Home Main Category Hunting

What animals do you intend to hunt in the upcoming hunting seasons?

Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior MemberPosts: 7,425 Senior Member
I just applied for buck and doe antelope, and mule deer (buck) recently.  I will pick a general elk permit in the future.  I also plan to hunt blacktail deer with a friend, if the circumstances allow.  Hopefully, after the first of the year, I can make a trip to Texas and hunt with some friends as well.
What hunting plans do you guys have in mind?
Weapons you intend to use?
Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,188 Senior Member
    Mule deer in a new area.  Both the long .30-06 700 and the short .308 Ruger Scout will go, but it's yet to be determined which will be the primary.

Dove may or may not happen.  There's enthusiasm for shooting them, but not really eating them.  It's usually hot as a furnace around here during the opener.  My primary hunting buddy (Pop) has hand issues that impose limitations for running a pump action, but the only shotguns in either of our collections compatible with California's non-lead shot requirements are pumps.  The classics are NOT getting steel and bismuth is expensive.  SOOOOOOOOOO. . .fates conspiring against it.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,482 Senior Member
    Will get out for deer and hog for the first time in a few years.  Can’t wait!!!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,071 Senior Member
    Whitetail deer.  Feral Pigs.

Makers Mark.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,701 Senior Member
    Whitetail
    Pigs
    Axis
    Dove
    Ground Squirrel
    Rats
    Mice
    Tarantulas 
    Scorpions
    Aardvark
    Wombat
    Hedgehog
    Etc. 

But mostly deer and pigs. 😁

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,425 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    Mule deer in a new area.  Both the long .30-06 700 and the short .308 Ruger Scout will go, but it's yet to be determined which will be the primary.

Dove may or may not happen.  There's enthusiasm for shooting them, but not really eating them.  It's usually hot as a furnace around here during the opener.  My primary hunting buddy (Pop) has hand issues that impose limitations for running a pump action, but the only shotguns in either of our collections compatible with California's non-lead shot requirements are pumps.  The classics are NOT getting steel and bismuth is expensive.  SOOOOOOOOOO. . .fates conspiring against it.

I have never enjoyed the taste of dove myself. 
    What state for mule deer?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    GunNut said:

Good!
    Whitetail?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Zee said:
    Whitetail
    Pigs
    Axis
    Dove
    Ground Squirrel
    Rats
    Mice
    Tarantulas 
    Scorpions
    Aardvark
    Wombat
    Hedgehog
    Etc. 

The last three made me laugh.

Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,811 Senior Member
    I wish I knew.  If I'm lucky, dove, quall and whitetail deer.  There's about 12,000 acres of public land nearby, but some is restricted to archery only, and the remaining is restricted to either archery or shotguns with slugs (or bird shot for dove and quail).  My suspicion, though, is that there will be more hunters than game.  I'm not interested in hunting land like that.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    GunNut said:

Good!
    Whitetail?
    Yep!  Eastern variety.  Maybe I can convince Junk Collector to try for Bear again.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Whitetail deer.  Feral Pigs.

Makers Mark.

Weapons you will use?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,967 Senior Member
    Whitetail deer, hogs, coyotes and corn thievin' raccoons
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,967 Senior Member
    What weapons depend on how long BATF takes, and if I'm hunting alone, or with the wife.
    Alone, could be 300BO AR, or one of my 2 Grendels.
    With the wife, 223 AR, OR if I ever get it back, my Ruger 77R that's being transformed into a 77R-INT in 7x57
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet said:
    What weapons depend on how long BATF takes, and if I'm hunting alone, or with the wife.
    Alone, could be 300BO AR, or one of my 2 Grendels.
    With the wife, 223 AR, OR if I ever get it back, my Ruger 77R that's being transformed into a 77R-INT in 7x57

It is nice to see a diversity of weapons
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,857 Senior Member
    It's gotten so hard and unpredictale to hunt in this state (Colorado) that I don't even bother applying anymore. Elk and deer are so weather/elevation dependent combined with the "Luck of the draw" that it's mostly a waste of vacation time. 1 week long seasons to a specific area only compound the difficulty.

Antelope (my favorite thing to hunt) numbers are way down, and pdogs have been scarce since the plague wiped most of them out 10 years ago.

