Home Main Category General Firearms

This mornings project.

Elk creekElk creek Senior MemberPosts: 6,439 Senior Member
edited May 16 in General Firearms #1
So with all this Indiana Jones talk it inspired me to complete a project I needed to get done. I had to get the lanyard ring installed on my 44special flattop. It’s fairly straight forward, drill and tap a 8-32 hole in the grip frame and screw it in. I have just been watching way to dang much Netflix! (Evil time suck!)
anyway it’s done...... the Ring itself is a Winchester post 64 saddle ring, the 8-32 pitch. They aren’t that expensive and run about 10-20 bucks. And they just happen to be the same width as a Ruger grip frame! For your viewing pleasure..... 

the lanyard itself is made of para cord and some leather ends I sewed together. I have one, a replacement, form a well known gun customizer that does beautiful work on single actions.  The first one I had fell apart once it got wet. I complained and the owner  himself scolded me for having too high of expectations for the lanyard. They had put cardboard inserts for the knot slides. Then he asked me how it got wet anyway. I responded “I actually take my guns in the field, where it’s wet and sometimes rains” he wasn’t impressed. I don’t use it any longer and will never have him do any work, ever! Anyway I have one ordered like Gun Nut is using on his Dr. jones rig.....

Oh the revolvers are 45 colt flattop- white grips. They others are 44 special flattops. 
Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,790 Senior Member
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,439 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    NICE!!!
    Thanks! It’s fun. The 45 colt is a convertible to 45acp so I guess I have the single action version..🤣
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    A handgun with a lanyard comes in real handy when layers of clothing are added or removed during weather changes in the back country.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,714 Senior Member
    Not my thing. But, looks like good work. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    Not my thing. But, looks like good work. 
    Thanks! 
    A handgun with a lanyard comes in real handy when layers of clothing are added or removed during weather changes in the back country.
    Exactly! That and those fun times crossing a river that goes bad😉
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,763 Senior Member
    Good job
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,497 Senior Member
    Elk creek said:
    Wait, what?!?!?  That never happens... 🤣

Great looking guns and the lanyard while useful for field carry really is just a nice classic aesthetic addition to a classy revolver!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

GunNut said:
    Elk creek said:

Great looking guns and the lanyard while useful for field carry really is just a nice classic aesthetic addition to a classy revolver!
    I know a guy that finally got his Custom 38wcf colt single action army back from the gunsmith having some engraving and ivory grips made for it. He took it out on a hunt in Wyoming, he made it back to camp one night and realized his holster was empty. (To Earlys comment about layers, it was under a wool coat but outside his shirt and vest.) He was sick!  He used a Tom Threepersons style holster. He told me to either use a Mexican double loop holster for fieldwork or a lanyard, both is better. He never found the revolver.  There is a very nice second gen colt with ivory grips in the Bighorn mountains somewhere.....
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    edited May 17 #11
    There are many chores that need immediate attention during bad weather or other impending events. The ability to quickly shuffle a handgun from one pocket to a different pocket, belt or shirt flap without worrying about loss is a great expedient. Such situations are a time when a robust single action revolver really shines. Offering the ability to answer the unexpected well asking nothing extraordinary for safe carry. 
    Elk creek said:
    GunNut said:
    Elk creek said:

I know a guy that finally got his Custom 38wcf colt single action army back from the gunsmith having some engraving and ivory grips made for it. He took it out on a hunt in Wyoming, he made it back to camp one night and realized his holster was empty. (To Earlys comment about layers, it was under a wool coat but outside his shirt and vest.) He was sick!  He used a Tom Threepersons style holster. He told me to either use a Mexican double loop holster for fieldwork or a lanyard, both is better. He never found the revolver.  There is a very nice second gen colt with ivory grips in the Bighorn mountains somewhere.....
    Yep, that...  BTW my second leather lanyard got here today and it’s even nicer than the first!  You’re gonna like it 😁

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Oh and my project today was touching up the worn bluing on the long barreled .45 Colt ‘17 and installing the correct S&W loop I got on eBay.  Came out MUCH better than expected.  This is pissing me off, I might need to keep this gun...  :s

GunNut said:
    Oh and my project today was touching up the worn bluing on the long barreled .45 Colt ‘17 and installing the correct S&W loop I got on eBay.  Came out MUCH better than expected.  This is pissing me off, I might need to keep this gun...  :s

That is beautiful! Only thing I’d do is shoot it! 
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 492 Member
    GunNut said:

You get rid of that and you ought to be ashamed of yourself. That is gorgeous 😍 
    Elk creek said:
    GunNut said:

GunNut said:

I know!  The damn thing is driving me nuts!!!  I only bought this gun for the freaking stags that were on it!!!

GunNut said:
    Elk creek said:
    GunNut said:

GunNut said:

I know!  The damn thing is driving me nuts!!!  I only bought this gun for the freaking stags that were on it!!!
    Well in that case box it up and ship it out west! I’ll feed it and care for it. Just might give it an adventure or two to boot! 🤣
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,642 Senior Member
    edited May 17 #18
    Good looking guns Elk.
    Gun Nut, I think you need to keep that one.

rberglof said:
    Good looking guns Elk.
    Gun Nut, I think you need to keep that one.

Thanks! 
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,812 Senior Member
    Good hustle!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,853 Senior Member
    Good looking trio!! I need one of those flat top 44 Spl’s in my life!!!
    sakodude said:
    Good looking trio!! I need one of those flat top 44 Spl’s in my life!!!
    Yes you do!! Not mine though!🤣😂