Home Main Category General Firearms

Pay attention, or do dumb

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 7,288 Senior Member
I have been dry firing a lot in my hallway range and have only gotten to step outside due to work and weather. Well my Christmas present came in end of last month and I have been itching to get it out and see if I have my stuff together. Got done with house stuff on Sun afternoon and it wasnt raining yet. Sunny and a little gusty.

Cart conversion.
Well I had everything I needed in just about the right places so that worked well. I need a tray.
So I fired 10 for effect at 200. Felt good except for one high that I thought might be an 8. Got to the target and my high one was a 9, however I had 1 9, just cutting black at 3 oclock, 3 8's  and a 7 just to the right of that. Scored an 88. The whole group was right but not bad for me group wise around 10 inches discounting the high one. I was looking at it and thinking if I had about 2 MOA left on that it would pull everything into the black at least.

I got to my rifle, looked, and I had four (4) 1/2 MOA clicks on to the right.... Last years 600 yard 20th shot windage.....

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,192 Senior Member
    Those that have & those that will.

I wish I could say I've never done that. 
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,875 Senior Member
    oopsies
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,071 Senior Member
    yip, we know better but lessons to be learnt , return to Zero, return to Zero...
    At least it didn't cost you
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,288 Senior Member
    Shot yesterday without 2MOA right on the rifle. Everything was 9 or better except 1 that I tossed into a 7.
    My dry firing has helped, but I still commit to a shot that is wandering sometimes. My inner DI yelled at me as soon as I broke it. It is truly amazing ho much my scores go up when I break shots in the center of the target instead of the tan.
    Even with the 7 it was a 91 so not awesome, but not a 85-87 which is where I was stuck last year. The low 9's are me, I am thinking a click right. First match is going to be Sat. 80 round CMP cup course (like 80 round NRA) 20 standing slow fire (20 shots in 20 min) with 2 sghters @200, 20 sitting rapid 2 sighters @200, 20 prone [email protected] 2 sighters (rapids are shot starting in position, 2 relays of 10 shots in 60 seconds each with a reload) and 20 slow prone @600.

I have cleaned in both rapids and as long as I shoot to ability, I do well. I need more points standing and a couple at more at 600 would be nice

200yard standing

You mentioned being stuck in the mud 80s last year, and cleaned some targets when in the zone.

After making an error, you recovered to put up a score in the 90s.Sent

Sounds to me you on track for improvement.

Sat I shot a 800 agg, Not bad.

I shot a EIC today, good at 200 and 300,,,,,,,, 600???
    A good standing for me, cleaned sitting, good 300 prone, good first string then I had a wind gust added to an error for a 6, Right after that I came apart and cross fired for a zero.
    If I had shot the 600 I had shot on Sat, I would have gotten a leg.
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,747 Senior Member
    If you like funny stories about not keeping track of settings, here's one of mine.

In 2017, I went to Ottawa for the F-Class World's.  I had put together a team over the prior 4 years and I was the wind coach.  The distances we shot at were 700 and 800 meters in the morning, a long break for lunch and then 900 meters in the afternoon.  A Palma-style competition. 

At home I shoot 600 and 1000 yard competition.  As it works out, my come-ups from 600 yards to 1000 yards are right at 20MOA, two turns on the elevation dial.

Before Ottawa, I did some quick JBM figuring to see that the come-ups would be from 700M to 800M and then 900M.  I also needed to figure out the offset from 1000Y at sea level in 90F, to 900M at Ottawa elevation in 75F.   There was little difference between 1000Y in Texas and 900M in Ottawa, the DA cancelled out the slight difference in distance.

The come-ups from 700M to 900M worked out to be 10MOA, one rev on the elevation dial.  4.3 to 800M and 5.7 to 900M.  I was in Ottawa for over two weeks, shooting in the Canadian Nationals, then coaching a team for that event. One day of break and some practice leading up to the Worlds, then 3 days of individuals, one day rest and 2 days of World's Team matches.  Each and every day, we shot 700, 800, and 900.  So at the end of the day, I would wind back one full rev from the day's final setting to be ready in the morning.

During the team matches, I carried my rifle with me in case one of our team member's rifle would break down.  Remember, this occurs once every 4 years and this was the last time in North America for a few cycles (12 years min.)  So we were loaded for bear and had spares everything.  I made sure my scope was set to 700M the days of team matches, even if we never used the rifle.

