Home Main Category General Firearms

.22LR Ammo

pjames777pjames777 Senior MemberPosts: 1,317 Senior Member
So, new Green Mountain SS barrel on my old 10/22 and I'm wondering is there meaningful difference in .22LR ammo?  Suggestions welcome.  Did their recommended "barrel break-in" today.   

Thanks,
Patrick

Replies

• ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,357 Senior Member
    edited May 27 #2
    yes there is.

Im not familiar with GM barrels.  You can also try contacting GM and see what they say.

but if you want to go through the work.  Get a box of each on whatever you can get your hands on and test each box/brand/lot.

you may want to keep in mind that guns can be finicky.  Even guns made side-by-side can be different.  it doesnt make alot of sense, but its true, even now adays.  

If you decide to readup on 22s and read enough, you will find that out.

There was an article years ago with 3? different rifles.  They ran various target AND bulk ammo through them.  what surprised me was that 1 rifle had a liking to Stingers.  IME, stingers are usually fast, but not so accurate out of ANY gun.  but on that test, 1 liked them. Again, the more you read, the more informed you are.

years ago, i was doing some testing on my 22 BA rifles.  I had some target and bulk and i was testing them at 50 yards with scope and bench just to see what each rifle liked or not and how the groups varied.  I never completed it, but i could definitely see what ammo/rifle combo worked and what didnt.

fwiw,

here are a couple targets i had photographed.  They maybe fuzzy due to resizing....  but you can look/examine and determine for yourself if there is any "meaningful" difference.   Note that there is probably 1 target that is more like a shot pattern.  that was probably the 1 i used for sighting in and adjusting the scope.  I didnt have enough scopes for all of my rifles, so i swapped.

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,425 Senior Member
    Federal Gold Medal Match has done real good in several barrels.
    Each barrel has it's own preferences
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,770 Senior Member
    100% agree. 

I have a 10/22T that's a tack driver, but only with the right ammo. Best was Eley Tenex, but at $12 for a box of 50 in the '90's,they got ruled out pretty quick. Next was Federal Ultra Gold Medal Match, UMB-1. Really accurate, but terminal effect on squirrels was dismal. 7 shots, 7 squirrels hit the ground, and 7 squirrels ran off. CCI MiniMaf HP's weren't as accurate, but aceptably so, and a squirrel stayed planted after handling one.

I'm not kdding when I say I spent more in the search for the right ammo for this rig than I paid for the rifle, and a $400 22LR was mighty pricey over 20 years ago. Toughest rig I've ever tried to find a load for. I think this may be common for 22LR.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,350 Senior Member
    Avoid Remington.  Crappy reliability and dirty.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,664 Senior Member
    My 10/22 shot best with mini mags before the barrel change. I am hoping the GM likes it also as I have a bunch of it on hand.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,809 Senior Member
    I’ve got a good bit of data on 22 ammo on my computer at work. I kinda geeked out once and chronographed a lot of ammo out of 4 or 5 different barrel lengths, and put the info into an excel spreadsheet with avg velocity and standard deviations for each one. And shot some groups and steel out to 300 yards with my Encore pistol. If I can dig that info up tomorrow, I’ll post it. Even if it means nothing. I worked for that info, I’m gonna use it.. 🤓 Federal GM, CCI mini mags and standard velocity ranked up there pretty good...
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    My favorite is the kind that's there when I try to purchase it. The kind that's out of stock won't cycle my guns or perferate my targets.....
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,286 Senior Member
    I’ve had GREAT luck with Norma Match .22 on most of my guns.  When I catch it on sale I clear out the shelf.  As always there are exceptions.  I have a few guns that deliver ultra tight groups with cheap Remington Thunderbolts.  With .22s there are some generalities but many surprises and exceptions.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

I'm not able to find my info at the moment.  But here's a thread from a couple of years ago when we discussed it and it has some good info from others here as well.  I don't think my current data is all that different from what is posted here...

https://forums.gunsandammo.com/discussion/comment/756939#Comment_756939
    edited May 28 #11
    Here's a few pics I was able to find on my phone.  How it translates to you and you're gun, who knows.  But maybe a start.. Excuse the messy targets.  I was testing multiple different rounds and types of ammo and using the same targets multiple times.

• AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,647 Senior Member
    100% agree. 

I have a 10/22T that's a tack driver, but only with the right ammo. Best was Eley Tenex, but at $12 for a box of 50 in the '90's,they got ruled out pretty quick. Next was Federal Ultra Gold Medal Match, UMB-1. Really accurate, but terminal effect on squirrels was dismal. 7 shots, 7 squirrels hit the ground, and 7 squirrels ran off. CCI MiniMaf HP's weren't as accurate, but aceptably so, and a squirrel stayed planted after handling one.

