Home Main Category General Firearms

JunkCollector won... Wondersight, neat upgrade to a 1917 or other fixed sight S&Ws

GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,287 Senior Member
So JunkCollector won (damn Jedi mind tricks) and I ordered a Wondersight for the 8" barreled .45 Colt converted 1917.  I am impressed with this little gadget.  With no modifications to the gun, it gives you windage and elevation adjustments which this gun needs since at 25 yards it's about 1 foot low and left.

The mounting screw which is also the elevation adjustment tension screw goes into the upper screw hole of the side plate on a 4 or a 5 screw S&W.  It comes with mounting plates for both N and K frames (vintage Victory and M&P .38s).  If the gun does not have one of screws it is easy work to drill and tap for a screw in that position and it will not impede normal operation on a more modern gun.

It literally took 3 minutes to install.  the unit is sturdy and secure with positive windage clicks and a solid elevation setup.  I like it!  Hope I can get out tomorrow to try it out.

Before

After

Voila!!!  Vintage target gun!

They have been around since the early 50s and they are currently manufactured unchanged from the original.

Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    NICE!!  The thing I love about all this - I've been a gun pro one way or another for 28 years now and am still seeing "new" old stuff I never heard of.

Kinda similar in concept to some of the Parker Hale and other sights that were manufactured to "targetize" Martini-Henry's, SMLE's, etc...
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 522 Senior Member
    edited May 22 #3
    a simple thank you will suffice.
    an 8" gun with a target front sight calls.... nay screams... for the target rear sight.
    BTW bet you just increased the value of said gun.
    It "is" old school cool now.

now I await the range repot...…..science.

better will you shoot now
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    Now that is COOL!! I want one where'd you get it!!??
    Reminds me of the Lyman 21 sight I put on my 1895 Winny!
    See the source image

• bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 1,915 Senior Member
    Nice! Looks like it gives a little bit longer sight radius as well.
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Looks like you could keep a note card with recorded settings for different loads and ranges.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,287 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    See the source image

You'r one of the bad influences that has me on this old gun kick...

I got mine on eBay but this is where I originally found it after Junk Collector started digging me...

http://www.hollowpointmold.com/wondersight/

This is the eBay listing. $49, shipped.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-Revolver-Sight-Original-Wondersight-for-S-W/133050797587?hash=item1efa720e13:g:JEkAAOxyOa9R0keo

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Bigslug said:
    NICE!!  The thing I love about all this - I've been a gun pro one way or another for 28 years now and am still seeing "new" old stuff I never heard of.

Kinda similar in concept to some of the Parker Hale and other sights that were manufactured to "targetize" Martini-Henry's, SMLE's, etc...
    Exactly!!!  Thanks, this should be fun to play with...

bhl2506 said:
    Nice! Looks like it gives a little bit longer sight radius as well.
    it does but above all it's a much cleaner sight picture AND adjustable!

a simple thank you will suffice.
    an 8" gun with a target front sight calls.... nay screams... for the target rear sight.
    BTW bet you just increased the value of said gun.
    It "is" old school cool now.

now I await the range repot...…..science.

better will you shoot now
    Thank you... :grumblegrumblegrumble:

Tomorrow hopefully if the weather holds.

Looks like you could keep a note card with recorded settings for different loads and ranges.
    Yep you could.  I have to dig up some of my old .45 Colt recipes from my reloading days after I play with this.

edited May 23 #12
    Notice the amount of holster wear and unevenness of the finish when I got her... 

I polished up a few of the offending scars, then I fired up my butane torch and heated her up and applied Oxpho as Teach instructed me a few years back.

And here she is all ready for adventure...

The unevenness on the color on the barrel is really light reflections.  It's a beautiful nice deep blue now.  She doesn't look "new", but she also doesn't look like she was rode hard and put away wet either.

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Big Al1 said:
    See the source image

Between me and the junk man, you didn't have a chance!!  B)
    Big Al1 said:
    GunNut said:
    Big Al1 said:
    See the source image

Between me and the junk man, you didn't have a chance!!  B)
    Yep, I’m screwed!!! 🤣🤣🤣

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,123 Senior Member
    Man.  That is neat.  I wish I knew about that years ago.  I would've probably kept my S&W M-22 Thunder Ranch if I had that.  It threw consistently low/right at 7 yards just enough to annoy me into parting with it.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun said:
    Man.  That is neat.  I wish I knew about that years ago.  I would've probably kept my S&W M-22 Thunder Ranch if I had that.  It threw consistently low/right at 7 yards just enough to annoy me into parting with it.
    I’ve been around old guns forever and I’d never heard of one til JunkCollector brought it up!  Yep would have been just the ticket for that 22!