Home Main Category General Firearms

Nagant revolver

bellcatbellcat Senior MemberPosts: 1,812 Senior Member
So my BIL purchased this Russian Nagant from a coworker. He brought it over on Memorial Day weekend for his first firing. How unique! The ammo is 7.62x 33r and came in a sardine tin. The bullet is enclosed in the brass. It shoots fairly well with little recoil. The biggest drawback is the process of emptying it! You have to pull rod back, rotate, and push each spent cartridge one by one. Several times it took a fair ‘rap’ to knock brass out. We figured a lot of Russians may have died during this process. He left it with me for some more field trials.

"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,789 Senior Member
    Not to mention a trigger pull that rivals any Taurus revolver!! Ballistics similar to the .32 S&W. Can also chamber and fire .32S&W long and .32 H&R mag. Cases can be formed from .32-20. Ugly as sin, but in a Danny Trejo sort of way!! B)
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,487 Senior Member
    They are really cool and I can’t believe I’ve never owned one...
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,757 Senior Member
    Neat revolver, never had the pleasure of holding one
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,789 Senior Member
    Forgot to mention the unique design of the cylinder. It moves forward to form a seal with the barrel to prevent gas leakage when fired. Ammo is in stock at Aim Surplus.
    https://aimsurplus.com/prvi-partizan-ppu-7-62-nagant-98grn-fpj-50rd-box/

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    With that holster and ammo it's very cool indeed. That's hands on history right there.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,851 Senior Member
    Nice, always wanted one of those back when you could get them for 89.00 but never made it happen.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,664 Senior Member
    edited May 29 #8
    Saw a video, never held one, though.  I, too, thought about buying one, but didn't.  Heard they had a 20# DA trigger pull and you could get a commie Mak for the same price. Much better handgun.  I had an I-frame S&W in .32, sweet nickel gun. Never saw a Nagant revolver in VN, nor a Makarov.  They were still in active service at the time in ComBloc.  I had a Tokarov but it got stolen from me.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,191 Senior Member
    The gas-sealing cylinder and its accompanying ammo is a fascinating way to do business, however, I do find it funny that the ultimate solution to the problem of cylinder gap gas loss was:
    1. Build stronger guns
    2. Use more gunpowder
    3. Make more gas. 

I figure a good trigger on a light-loaded .32 I'd consider defending myself with, because there'd at least be some accuracy under stress.  Given the HORRID trigger of those things, I envision a lot of tiny hits badly placed.  I think that may have something to do with the fact that every one of those old Nagant revolvers I remember seeing has been in EXCELLENT condition - nobody even WANTED to try wearing one out.  Given the length, an empty 91/30 with the bayonet attached probably had more effective range.  :D
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,659 Senior Member
    I'm glad I was able to shoot one-----a lot of gun it was!
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia