Home Main Category Clubhouse

This guy just became a folk hero

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
https://www.nossmedia.com/post/man-on-omaha-scanner-facebook-page-claims-to-be-killer-in-north-omaha-homicide?fbclid=IwAR0w4eqlbnUH3uH-j9K8HdminMS9UV8rZ5I68ZcpXASaMKW_9vReLVMJ45M

James Fairbanks carried out he vigilante killing of a registered sex offender who had been watching kids while feigning to be washing his car just recently.  The sex offender had a long list of kids he molested, and also apparently had a playground setup in his back yard with *no fence* around it.  Very likely a bait site.

Fairbanks reported himself in an effort to highlight flaws in the judicial system that allow these creeps to continue doing what they do.

Thoughts?  
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    Pedophiles don't stop being pedophiles...they don't get "rehabilitated"...they don't get "better"...kinda narrows down the options about what to do with them...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    The condoning of murder is a slippery slope. There's good reason why juries number 12 and not one.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    edited May 2020 #4
    The condoning of murder is a slippery slope. There's good reason why juries number 12 and not one.
    That’s a valid point, but this guy was convicted by a jury of 12 multiple times for the same offense.  

I’ll have to dig up the quote from his own daughter on this incident, but it was to the effect of “His murder is horrible, but many future children will be spared”. She also called for the killer to get probation for the offense.  Pretty telling.
    Here's her quote:

It may be a good and just outcome. Condoning it individually or as a group has vast and complexed ramifications. 

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    And sometimes common sense should prevail.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,032 Senior Member
    Its because of people like him (Condoluci) why I could never be a LEO

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    Agree. Or Judicial system certainly isn't perfect but it is a far better system than the mob mentality.
    Social media lends an air of personal anonymity that's had a strange effect on mob mentality. IMO its something to be wary of.
    edited May 2020 #11
    The closest case I can come up with to this that had serious headlines is Gary Plauche.  He killed the man who molested his son on live TV as the molester was coming through an airport, and did so right in front of that cops, many if whom knew the shooter.  The video is out there for the morbidly curious.

After pleading down to a manslaughter charge in return for a no-contest plea, the judge handed  Plauche no jail time due to a suspended, 7-year sentence.  He also got 5 years probation and 300 hours of community service.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Plauche
    Six-Gun said:
    Here's her quote:

An adjudicated pardon or plea bargain could very well be an agreeable outcome.

I see it as a something completely different than a ciber cheering group.
    I think that's how this one will land, but doubt he dodges jail time since this wasn't a case of a believed family member in a rage.  
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,957 Senior Member
    I dont think he is a folk hero. If the ped had actually had a kid over, heck yes. But to assume that you will do something, even if you are predisposed to it, just doesnt pass the smell test. Where does that stop? Shoot a trespasser on sight because at one time he stole something or because he pee'd in the woods you can drop him as a rapist because he aired out his junk? Ban combat infantrymen from jobs because they have fired at people? The dems are already trying to ban vets from getting firearms if anyone mentions they may have PTSD.
    I dont know, but this guy isnt a hero.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    edited May 2020 #15
    I'm not saying it should be legal.  I'm saying that he's being heavily celebrated in our community over the fact he killed a guy who only got 2 years total in prison time for convicted felonies and countless other accusers whose cases never saw a court.  The outpouring of support is pretty heavily in his favor for the justice that the public feels was never given versus the justice of what he might have maybe done. I wouldn't be shocked to see extremely minimal jail time.
  • RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 329 Member
    I wouldn't doubt that the daughters response might be tied to her father molesting her as a child?? 
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    It is impossible to write perfect law because humans are very creative at coming up with exceptions that truly justify breaking them, at least in our mind or the minds of the populace.  And this is good!

That's why our Forefather's made it so you would ultimately be judge by a jury of your PEERS, not an "establishment" judge or a government attorney/prosecutor.  He will get his day in court and his "peers" will decide what needs to happen.  If he has a semi-competent lawyer on his side he'll probably get away with a very light sentence.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,957 Senior Member
    Pre meditated murder is still pre meditated murder even if you dont like the vic or he is a scumbag.

There is no heat of the moment or crime of passion here. The shooter isnt a pedo victim of his, a parent of a pedo victim, or a family member who thinks he should be dead. Last I checked, killing someone who isnt engaged in a harmful activity because you dont like the sentence isnt a defense.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Oh, he'll get convicted.  I just think it will be a far lighter sentence that you would see under typical circumstances.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
    Oh, he'll get convicted.  I just think it will be a far lighter sentence that you would see under typical circumstances.
    Yep and I agree with Varmintist!  He’s guilty as hell, but unless he gets a punitive judge looking to make an example of him the Jury (and the AG if he wants to be re-elected) will go light on him.
    Quite a few folks are suggesting that the whole saga would make for a textbook Netflix documentary.  It wouldn't shock me if that happens.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 2,036 Senior Member
    “I have never personally wanted to kill someone, but I’ve read several obituaries with great delight.”
    W Churchill
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain