Home Main Category General Firearms

870 barrel rust

2Aman2Aman MemberPosts: 332 Member
Did a repair job on a customers boat and he was short on cash $200 so took this beater 870 to make up the difference. When I got home noticed some rust in the barrel that goes down about 2” on one side. Rest of the bore is smooth/shiny. I ran a bore snake through a few times but didn't do alot. Any suggestions? 

Replies

• 2Aman2Aman Member Posts: 332 Member
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,434 Senior Member
    Clean it first as you normally would, then get back to us, should clean up fine, I would not worry about the bore from the looks of that picture.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Thanks. Gonna give it a good cleaning when I get off work. I have never let mine get that bad. 
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,322 Senior Member
    Take an old 12 ga copper brush And wrap it with a thin layer or copper scrub pad or 000 steel wool.  Squirt it with CLP or any other oil and have at it.  I doubt there is any permanent damage
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,087 Senior Member
    Wrap a few strands of Frontier bore cleaner around a mop and run up and down the bore a few times. It'll clean the rust/plastic out easier than anything I've ever used.

http://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 423 Member
    I'd fire a few rounds through it and clean afterwards it will probably self clean
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    I agree with above, especially Gun Nut. Then go shoot hell out of it. Run a couple boxes of shells through it, then repeat the cleaning with the steel wool of brass pad. From your pic it looks like surface rust. Just needs rubbing off and well lubed. Shooting should get what your cleaning doesn't.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    gunner81 said:
    I'd fire a few rounds through it and clean afterwards it will probably self clean

agree, wish I'd read your comment before I commented.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    wddodge said:
    Wrap a few strands of Frontier bore cleaner around a mop and run up and down the bore a few times. It'll clean the rust/plastic out easier than anything I've ever used.

http://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

Denny

Sounds like a good plan too.  I should have read your comment also. Too lazy to read them all and then I give a redundant comment, LOL! But I think shooting will finish what the cleaning doesn't.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,232 Senior Member
    Thank you guys, some good ideas. Always learn some new tricks on this board. Will get it cleaned up and go shoot a few boxes through it this weekend. 👍  
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    edited May 20 #13
    Id use a heavy bore brush and WD40. Ned told me about it to get plastic fouling out. Works great. Its fish oil. Won't hurt the metal. Plus everyone has some in the garage or shed.
    Yep, have some in the truck and at the shop. 
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,639 Senior Member
    I'd clean it before I shot it. If you must use a COPPER scrub pad, make sure you read the label.  The ones I see are stainless steel copper plated. Price of copper being what it is, hell, pennies are no longer made of copper.  

I've removed interior barrel rust with steel wool and Kroil. If you could put a rod in a drill, you're good.

As for scrub pats, my LGS uses the stainless ones on the outside of guns and oil to remove rust and it does a great job if you don't overdo it.  Maybe inside too, I don't know.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    I agree with Gene, I would not fire it before cleaning.  Rust is still steel and if any of it gets dislodged during firing it will score the barrel.  When you use a scrubber/oil the particles that are dislodged float off with the oil into the recesses or the copper or steel wool material as opposed to scraping the barrel lodged in a plastic wad.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Thank you. I will do a thorough cleaning/oiling and after will fire a few shells through it. I appreciate all the suggestions, thats what brought me here almost 10 years ago. Solid info👍
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,232 Senior Member
    It's a freaking shotgun, y'all are way overthinking this...

edited May 20 #19
    Over thinking???

You're talking to people that can't wait for the next complete autopsy of a hog killed live so we can measure the size of the hole, the time from impact to expirartion, what organs were damaged and how much.........

People that argue about the best way to drive a nail through an ice cube.

People that dissect the weather forecast to prove the intentional misinformation.

Debate the finer points of magazine articles written in gest.

We don't over think.
    We're thorough......:-) 
    edited May 20 #20
    JKP said:
    It's a freaking shotgun, y'all are way overthinking this...

How is purposely cleaning rust out of a quality shotgun bore overthinking this?  It's a Remington 870, not some no-name POS.  2 minutes of care can prevent further damage to the bore so why not?

Actually if it was mine after cleaning out the bore of the evident rust I would take a long wooden dowel and saw he first 1-2" in half, insert strips of progressively finer sand paper, chuck it on a drill and run them up and down the bore until I got a mirror finish back.  Cheap, easy, it works and it would take less than an hour of my time to get back to a brand new bore.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,681 Senior Member
    You already have good advice.
    For the future I will add:  A few years ago I inherited some very old guns that had been stuck in a cupboard for many years.  For cleaning up Jaywapti told me about scrub buds.  Cleaned up old rust but did not remove blowing
    Much like the 000 steel wool but no tiny pieces of steel break off
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Id use a heavy bore brush and WD40. Ned told me about it to get plastic fouling out. Works great. Its fish oil. Won't hurt the metal. Plus everyone has some in the garage or shed.

snake284 said:

Yes and the same thing works on exterior rust. Just spray it with WD 40 or some other good penetrating or lub spray and use 0000 steel wool and lightly take off the rust.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,160 Senior Member
    Bore brush wrapped in bronze wool, a whole lotta Break Free, and the rod chucked up in a drill.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,639 Senior Member
    snake284 said:

I like WD 40 for some uses, but it gums up.  And it ain't fish oil!  :)  Old internet fake news.  It's a petroleum product.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    You're right Gene.
    https://www.wd40.com/myths-legends-fun-facts/
    Hey, who doesn't like a good fish story.....

At least there's nothing to gum up in a shot gun barrel.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,642 Senior Member
    You're right Gene.
    https://www.wd40.com/myths-legends-fun-facts/
    Hey, who doesn't like a good fish story.....

At least there's nothing to gum up in a shot gun barrel.
    That's right as long as the barrel is removed and cleaned again with proper solvent.
    I say this because I did not years ago.

I have used WD-40 and a brass brush to remove leading and plastic smears from early plastic wads. Works fast.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia