Home Main Category General Firearms

Most modifiable .22 rf ever made?

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 7,738 Senior Member
I'm not even sure this is a valid question, or worth the post.  But, if the Ruger 10/22 isn't the answer to this question, someone please educate me.  For whatever reason, it seems this particular rifle must be the most popular .22, ever made.
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,640 Senior Member
    I don't think you will find more after market parts than for the 10/22
    Just looking at all the barrels available has given me a headache.  I don't think there is not a part that there isn't a replacement for
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 265 Member
    Most aftermarket parts definitely.  I'm not sure but I think the Marlin model 60 has been sold more.  There are almost as many MK III/IV pistol parts as well.  Both can be built from scratch without a single Ruger part.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,623 Senior Member
    As someone here mentioned, a 10-22 is like a Barbie doll.  You can keep on adding accessories.  I think the Marlin 60 has sold more, but it's cheaper or used to be, and out of the box, I think it's more accurate.  I went the 10-22 accessorizing route, got an accurate rifle, an in-between rifle, more accurate than I needed for .22 general purposes, less accurate than a purpose built target rifle.  I didn't keep records on what I spent, but I probably could have gotten a used Anschutz for a little more. 
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    10/22, no doubt. I've seen basic out of the box to builds Darth Vader would blow up a planet for.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,145 Senior Member
    Depends if you want to count AR family rimfires or not, but you can in fact build a 10/22 with ZERO parts from Ruger, including the receiver. 

I also tend to think there are more Marlin 60's in the world - at least I seem to see more of them re-sold.  Cheaper, at least as accurate, no magazines to keep track of - so definitely some perceivable perks for those who don't feel compelled to pimp their rifle like a '64 Impala.

I'd kinda like the ability to magically ask this same question back around 1930, 1940, and 1950.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,241 Senior Member
    Like Mr. Slug said.  Not too many guns you can build an example of and not use a single factory part!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    T/C Contender? :)
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,640 Senior Member
    You can change barrel and furniture, but you can even get a 80% 10/22 receiver
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,517 Senior Member
    10/22
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    I'm not even sure this is a valid question, or worth the post.  But, if the Ruger 10/22 isn't the answer to this question, someone please educate me.  For whatever reason, it seems this particular rifle must be the most popular .22, ever made.

Defintely the Ruger 10-22. Marlin 60s are also popular but not as conducive for pimping out. The 60s are a more conservative design.

What made my 10-22 accurate was the new trigger. The factory trigger was a real Piece of Crap. The trigger on mine now is a beautiful 2.5 pounds that breaks like glass.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,754 Senior Member
    Never made sense to me to add a $1000 worth of parts to gain 1/2" in accuracy, when any one of my OLD Marlins or Mossberg's already shoot great without any pimping!
    Diver43 said:
    You can change barrel and furniture, but you can even get a 80% 10/22 receiver
    Brownells sells a 100% 10/22 receiver.
    edited May 18 #14
    Big Al1 said:
    Never made sense to me to add a $1000 worth of parts to gain 1/2" in accuracy, when any one of my OLD Marlins or Mossberg's already shoot great without any pimping!
    For many, it's about weight, trigger and size.  Competition drives aftermarket parts and the 10/22 is the most popular rifle in rimfire action shooting.  Hence lots of parts to make it lighter and faster.  Same with the MK series pistols.  Notice the lack of aftermarket parts for Ruger centerfire pistols.  They have never gained popularity in the competition world plus ruger has never been a big sponsor in centerfire.  But they were in rimfire.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,066 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:

This!  My 37 year-old Marlin 60 does everything I need it to do in its bone stock configuration.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,241 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:

It's the way some folks think, and it's Ok.  You can go out and drop over $1,000 on an Anschutz..... OOOOOOOOOR you can go buy a $250 10/22 and the go on a search for the right barrel.... then a few months later decide to upgrade the trigger...  then a few months later decide you need a better stock... etc. and ultimately have it 100% exactly the way you want it.  I have a 77/22 with a Shillen or Lilja barrel (I forget which) that I'll never get my money out of, but it makes me smile whenever I touch it off.

I tend to do that with Remington 700.  I always buy the basic SPS or ADLs and then upgrade stock and trigger as the mood strikes me.  My daughter's first rifle started as a Stainless SPS and I added a Bell and Carlson Medalist sporter stock (she picked color and pattern) and did a trigger job on it myself (probably the best one I've ever done) and added top of the line scope mounts and Leupold VX3 glass.  By the time I was done I had over $1,200 in that SPS but damn it was sweet and an EASY .5 MOA shooter that was exactly the way we wanted for her.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”