Home Main Category Hunting

My boy shot his first pig last night!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 24,508 Senior Member
He has been with me several times, but actually using the toys involved with hunting at night takes a little practice and skill. So, he watched and learned these past few years. 
Yesterday morning (Easter), I mentioned that we could go pig hunting that evening if he wanted to shoot his first pig. Well, come 9:00 last night I was tired and getting ready for bed as I had to get up at 5 in the morning. 
The boy says, “I thought we were going pig hunting?”
Oh yeah. 😒. Well I couldn’t back out on my word. So, I grabbed our gear and headed out. 
First place was a dry well. No pigs. Second place was looking like the same and I thought I could still get to bed at a reasonable time. Then, the last part of the field..........pig!  Well.......game on now. 
We get out of the truck and set up on the high fence gate (high fence around pasture is an attempt to keep pigs and deer off of crops. Doesn’t work. 
I place the barrel of the 16” .308 Winchester through the gap in the gate and light the pig up with an IR laser. But, the boy can’t see the pig because the wheat is too tall. So, I hurry back over to my truck and get an empty molasses bucket (for cattle) I use as a gut bucket. Carry it back to the gate and place the bipod of the rifle on the upside down bucket to gain altitude. Tell the boy to place his left knee on the ground in a sitting position and raise his right knee to provide rear support for the rifles butt stock. He does and I light the pig up again with the laser. But, it’s too bright and my boy tells me to turn it off so he can see the silhouette of the pig better. 
I tell him it’s quartering away to the left and shoot when ready. 
The gun sounds and I see the back end of the pig drop. He squeals and falls over. One shot drop on his first pig at approximately 150-175 yards in the dark!!!  From an improvised seated position. I was a proud father. The boy had done well. 

We load him on the cart and pull him across the field to the truck. Load him cart and all and take him to the ranch to quarter. 

The bullet entered the back of the ribs. Passed through the diaphragm, bisected the lungs, and exited the off side shoulder. Well done on an angle he’d never taken before!
By the time we got him cleaned, on ice, back home, and in bed, it was 0100 in the morning. And I had to get up at 0500. Oh well it was worth it for his first pig. 

Proud father I am. 
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,086 Senior Member
    Great job!Both of you!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,879 Senior Member
    Time spent together in the night. A good thing for a boy to learn about.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,955 Senior Member
    edited April 2020 #4
    You can sleep when you're dead. Congrats to the boy and the proud papa! Y'all didn't catch that facial skin condition from the pig, didya? ;)
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,861 Senior Member
    Great porker.  With Smithfield shutting down because of the a lot of employees testing positive for the virus, pork supply is probably going to feel the shortage in the supermarket.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,927 Senior Member
    Hard to say no when they are ready to go, good job putting your boots back on.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    Great porker.  With Smithfield shutting down because of the a lot of employees testing positive for the virus, pork supply is probably going to feel the shortage in the supermarket.
    I was just thinking last night I might need to start hog hunting because of that....
    Wonder if I can go cow hunting too?  :D
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,139 Senior Member
    Great job all around.  Congrats to your Boy
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    Excellent work, father and son!  Congratulations.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,508 Senior Member
    Thanks guys. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,385 Senior Member
    NICE!  REAL NICE!

Just trying to assemble the puzzle pieces as they have appeared here, for the ongoing corruption of the youth of America . . .  ;)

He's making unsupported hits from a skateboard, and he doesn't suck at clays. . .  Might be time to get him busting jugs at distance standing up with a lighter gun and low/mid-power optic?  Maybe even clays with a .22 if you can set up a safe background? I'm thinking you have the makings of a snap-shooting monster on your hands.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,310 Senior Member
    That's awesome and great of you to make sure you kept your promise!  Rare these days when most parents put their need ahead of the kids.  He'll never forget this!  Great shot!!!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,250 Senior Member
    WTG! Both of you.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    Wonderful memories.  Great job "Dad"

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,391 Senior Member
    Great job!!
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    This kid is getting a helluva lot of seasoning.  Right on!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Amazing work, Dad!  I live vicariously through you two and I am happy!!!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Doves_IndefinitelyDoves_Indefinitely Posts: 126 Member
    edited May 2020 #19
    Zee said:
    He has been with me several times, but actually using the toys involved with hunting at night takes a little practice and skill. So, he watched and learned these past few years. 
    Yesterday morning (Easter), I mentioned that we could go pig hunting that evening if he wanted to shoot his first pig. Well, come 9:00 last night I was tired and getting ready for bed as I had to get up at 5 in the morning. 
    The boy says, “I thought we were going pig hunting?”
    Oh yeah. 😒. Well I couldn’t back out on my word. So, I grabbed our gear and headed out. 
    First place was a dry well. No pigs. Second place was looking like the same and I thought I could still get to bed at a reasonable time. Then, the last part of the field..........pig!  Well.......game on now. 
    We get out of the truck and set up on the high fence gate (high fence around pasture is an attempt to keep pigs and deer off of crops. Doesn’t work. 
    I place the barrel of the 16” .308 Winchester through the gap in the gate and light the pig up with an IR laser. But, the boy can’t see the pig because the wheat is too tall. So, I hurry back over to my truck and get an empty molasses bucket (for cattle) I use as a gut bucket. Carry it back to the gate and place the bipod of the rifle on the upside down bucket to gain altitude. Tell the boy to place his left knee on the ground in a sitting position and raise his right knee to provide rear support for the rifles butt stock. He does and I light the pig up again with the laser. But, it’s too bright and my boy tells me to turn it off so he can see the silhouette of the pig better. 
    I tell him it’s quartering away to the left and shoot when ready. 
    The gun sounds and I see the back end of the pig drop. He squeals and falls over. One shot drop on his first pig at approximately 150-175 yards in the dark!!!  From an improvised seated position. I was a proud father. The boy had done well. 

We load him on the cart and pull him across the field to the truck. Load him cart and all and take him to the ranch to quarter. 

The bullet entered the back of the ribs. Passed through the diaphragm, bisected the lungs, and exited the off side shoulder. Well done on an angle he’d never taken before!
    By the time we got him cleaned, on ice, back home, and in bed, it was 0100 in the morning. And I had to get up at 0500. Oh well it was worth it for his first pig. 

Proud father I am. 
    Zee, I think the faces are photo-shopped out in the pictures for web security reasons and that's prudent and understandable. Perhaps that's a smart idea. If you share your un-face-censored photos with people you know and trust personally in a private setting, that's great. If I were to show my own real face on the Web, it might scare a lot of folks. I don't claim to be the handsomest of men myself.  :D
  • Doves_IndefinitelyDoves_Indefinitely Posts: 126 Member
    edited May 2020 #20
    Six-Gun said:
    This kid is getting a helluva lot of seasoning.  Right on!
    The "kid"? "Seasoning"? Is the young goat spiced with garlic or black pepper for the Weber?  :#

Anyway, swell pig by the young boy! Congrats!  B)