Home Main Category General Firearms

Stopped in a pawn shop on Sat gun prices off the chart

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,032 Senior Member
My oldest has been looking for anvil to trying his hand at making knives.  We stopped in a pawn shop in Wichita Falls TX.  They had a very large gun collection.  I never ever see the Browning .22LR SA in pawn shops.  They had two grade 1 with considerable scratches and dents in the stock.  I thought I might pick another one up for the ranch.  I asked how much, both were $795 and built in the 90's, so they weren't made in Belgium.  The retail list price on Brownings website for grade 1 is $699.00.  YIKES!

I feel sorry for the poor fool that spends $100 buck over retail on a used one.  On the flip side if they can get that price good for them.

They also had three anvils each $500.00.  One of them in the shop my son has seen new for $350 on line plus shipping.  This pawn shop was a bit pricey for us!
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,010 Senior Member
    Ive noticed this over the last 10-15 years.  Pawn shops are (for the most part) charging more than retail for most things.

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,703 Senior Member
    I haven't seen fair prices in a pawn shop in a long time. I don't waste my time going anymore. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,664 Senior Member
    It is the same here in South Florida.  I rarely even check them anymore.
    Since the Covid pandemic gun prices have skyrocketed down here.
    I had planned to purchase a P365, saved my "rat money" and went to buy one. When there is one available the prices are back up to 550.00 and more.  I'll wait.
    Good luck with finding an anvil, shipping makes purchasing online too expensive unless you find a screaming deal
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,256 Senior Member
    I was looking at getting a Ruger PCC but prices are over 500 now. 
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,286 Senior Member
    Since I don’t have to worry too much about their sensitivities I have pretty good luck in pawnshops.  Just because they “want” a certain price for something it does not mean I need to pay them that.  My offers usually start at about 50% of what they are asking and we can negotiate a final deal...  or not.  

I’m not mean, just factual and courteous, at times showing them prices online.  Trust me they don’t make any money if you walk out so they will try not to let you.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,422 Senior Member
    One shop here has a 40% off store wide every now and then.... I picked up a Springfield XD-9 like  new for $250 If I recall correctly. There are deals here you just have to find them 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,403 Senior Member
    edited May 18 #8
    We have a pawn shop here that is quite reasonable. Their firearms section isn't large, but what I've seen there has been priced fairly. Probably the exception.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Because many mostly deal in used guns they have a LOT of latitude on pricing.  Also because of this a lot depends on the owner/manager.  Some like small margins but fast turnover, others want to score a huge profit win on every gun and are Ok sitting on their inventory.  I weed those out rather swiftly and not frequent their places.  They pay pennies on the dollar for their used gun stock.  

It's also different when you are dealing in new stock.  not a lot of profit for them on a new Glock as it is and the competition is fierce.  I don't buy many new guns anymore.  With only a small number of exceptions there is nothing new that I really want/need.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,629 Senior Member
    Don't have a Pawnshop near me, but I would imagine as a business, like other brick and mortar businesses, they're struggling since they depend on walk-in trade. Rent, insurance, power bills haven't gone down.

Some years ago, went to my dentist in another town that had a couple of pawnshops and bought an excellent Marlin 336 for $300 OTD. But I haven't been in a pawn shop since then, but if I were a buyer, I'd try to deal on the asking price.  Understand demand for guns has increased dramatically, which for everything else raises prices, that's Economics 101.  No one is forcing anyone to buy and I don't have any need for any more guns.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Both my DVD/VCR machines came from the local pawn shop. Bought maybe 8 years ago. $40.00 and $60.00 IIRC.. The tape player died on one, the DVD player died on the other. Hence two machines. They have saved me perhaps $8,000.00 in cable tv costs. Now they mostly collect dust as I watch youtube for whatever brief time I have for sedimentary entertainment.

Prices now?  Goes against my antisocial nature to go two blocks away to find out......
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,403 Senior Member
    edited May 18 #12
    I have a Sony DVD/VCR combo that works well. Yours for the shipping if you want it.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,071 Senior Member
    edited May 18 #13
    I have a pawn shop/gun store near me that is absolutely not the place to go for a deal.....but is the place to go if you are looking for something you are not likely to find anywhere else.  Their inventory is like nothing I have ever seen before.  Thousands of guns literally stacked everywhere, many of them old/historic hard to find examples.  I imagine nearly everyone on here would find something there they want, but be prepared to pay for it...the owner will know exactly what it is worth and then try to extract even more for it.  That being said, there are enough reasonably priced guns for an occasional score.  That is where I bought my son's Marlin Glenfield Model 25.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    I have a Sony DVD/VCR combo that works well. Yours for the shipping if you want it.
    Thanks for the offer Zorba. These one's here should get me to the end of the tunnel.
    I have a pawn shop/gun store near me that is absolutely not the place to go for a deal.....but is the place to go if you are looking for something you are not likely to find anywhere else.  Their inventory is like nothing I have ever seen before.  Thousands of guns literally stacked everywhere, many of them old/historic hard to find examples.  I imagine nearly everyone on here would find something there they want, but be prepared to pay for it...the owner will know exactly what it is worth and then try to extract even more for it.  That being said, there are enough reasonably priced guns for an occasional score.  That is where I bought my son's Marlin Glenfield Model 25.
    I now that one well.  My first gun store "home" was basically the owner's private collection.  There were walls of unusual and highly collectible guns that he could not care less if he ever sold.  He would sell you one if you wanted it, but you were paying a fair retail value for the gun (a whole rack of 1873 Winchesters in exceptional condition for example).  

He sold just enough "regular" guns to stay in business and he did not need too much money for that either.  He owned the building the store was locate in and he even owned his own airplane.

If I ever own a gun store that is what it will look like...