderation and the place doesn't melt down. There's name calling and bickering but everyone's cool at the end of the day. And the problems take care of themselves too. Its nice to want a site with boyscout behavior but its not really feasible. 
    We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,986 Senior Member
    I love coming to this forum.  I visit it daily.  I was a member from 2004 until some computer/server issues around 2010?  I then became active again after I got divoriced in 2012.  I've seen quite a few members come and go.  I try not to shake the boat too much.  I very much enjoy the conversation and knowledge level of the members.   

Whoever is in charge.....keep it up!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,540 Senior Member
    Some days I get PMs saying we over-moderate and we're ass-hats. Some days I get PMs saying "Can't you muzzle this guy"?.....

Can't please every one.

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 1,080 Senior Member
    I don't mind if people talk crap to one another as long as everyone gets an equal shot.
    We've been conditioned to believe that obedience is virtuous and voting is freedom- 
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,851 Senior Member
    sakodude said:
    “Cow bells, we need more cow bells”
    That's actually a great idea!
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,554 Senior Member
    edited May 2020 #38
    My kids were raised around guns but when I suggested they might become members, my youngest girl just gave me a snearing face and said, "Isn't that were all you old guys hang out?" She was trying to be mean. Of course, I gave her the look. Then she said she watches the stuff online.
    https://www.gunsandammo.com/show/guns-and-ammo-tv/181995
    It seems these days, if you don't have a Podcast, Video Channel, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram feed you're just doing things the old fashion way. That's the reason I asked, "How much do you want this place to change?"
    Personally, I like it the way it is. (Without the bickering, of course.) I come here for the fun, comradery and the love of all things guns. There's other forums out there but when we're not tearing each other a new one, this is a really cool place just to hang out.
    My 2¢ on that.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    My daughter calls it my "manly Facebook"  :D
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,687 Senior Member
    Actually, I see that this place has been in a resurgence for the last several months.  A lot of old members are returning, and we are getting more new members as well.

There are a couple of reasons that this place has not grown like other firearms social media platforms (like ar15.com), and reasons that this place is still alive (unlike thehighroad.com).  A lot of it goes to management, and a lot goes to the membership.

But as with most things- you should BE the change you want to see.  Want more threads on a certain topic- start them!

(Personally I would like to see SS3 start the threads he talked about.  I am interested in all that stuff just dont have the time to really research it)
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,809 Senior Member
    Well Snake, perhaps you should just take your .270's and go. ;)

There is certainly some technological stagnation in the gun industry.  Some of this is due to regulations quashing the desire of any engineer to get into the field, but some of it is due to the fact that it's a mature technology field filled with plenty of things that are up to the task of most conceivable jobs.  Just how whizz-bang does a claw hammer have to be?  The short version is that there ISN'T much new to talk about.

And then there is the change of format of information sharing.  Being of a "happy with what works" bent, I've been a paragon of cultural decline since my late teens.  It was rough going from Commodore 64's (which I didn't have a serious handle on anyway) to P.C.'s; it was rough going from WordPerfect to M.S. Word; I hated having to keep private Microsoft stuff compartmentalized in my head away from the Apple-based point-of-sale software we used at work; I have not moved from compact discs to whatever i-poddy things are in vogue this week; and as I probably don't utilize a tenth of what it can do, my cell phone is probably significantly "smarter" than I am (What's an app?); I have and likely will continue to gnash my teeth at forum upgrades.  In short, if the binary choices are change or die, I don't automatically see Option B as the one to avoid.

I first encountered this forum as something to do during down time at work around 2003.  Have not significantly branched out, and have even pruned most of that.  It does what I need it to do.  If it's not how the cool kids play these days, well, I never was cool.

And what, really, is wrong with old guys and Luddites having a place of their own? 
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    I will always gravitate to bolt actions, single shot rifles in rolling block and falling block, levers, and pump actions. Their lines and construction is a lot more simple than the semi auto rifles, and they tend to be more accurate. And failure of actions is a function of parts count; the more parts, the higher probability of failure. And in hunting, that first shot is the one that really counts.
    The semi autos have their place, though. They just don't have that classic look. I own my share of semi autos, but they don't hold my interest like the manually loaded rifles. I guess I'm just an old geezer that likes the old actions better. And tuning the rifle to a specific load is easier, too.
    I got my fill of full auto in the Navy and the state National Guard. Fun for a short time, but the only bullet out of them that tended to hit the target with any accuracy was the first one out of the barrel; everything else following it was all over the place. And the further from the target you fired, the more accuracy suffered. Even with the slow rate of fire from a Brownning M2 .50 BMG, and that's one HEAVY hunk of machine gun.
    I like to look at the new stuff that comes out. But, to me, all that plastic fantastic stuff isn't all that and a  bag of chips. The old designs survive because they are still relevant, and efficient at what they can do.
    Yep! I'm an old Luddite geezer! :D
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    I finally saw the ad here big enough to read. Im good at ignoring that stuff even without ad blocker stuff.

Beard Balm???
    Really??? What in the hell???
    I guess Im getting old too.
    Back in my day.........
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,098 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    Personally, I like it the way it is. (Without the bickering, of course.) I come here for the fun, comradery and the love of all things guns. There's other forums out there but when we're not tearing each other a new one, this is a really cool place just to hang out. 
    My 2¢ on that.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,675 Senior Member
    I finally saw the ad here big enough to read. Im good at ignoring that stuff even without ad blocker stuff.