I'm not kdding when I say I spent more in the search for the right ammo for this rig than I paid for the rifle, and a $400 22LR was mighty pricey over 20 years ago. Toughest rig I've ever tried to find a load for. I think this may be common for 22LR.

Mike
    If the Federal Ultra Gold Medal Match is the best accuracy performer but has rather inadequate terminal effect for hunting maybe you can "tailor" them with a gimmick called "Paco tool". It's some kind of die available online that you can regulate to make hollow points of assorted kinds out of the plain RN rounds without loosing material or severely altering the bullet shape. According to the reviews I've read in rimfirecentral.com users are quite satisfied with the hunting performance they reach with them once the tool is properly set to modify the bullets, and with no accuracy loss whatsoever. 

Might be worth to try it:

http://pacotools.com/tool_discriptions
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,317 Senior Member
    Antonio said:
    100% agree. 

Mike
    If the Federal Ultra Gold Medal Match is the best accuracy performer but has rather inadequate terminal effect for hunting maybe you can "tailor" them with a gimmick called "Paco tool". It's some kind of die available online that you can regulate to make hollow points of assorted kinds out of the plain RN rounds without loosing material or severely altering the bullet shape. According to the reviews I've read in rimfirecentral.com users are quite satisfied with the hunting performance they reach with them once the tool is properly set to modify the bullets, and with no accuracy loss whatsoever. 

Might be worth to try it:

http://pacotools.com/tool_discriptions
    Wow, who knew .22LR was so precise.  
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    There will be some comparison work on your part.

Thing is, the really highly regarded match ammo is usually running at slightly subsonic speeds - about 200fps slower than bulk pack "fun" ammo - and is assembled with the notion that it's probably going to be run in some high-end, heavy-barreled bolt action precision rig, and it sacrifices flat trajectory for great stability over a known match distance.  Will that stuff even cycle in your autoloader?  Only way to find out is to try a few different velocity ratings to get a feel for what your rifle needs.

These discussions usually devolve into brands and sorting methods to achieve silk purse match results out of sow's ear bulk ammo.  It comes down to what you want to achieve.  Mostly, my .22 work these days is about having fun and cheaply honing my ability to acquire, point and shoot, so I really don't give a rip (within reason) what it does off a bench.  If it can hit an empty 12 gauge shell to 25 yards or a soda can to 100, and the gun runs, I'm happy for semi-auto purposes.

Unless you're deliberately playing for group size, start cheap with small quantities.  When you arrive at something that meets your expectations, stop and buy a lot of it.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,629 Senior Member
    If you're trying for small groups off the bench, go for match .22 ammo, by all means.  It's subsonic because as Chuck Yeager found out, the sound barrier causes instability so subsonic .22 avoids the wiggle.  But .22 rifles can be choosy so if that's the goal try as many as you can afford.  One of my .22s shot Wolf Match pretty well; not competitive well, but it was cheaper than Ely.

There's a lot more to .22 accuracy than just ammo, though.  I gave up on shooting tiny groups because I don't have a rifle for it, or the glass for it, or the dozens of other things one needs for it.

Even with HV ammo, your rifle will determine what to buy in quantity. Remington shoots fine in my rifles.  I could experiment and probably do better, but for my needs, it's good enough.

I wouldn't begin developing a round preference on a new/clean barrel.  I believe the round preferences of the rifle will change.  I'd fire 500 rounds of anything and let the barrel settle in.  I'm a proponent of not cleaning a barrel of a .22 until accuracy starts to decline, if it does.  Overcleaning a .22 invites trouble.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Out to 100 yards, it only matters what the gun and shooter can do, IMO. I got .09 at 50 yards out of my pistol and just over an inch with the same ammo and gun at 100. And just over 1/2” with other supersonic ammo at 100. That ammo was going subsonic just before the target. After that, it probably starts to make more of a difference. Shoot, find ammo that works in the gun at the range desired, shoot some more. 
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,629 Senior Member
    When all this current crap settles down, there's an informal match in my area, 50 to 200 yards.  I don't know what they use for ammo but I'll find out and may participate and get humbled.  Wind Drift and sight tables would be important, I'd think.  

HV ammo is affected by the sound barrier twice; once when it leaves the muzzle, and again when it goes sub ~ 100 yards.  With .22  ammo almost  but not quite reaching supersonic, no barrier to worry about.  Side drift would be more, but not that much more. Only talking about 150 fps difference.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.