Home Main Category General Firearms

Well crap! I think I found my Sharps Rifle.

2»

Replies

• FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,739 Senior Member
    Zee, can you say....CHARGE!
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Nice looking rifle!

The original black powder rifles were usually modified by gun smiths of that time for buffalo hunters. The mod was an improvement to the extractor.

40 and 44 caliber were prefered from what Ive read.
    Here's every cartridge that Sharps chambered their rifles for from .40-70 to .50-90 (apart from custom chamberings). Some are paper patched.....

Great, but can you label them? I got no clue which is which. Did they make a 50-110? That cartridge has definitely gotten my attention.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Thanks for posting this Zee. Threads like this is what this place needs more of.

Oh, BTW, what will we call you? Zee Quigley?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,071 Senior Member
    How about QuigZee?  :D
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,160 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    I don’t see casting in my future. Not that impressed with the terminal results to start making Bullets that don’t do what I want. 
    But, that being said, I see this gun with 300 grain Hornady Hollow Points at speed that I already use, or 405 grain WFN-GC and Trail Boss for fun. 
    The .45 WFN is typically defined by a .34" meplat, and they are without question the single most destructive thing I've hammered a milk jug with.  Above 1600 fps launch speed (considerably faster than you'll go in a Sharps most likely), the result at 100 yards is NOT what you're used to.  It's like actual explosives are being used - you don't clean up shredded milk jugs; you clean up shreds OF milk jugs.

The trade off is that they don't tend to fly really well beyond a couple hundred yards, so an LFN profile with a meplat of .32" or smaller is a better all-rounder.

Given your preference for dynamic results on impact, the Sharps may not be your platform as it was geared for the low speed black powder approach.  They operated at magnum handgun velocities, got their long range out of bullet mass, and did their killing with sectional density and penetration - the typically buffalo took about three shots.

The Winchester/Browning 1885 is so called because 1885 was the year Winchester marketed it after buying the rights from the Browning brothers, but the Brownings had been making it a few years prior to that.  There's some argument as to whether or not any of those early Ogden rifles were around to participate in the very tail end of the great herd extermination.  Because of that, it's harder to call them "buffalo rifles", but they still have "the look", can be set up with all the same tang sights and set triggers, and are much stronger and better suited to things you might be inclined to do with smokeless powder.

If you just want a shortish-range falling block single shot without any historical overtones, there are Ruger #3 carbines out there to be had in .45-70 for generally under a grand.  More and sexier versions in the No.1's but spendier.  No problem at all loading those toasty.

You can pretty much forget about your modern notions of point-blank hunting trajectory past about 150 yards, as these big .45's are truly rainbow warriors.  Even with a modern action pushing those 405 grains near 2,000 fps, you have to regard them as either a brush gun or an artillery piece.  That said, I can certainly envision you getting your giggle on by lobbing subsonic 500+ grain Postell or NASA bullets to a mile or more.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,811 Senior Member
    I think I need a internet interlock breathalyzer device... To reduce the chance of an alcohol induced slip into Zee’s enabling.. 🤓

A Sharps of some sort has been on my grail gun list for a long time... that’s a nice looking one, comes with the tang sights and is sub $1500.... 😬
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,426 Senior Member
    If you decide to dip into the powder coated cast lead options, I have had good results on paper with the MBC 405gr #1 Buffalo.  I have only used them in my .458x1.8 so far and mostly at about 1050 FPS using a full charge of Trail Boss.  I plan on playing with some other powders and that bullet in the future.  I also picked up some of the 300gr #2 Buffalo to try.  I am sure I can get the 405 into the 1500 FPS range and the 300 into the 1700 FPS range without too much issue, but I could be wrong.  I am still learning about shooting cast lead and what I can and cant get away with.

576gr ACME bullet at 1125 FPS has some thump to the shoulder in my rifle and does alright on paper, but I keep ending up with lead rings in my chamber with that bullet and powder combination.

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,437 Senior Member

The bullet on the left is a 405 grain 
    bullet designed for a levergun. The bullet on the right is a 500 grain bullet designed for the Sharps rifle. I can tell you from experience that 500 grainer will turn a muscrat inside out when you hit one when it’s in the water. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    This is the most devastating bullet Ive ever killed with.

After seeing what a heavy slow lead slug like that did to nine elk and one deer. I wouldn't hesitate to use either one of Elk Creeks bullets on anything on this continent.

That last elk was poor shot placement. I actually saw her run fall and die well I reloaded. I had never seen that with an elk before.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,425 Senior Member
    I will enjoy reading about this rifles range reports and hunting reports.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,426 Senior Member
    576gr ACME

.458x1.8 on the left with the 576 for comparison. 

.458 wm
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,025 Senior Member
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,588 Senior Member
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,025 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    I've been running them in my Henry Lever for a bit.  Very accurate
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,588 Senior Member
    Hate you. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,128 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Nice rifle! In my Pedersoli Sharps, I have found it digests pretty much everything I've fed it well, from 405 grain smokeless (Varget) loads to 535 grain Postell black powder (2F) loads...
    I've learned that the shotgun style buttplate is way preferable to the classic crescent style....
    I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how far out that thing will shoot...
    You'll have some fun with that thing.
    This part is crucial, and I couldn't agree more, ESPECIALLY if hot, smokeless loads are on the menu.  That crescent buttplate will suck in a hurry if you misplace it in the heat of the moment and pickle one off. 

I have never owned a Pedersoli, but hear nothing but glowing reviews from friends who do.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,767 Senior Member
    Pickle one off!! I like it!!

I went to a BP shoot in Wisconsin, and the majority of rifles were the Pedersoli in .45-70, with a few 1885 replicas and original trap doors thrown in. They were hitting steel at yards. Impressive!!
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,321 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Hate you. 
    Yep, me too...
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,767 Senior Member