Home Main Category Clubhouse

Fishing reports, enough Covid!

bellcatbellcat Senior MemberPosts: 2,035 Senior Member
Starting to warm up around here. One nice thing about teaching from home is that I pick my hours. Usually 6:30-1200, couple hrs in afternoon, and finish up at night. So.....my boat has been out for 2 weeks and on the water 5 times! The water is still cold but activity is improving! We’ve already had 2-3 fresh fish meals.8
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,501 Senior Member
    Northerns are fun to catch, and walleye is the best eatin' there is!!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Very nice!  Very, very, very nice!
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    I wish!  The county I live in shut down all but two boat ramps.  One is on a lake too shallow for my boat.  The other is way too busy.  I am not going near that mess.  I think I heard the boat whimper as it sat on the trailer in my back yard as I walked past it yesterday.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    I have to check to see if fishing at the piers is open here.  It’s been way too long!  
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,117 Senior Member
    Our trout opener was last Saturday...it's rare for the weather or water to be suitable for fishing this time of year...BUT it was a beautiful day...that being said....we're locals and do not fish on weekends and leave the rivers to the outlandish that flock up here for the weekends....
    No combat fishing for us....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,139 Senior Member
    NICE  I have only had walleye a couple times, but darn it is GOOD

No fishing on the pier or beach down here. Only those with ocean access can get out.
    Even the kayak dock is closed
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 509 Senior Member
    edited April 2020 #8
    What a great outing - and looks like the wind didn't beat you up too bad. And I think the 'eyes are ideal at that size.  

I gotta admit, the wind around here this time of the year off L. Michigan, can just wear a guy down.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,551 Senior Member
    Jealous does not adequately describe how I’m feeling right now!!!
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 915 Senior Member
    I'm hoping to go fishing this weekend, just off a wharf locally, with moving into winter the snapper should be in closer to shore.

Here's a pic of a 9 lb snapper I got the other year, wouldn't mind catching his brother  :D

• 2Aman2Aman Member Posts: 332 Member
    Some of our ramps recently opened up. The dolphin (mahi-mahi, not flipper) are biting well around 650 feet and the sailfish are everywhere, which is a bit rare for this time of year. 
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,769 Senior Member
    I dont have a boat, and really wish I did right now.  All the shore fishing spots are packed and nobody is catching anything.  The guys on boats are though.  Unfortunately the boat I want is a costly item that I can not justify in the current economic situation and expected couple years to follow.
    mitdr774 said:
    I dont have a boat, and really wish I did right now.  All the shore fishing spots are packed and nobody is catching anything.  The guys on boats are though.  Unfortunately the boat I want is a costly item that I can not justify in the current economic situation and expected couple years to follow.
    Boat stands for:

Break
    Out
    Another
    Thousand.....dollars, that is.

How do I know?  Yeah, I own a boat.  Boats operate under harsh conditions so maintenance is a constantly ongoing thing......especially if you run it in salt water.

Am I ready to give up my boat?  Nope!
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    mitdr774 said:
    Boat stands for:

Break
    Out
    Another

How do I know?  Yeah, I own a boat.  Boats operate under harsh conditions so maintenance is a constantly ongoing thing......especially if you run it in salt water.

I did this year.  It’s painful but when you’re not retired the expense divided by the actual amount of hours of use is just ridiculous...

Told the wife the subject would be readdressed after we retire.
    GunNut said:
    mitdr774 said:
    Boat stands for:

Break
    Out
    Another

I did this year.  It’s painful but when you’re not retired the expense divided by the actual amount of hours of use is just ridiculous...

Luckily I live where I can use it year-round......otherwise it would not be worth it.
    It is an '86 Sea Nymph that I only paid $1,800 for in 2016 including trailer and motor.  Since then between a high-end trolling motor, electric anchor winch, Humminbird sonar/navigation system, VHF radio, transom rebuild, new rigging and a new Evinrude Etec, not to mention misc. stuff, I have invested easily another $16k-$17k in it.  It doesn't look like much but the hull is absolutely solid (zero leaks) and all of the mechanicals are less than 4 years old.  We use it every chance we get and it helps that my wife loves to fish and is always up for a fishing excursion.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,538 Senior Member
    View leaving the river this past weekend:

GunNut said:
    mitdr774 said:
    Boat stands for:

Break
    Out
    Another

Luckily I live where I can use it year-round......otherwise it would not be worth it.
    It is an '86 Sea Nymph that I only paid $1,800 for in 2016 including trailer and motor.  Since then between a high-end trolling motor, electric anchor winch, Humminbird sonar/navigation system, VHF radio, transom rebuild, new rigging and a new Evinrude Etec, not to mention misc. stuff, I have invested easily another $16k-$17k in it.  It doesn't look like much but the hull is absolutely solid (zero leaks) and all of the mechanicals are less than 4 years old.  We use it every chance we get and it helps that my wife loves to fish and is always up for a fishing excursion.

It also gets used for things like this:

And this:

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,117 Senior Member
    After two straight days of heavy rain our rivers are blown out and unsafe to be on....the drift boat remains on it's trailer in the yard...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 915 Senior Member
    edited May 2020 #19

Made it out for a couple of hours with my son, two just legal size snapper (35 cm each) and a bunch of baitfish my son caught and we are cooking tomorrow for him.
    No pics of them because like a dumbass I snapchatted the fish pics, hence the scenery shot, I can assure you they looked like snapper  :p  

Fished the incoming tide from 12 noon to 2, weather was drizzly but we had a good time. 
    Made fish salad for dinner.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,139 Senior Member
    Couple of snapper are good eating. Add time with your son, I'd call that a great day
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Just because I am bored and felt like bringing this fishing thread back to the front page I am reaching back a few years for a pic of the "great white" I caught in the Florida Keys.  Ok, everybody sing with me,
    Baby Shark! Doo Doo Da Doo Doo!  Can you tell my wife is a First Grade teacher?  :D
    No I am not the one holding the business end, I was on a charter boat so I let the hired help handle the end with all the pointy bits.  :D
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    From back in March, before the base lockdown prevented us from doing such things: I set up a fishing trip for 10 of us from my squadron.  We hit the western Pacific Ocean for a day filled with yellowfin tuna, rainbow runners, mahi-mahi, and capped off with a trolling hit on a 150 lb. blue marlin on the way back to port.  Four of us took turns over 45 minutes, and I was fortunate enough to have the last shift (we let everyone who had never been on a troll hookup rotate in first).

48 total fish landed over the course of the day.

Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Cant report anything from the Keys  this week except wind and lots rain and my place smells like wet dog-
    Six Gun, very cool. Nice catch👍👍
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    2Aman said:
    Six Gun, very cool. Nice catch👍👍
    Thank you!  It was great for everyone, especially the first-timers.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    2Aman said:
    Cant report anything from the Keys  this week except wind and lots rain and my place smells like wet dog-
    Do me a favor:  stick a box fan out in your yard and point it north.  See if you can blow some of that rain up here to central FL.  We are getting a bit parched.
    Ha, will do. I have a swamp cooler in the shop..👍
    If anything will do the job, that will!