Home Main Category Hunting

turkeys must have bought a lic

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 7,711 Senior Member
They disappeared.
Pre season I was seeing birds all over. About a week before day 1, few and far between, day one, not a cluck, gobble or yelp.
The weather has been so climate changey. Wet and cold last week, high 70's and sunny this weekend, snow forecast next Sat.
I dunno. I like hunting my property but if there were birds elsewhere I would seek permission, but I am not seeing birds.
It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,460 Senior Member
    edited May 2020 #2
    This is another way to do it.

Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,757 Senior Member
    I don't know much about Turkeys - don't they have one of those long spikes on their feet?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,711 Senior Member
    That thing in like a biden for turkeys. Close in on the hen and grope.

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    I don't know much about Turkeys - don't they have one of those long spikes on their feet?
    Yep they are called spurs,  Just like roosters but bigger.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    They disappeared.
    Pre season I was seeing birds all over. About a week before day 1, few and far between, day one, not a cluck, gobble or yelp.
    The weather has been so climate changey. Wet and cold last week, high 70's and sunny this weekend, snow forecast next Sat.
    I dunno. I like hunting my property but if there were birds elsewhere I would seek permission, but I am not seeing birds.
    Just like deer, those little meat critters KNOW.  I would see 100 deer in the field behind my barn all year long.  Opening day?  Woooooosh...  They evaporated!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,757 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    That's right - now I remember. Thanx for the prod.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,762 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    Big ass hooks!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    That’s the #1 hate about Spring gobbler season in PA: it starts LATE.  Really late by NE standards.  I have a friend who killed his first bird with a bow out here on/about *March 23*.

I get that PA wants to protect a full hen nesting cycle, but it’s murder when you have patterned birds ad they move on to new areas looking for hot hens, and you get left scratching your head.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    edited May 2020 #10
    For the most part it works. Thing is this year we are still having late winter. There was a frost warning night before last, and another tonight. Thurs morning it was 28. They were out in force pre season, but they are on eggs now not so much because of the time of the season, just all the anti global climate change we have been having.
    I was out this morning and saw nothing. It was 40 and rain. Had enough by 10A

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,853 Senior Member
    Turkeys  HA
    When we go fishing in the WMA near me I see deer, hogs, and turkey almost every time.
    Last year there have been no Turkey registered. Went looking for why.  This year gate locked for Covid-19, 2019  closed for flooding, 2018 drought wma closed for fire safety, 2017 area again was flooded.  Of course on a bass boat you don;t notice the roads in were swamped out.
     Weather getting all of us
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,460 Senior Member
    edited May 2020 #12
    Cold in GA tonight, and last night.  I woke up at 3:30 this morning to take a whiz and it was cold.  I thought my AC was malfunctioning tried to set it but I was sleep numb so I got cover and crawled back in bed.  It was 51F this morning, which won't sound like cold to you guys up north, but hell, this is May 8 in GA.  Turned the heat on this afternoon.

I wouldn't get up at 5 am and sit in the cold woods to see a pissant eat a bale of hay.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    edited May 2020 #13
    below freezing with snow this AM. Its Mayberuary
    below freezing with snow this AM. Its Mayberuary
    Yeah, I've killed them in that kind of weather (Heater Buddy in the blind and the whole bit).  It sure doesn't make it any easier or fun.  Don't blame you one bit for calling it at 10AM.
    zorba said:
    Yep - these puppies.  Gotta watch to make sure you secure the legs after the kill.  The bird will kick for a while, and you have to time the grab in between those kicks, or risk getting sliced open [pic is not my hand].