Home Main Category General Firearms

Winchester 1300 Stainless

2Aman2Aman MemberPosts: 332 Member
Have the opportunity to pick up a near mint Winchester 1300 Stainless 12 gauge for $300. The stainless doesn't appeal to me aesthetically but would be great for long boat trips where I live in a saltwater environment. Any pros/cons on the 1300s? I am more of an 870 guy. Thanks. 

Replies

• 2Aman2Aman Member Posts: 332 Member
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,778 Senior Member
    I have a blued 1300 Defender. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    It seems like a fairly robust design. The stainless looks like a Cartel special 😄 but should help in a marine environment.  From what I have read they are fairly reliable. 
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,565 Senior Member
    One of the fastest pump shotguns out there.  Often maligned by folks that don’t understand it, I had one for a while and loved it, you can dump the mag in a BIG hurry if needed.  Sold it to a buddy that desperately wanted a good HD gun, shouldn’t have.  It was a good close range brush gun.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Thats great info to know, I am happy to be getting it. 👍
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Oooooo! That shines!
    Did you get the rust of the 870???
    Waiting on the 000 steel wool to come from Amazon. But, a good bore mop and some Hoppes 9, along with a good scrubbing with a brush helped alot. Still needs a little more work. 
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    If you're frequenting salt water that shiny Winchester will rust too if its neglected for too long. Ive never actually seen the ocean. But a former member here that was a gunsmith posted a thread about cleaning some rusty Marine Magnums that were used at sea in an atmosphere of neglect.
    Your 100 % correct. Its hell on my tools. Have to keep a light coat of oil on them almost daily. Its brutal. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,797 Senior Member
    2Aman said:
    Your 100 % correct. Its hell on my tools. Have to keep a light coat of oil on them almost daily. Its brutal. 
    As much as it has been raining I am surprised your not underwater.
    Gulf on one side Atlantic on the other you need to keep up on maintenence
    That is a handy shotgun
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Thanks, this rain has been horrible. Just stopped an hour ago. The dog wont go outside to do her business when its raining so its made for an eventful week to say the least 😄
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    I have a blued 1300 Defender as well; completely reliable.  Enjoy.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    Thats great, sounds like I am picking up a nice shotgun. That bright finish is growing on me. 
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,919 Senior Member
    For $300 I'd be all over it.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,864 Senior Member
    I have a model 1300 deluxe 20 ga that is a very nice shooting gun. Swings pretty naturally. Really need to shoot it more.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,206 Senior Member
    Not my favorite, though honestly I fall into GunNut's category of it being my least familiar. But in fact it is pretty hard to screw up a pump gun, and cheap targets of opportunity are not to be walked away from.  If you need to get deep into it (and if you're playing with salt water, you will) just exercise a little caution with the ejector leaf spring on the left wall of your receiver - it's kind of fiddly and held on with a teeeeeeeensy little screw.  They ARE fast.

Nice that the 1300 is actually stainless, as opposed to nickle plate.

The 870's staked-in shell latches and ejector I would NOT want on a boat, as there's almost no truly cleaning under them.  It's a matter of flush thoroughly, oil thoroughly, and hope for the best while you lay awake nights never really KNOWING what's underneath.  The cheesy bead-blast-&-blue finish on an Express will rust if you cast even a foul glance at it.  Pretty much got to be a nickle Marine model, or a well-oiled Parkerized Police Magnum.

The Mossberg is by far the easiest to render down to get into all the nooks and crannies.  The 590 is a slightly better bet than the 500 as the only major difference between the two is the 590's open-end magazine that allows stripping out the guts and cleaning the tube (you can in fact turn one into the other with the right parts).  You need to heat LocTite and unscrew the tube on the 500 to get inside those.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Thanks guys, all the info is much appreciated. As always, this board is a wealth of knowledge.