When it was all done, I drove back home and then put the rifle and ammo away for a while.  I needed a break.

Fast forward a few months and I show up at a local 1000 yard match.  The settings looked right and when it was my turn to shoot, bang.  The target stayed up.  Bang again.  Target remained stubbornly up.  Then I thought I must have left the 600yard setting from the last time I shot here, and took two revs off.  Bang.  The target kept ignoring me.  Took another shot and then I was mystified.  Someone got behind me with a scope and watched my trace.  It was way short.  I put back the 2 revs and the spotter reported that I was now way high.  I took off a one rev and hit the black on the target.  I think a 9 or better.

How the hell was I off by one revolution?  I could not remember.  And then it hit me; I had left the rifle at 700M after Ottawa, one revolution down.  I never took it out of the case after the end of individuals.

Old age.
    Being a rank amateur at the competitive rifle endeavors, it always gives me hope when the real trigger pullers admit errors. 

In the last 3 years I've seen shooters with skills, that at this point I can only aspire to,
    turn the sights the wrong direction,
    Cross fire (shoot at the target on either side of theirs),
    and other miss-ques

I do not revel in their mistake, what it does make me realize is, maybe I'm not the knucklehead that I feel like.     
    re: your scores
    I see expert and master scores on those scorecards.

I'd be dern pleased with those. 
  • tinytank1tinytank1 Posts: 10 New Member
    Practicing dry firing and still not very good at 😅 I seem to stay at the amateur level. Fingers crossed I'll get better at it! 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,664 Senior Member
    Never Give Up
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,747 Senior Member
    41magnut said:
    Being a rank amateur at the competitive rifle endeavors, it always gives me hope when the real trigger pullers admit errors. 

In the last 3 years I've seen shooters with skills, that at this point I can only aspire to,
    and other miss-ques

I do not revel in their mistake, what it does make me realize is, maybe I'm not the knucklehead that I feel like.     
    Yeah, crossfires.  There are two types of competitors; those who have crossfired and those who will crossfire.

The ones that are difficult to trace are those who shoot at target 15 and hit target 5 for example.  That's hard to catch sometimes.  The shooter on 5 is pissed that the target goes down and the shooters beside him have not crossed as their targets are going up and down.  The shooter on 15 is mystified as he's sure how his load, come-ups and aim yet the target is not registering anything and the targets on either side of his are going up and down wit their shooters.

As an MD, I have learned to look at where the barrel is pointing standing behind the shooter.  In these situations, I use a special stick to hit the shooter and get his attention.

41magnut said:

and other miss-ques

+1 I have seen guys on the Marine Corps team leave their 600 yard zero on from the day before, AMU twist the knob with the wind and also shooting prone next to me when I make a call and shoot a 7 left go "****" in my head, I hear him shoot and they run a 7 left and hear **** out loud.. Yeah, it makes you feel normal when the guys that do it for a living do dumb or something happens.
    Diver43 said:
    Never Give Up

I tend to follow that advice. I put dope on, shoot, it is wide. I'm not a quitter so I dont move those turrets and shoot again with the same dope.
    edited May 20 #16
    tinytank1 said:
    Practicing dry firing and still not very good at 😅 I seem to stay at the amateur level. Fingers crossed I'll get better at it! 

I'm real good at it. I dry fire cleans all the time :smiley:

BTW, welcome aboard.
    41magnut said:
    re: your scores
    I see expert and master scores on those scorecards.

I'd be dern pleased with those. 

Thanks. Saturdays 800 ag ave should be in the Master class 95.8, Sun.... that cross fire killed my avg for the EIC.. 93.2

That made me look at my classification. I fired exactly the same score on my last EIC in 2019. Kind of makes me feel better. I had to crossfire to drop to the same score I had last year.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,425 Senior Member
    I have done that before, but the time in between was shorter.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    edited May 20 #19
    I have done that before, but the time in between was shorter.

No matches this year until last weekend. It was the Wuhan Rifle Club match Image may contain indoor
    National matches are closed, NRA and CMP. The range I shoot and others are having some replacement matches during the same time frame. Some ranges are not even open yet. Firing isnt a problem, close quarters in the pits is.

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,425 Senior Member
    Love the poster
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    One of the shooters had stickers made up with the proceeds going to the junior team.