Home Main Category General Firearms

My own .220 Swift!

13»

Replies

• gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 422 Member
    Zee said:
    gunner81 said:
    GunNut said:
    I still chuckle every time I see a post of a new gun from you.  I remember some old member named Black Powder Snipper or something like that (the name never made any sense to me) telling me he had all the guns he'd ever need...  :trollface:
    I will never say that I've been collecting - shooting for 4-5 years I only have 53 rifles and twice as many pistols and I will never say that I have enough but I did tell my son yesterday after buying a new biggest tool box I could find that I might just have too many tools but I will deny that I ever said it

I just never count how many I have. Then, I can never have to many. Because if I don’t know.........what’s one more?

I will remember that reasoning it sounds like a plan where I bought my 220's scope sent me an ad they have a Mauser M18 in 243 for under 500.00 and its calling my name.  Anything on the newer Mausers  I'm thinking they almost have to be a good gun
  • gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 422 Member
    Zee said:
    gunner81 said:
    GunNut said:
    I still chuckle every time I see a post of a new gun from you.  I remember some old member named Black Powder Snipper or something like that (the name never made any sense to me) telling me he had all the guns he'd ever need...  :trollface:
    I will never say that I've been collecting - shooting for 4-5 years I only have 53 rifles and twice as many pistols and I will never say that I have enough but I did tell my son yesterday after buying a new biggest tool box I could find that I might just have too many tools but I will deny that I ever said it

I just never count how many I have. Then, I can never have to many. Because if I don’t know.........what’s one more?

I will remember that reasoning it sounds like a plan where I bought my 220's scope sent me an ad they have a Mauser M18 in 243 for under 500.00 and its calling my name.  Anything on the newer Mausers  I'm thinking they almost have to be a good gun
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    edited May 21 #64
    I'm telling you, if myou want to shoot deer with a durable bullet try the Speer 70 grain. It's a semi Spitzer but with the Swift it won't slow it down much out to 300 or so. They stabilize in my 14 twist .22-250. In the Swift they'll be golden. They will penetrate like a .308. My nephew shot a doe in the chest at 100 yards facing him and the bullet damn near came out the butt.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,517 Senior Member
    I just tried the 55gr Speer Gold Dot last weekend and got pretty good results on paper. 

Between that and the 55gr SGK, I have some accurate enough rounds I need to test on soft tissue now.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 418 Member
    It'll never stop astounding me just how fast those little zingers are. Always wanted one but can't justify it to just punch paper.
    Confirmed the 55gr Speer Gold Dot load. So, I’ll make 50 to use for hunting deer/pigs. 

This has been a fun project. Having to work within the constricting parameters of a slow twist rifle. But, I was still able to come up with 3 good loads that should work from small to medium game. 
    55gr Midway Dogtown Bullets
    55gr Sierra GameKings
    55gr Speer Gold Dot
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,426 Senior Member
    I get that its only 55gr, but that is one fast moving bullet.
    Yeah, it’s moving. Which makes me wonder how the bullets will do. 

Only one way to find out. 😎