For all of you guys dreaming of a Colorado hunt.....truth is, it's pretty much sucky.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    That is sad
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,811 Senior Member
    It's gotten so hard and unpredictale to hunt in this state (Colorado) that I don't even bother applying anymore. Elk and deer are so weather/elevation dependent combined with the "Luck of the draw" that it's mostly a waste of vacation time. 1 week long seasons to a specific area only compound the difficulty.

Antelope (my favorite thing to hunt) numbers are way down, and pdogs have been scarce since the plague wiped most of them out 10 years ago.

For all of you guys dreaming of a Colorado hunt.....truth is, it's pretty much sucky.

Mike
    MIke,

something just occurred to me regarding the paucity of antelope where we used to hunt.  If you recall, which I'm sure you do, we saw goats the last time you and I hunted together, but they were always way off and running like crazy, and we really couldn't see a reason for that.  Maybe my memory is faulty, but I don't recall seeing any more hunters than usual that day.

What I also recall are those two big coyotes.  They did not seem the least bit disturbed by us, even though we were within easy shooting distance.  They just stopped and looked at us as if we were part of the landscape.

When you took Luis out there, it was pretty much the same, and he did kill a coyote.

See where I'm going with this?  I have to wonder if the coyote population had grown to the point they were doing some serious damage to the goat population.  It might be worthwhile to check with the folks you know out there to see if they are noticing this, or even talking to someone in fish and game.

Heck, maybe the decimation of the prairie dog population is a factor.  If it is a predator/prey thing, it's just a matter of time until the predators run out of prey, and the pendulum will swing the other way.

Just a thought.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    You might be right.
    N454casull
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,473 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    GunNut said:

Good!
    Whitetail?
    Yep!  Eastern variety.  Maybe I can convince Junk Collector to try for Bear again.
    Did he get one? Did I miss that?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Bigslug said:

CA.  Should know in a couple days if we get drawn for the Mojave.  Backup is old reliable Sbdo mountains.
    WWJMBD?

Zee said:
    Whitetail
    Pigs
    Axis
    Dove
    Ground Squirrel
    Rats
    Mice
    Tarantulas 
    Scorpions
    Aardvark
    Wombat
    Hedgehog
    Etc. 

Search "Bedeviled Rabbit" for the complete dietary list of the Tasmanian Devil. :D
    WWJMBD?

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,701 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:

You’ve likely not had them cooked correctly. 😳
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    Bigslug said:

You’ve likely not had them cooked correctly. 😳
    I will not disagree with that statement.
    The only time I enjoyed dove, was when it was shredded like pulled pork, with lots of barbecue sauce.  Other times, it always reminded me of liver...I hate liver.  I have tried it all kinds of ways without success.

Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    edited May 31 #24
    2 dove breasts spooned around a jalapeno and wrapped in bacon on the grill . When the bacon gets crunchy, you're good to go.

When I was a really young kid, my Dad once made dove-breasts and dumplings instead of chicken and dumplings. (I'm from the South....dumplings are flat, not round doughy gooey balls of flour mud like they make in the Yankee states. My wife's from Iowa and we have differing opinions on what constitutes a proper dumpling. I won't eat hers and she won't eat mine. Therefore....we don't have dumplings at my house). That was pretty darned good as I recall.

Mike
    N454casull
    OTOH, personal taste is...well....personal. My wife is Jewish and thinks matzo balls boiled in chicken broth is a delicacy. Personally, I'd rather be tied down and force-fed a horse turd.

Mike
    N454casull
    FWIW: I would rather eat liver than poop....
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    FWIW: I would rather eat liver than poop....
    Me too.....but have you ever tried matzo balls boiled in chicken broth? If not, don't.

It might be a texture thing. I've not quit gagging long enough to figure it out. 

Kinda reminds me of eating paste in kindergarten, except with lumps and slimey liquid.

Mike
    N454casull
    CHIRO1989 said:
    GunNut said:
    GunNut said:

Good!
    Whitetail?
    Did he get one? Did I miss that?
    He’s gotten a few!

I LOVE good matzo ball soup!!!  My wife make a great one!  I’ve never had dove but I’ve eaten a ton of pigeon in the UK.  Assuming taste is the same.

Dove/pigeon...same/same.

Matzo ball soup? I'll eat the cat first.

Mike
    N454casull
    Dove/pigeon...same/same.

Matzo ball soup? I'll eat the cat first.

Mike
    Cat is pretty tasty 😁