Beard Balm???
    Back in my day.........
    Yeah...I use the stuff..and beard wash too...took me 68 years to grow a proper beard and I'm gonna pamper it...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    I aint having no white beard on my face. Maybe when my years catch up to the color. If I live long enough.....
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    edited May 2020 #47
    Jayhawker said:

Beard Balm???
    Back in my day.........
    Yeah...I use the stuff..and beard wash too...took me 68 years to grow a proper beard and I'm gonna pamper it...
    Yep, after playing with about 10 different kinds of Mustache waxes I decided to make my own.  A lot of commercial stuff out there is absolute crap and this mustache deserves the best!!!

What are you using?
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I use Barbasol, Enzo.  I wax my mustache right off of my upper lip every morning with it  :D
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    For wax I have used a product from Buffalo Gals for years...great stuff.

Right now I'm using Beard Wash and Beard Butter from Beard Guyz
    edited May 2020 #50
    And as to the OP...there's not a Damn thing "wrong" with the forum/board...it evolves, just like everything in life...
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,395 Senior Member
    I don't think the site is in decline, but think interest in guns has declined in general everywhere.  Just about every gun I know of has been reviewed multiple times (same song, same melody.)  And there's not many new guns have been introduced lately, latest I know of are the Ft Smith Walthers and the problematic Python...perhaps released too soon.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    And as to the OP...there's not a Damn thing "wrong" with the forum/board...it evolves, just like everything in life...
    Agreed.  My Original thread was not meant as a condemnation of the Forum and if it came across that way I apologize.  It has changed and it is what it is.  EVERYTHING changes and you adapt or move on.

I really just was looking for positive ways to increase traffic.  I've been pretty happy with the way things are lately.  Lots of old members have come back and it's good to catch up with them.  I still think I'd be great to get some more new blood but G&A's management of this site really does not lend itself to do this.  I don't know who runs their online publication and social media but it is FAR for being attractive to the new generation of shooters out there (or even any of the tech/online savvy) and their continued push for paper instead of online will probably be the demise of the magazine at some point.  Oh well, all eras have an end.

I will say I do belong to a few other boards.  That was never the case before but it is now, and I can say first hand that there is still not another site like this one out there.  We might not get the traffic of others, but dear Lord I will take quality against the COPIOUS trash that is out there all day long.  And even on the boards with a lot of traffic there is a small contingent of folks that make the lion's share of the posting, and yes there is a small % of asswipes on EVERY board just trying to stir pots or be contentious for the sake of being contentious.

Here we have been more like a group of buddies that gets together at the local bar.  There is a core of folks that are always here, there is a bunch that come and go in sells and there are folks that come in once or twice, decide there is not enough entertainment or don't feel like they fit in and never come back again.  The "regulars" for the most part like "most" of the other folks here or they would not stay.  You even have a few real friends in the bunch, the rest of them are just good enough to hang out with.  You laugh, you get mad, you even stop talking to some for a bit but you keep coming back because the good outweighs the bad.

Overall, It's tough to keep the attention of folks on just one topic that happens to be a rather expensive hobby.  This is not like having a sewing club.  Every purchase is measured in hundreds if not thousands of dollars so showing off a new toy every week is no really doable.  Also, most members are pretty savvy abut their sport so it's not like we have a ton of questions about guns to bring here every day.

Really It's more like a bunch of buddies listening to each others stories (some over and over again) and while doing that, just kind'a thinking what you can contribute to the conversation next.

I'm good with this...

Have I ever mentioned that I know a thing or two about disassembling pdogs?

Mike
    N454casull

Mike
    Pics or it didn’t happen.  
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 491 Member
    Mechanic, eh?
    Are they difficult to reassemble?
    edited May 2020 #56
    Now, a fault of my own, no doubt, but I am a very reclusive and personal individual. 
    I don’t share personal stuff or family matters (outside of hunting/shooting) like some do here. 
    Therefore, I do t partake in the personal/family matter/prayer request posts here. Personal lives is a bridge I haven’t crossed yet. 
    That’s just me. And likely a slight against me as well. But.........that’s me. My whole family could die in a meteor crash and I wouldn’t post it here. I could catch cancer of the left butt and I’d never mention it. Idiosyncratic quirk of mine. 
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Zee said:

Mike
    Pics or it didn’t happen.  

Wish we had some pics of the 'bucket shot'. That story never gets old! :D
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    bklysen said:
    Mechanic, eh?
    Are they difficult to reassemble?
    Reassembly is not an option. Didn't you read the fine print?

Mike
    N454casull
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,546 Senior Member
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,546 Senior Member
    Zee said:
     I could catch cancer of the left butt and I’d never mention it. 
    Pics or it didn't happen :)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,674 Senior Member

Some days I get PMs saying we over-moderate and we're ass-hats. Some days I get PMs saying "Can't you muzzle this guy"?.....

Can't please every one.

Mike

You should muzzle the guys who post stuff I dont like, but only when I dont like it, ass-hat. :)

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.