Home Main Category General Firearms

Shooting .19 Caliber Wildcat

tfotfo Posts: 6 New Member
I'm interested in having a Calhoun build a CZ 527 in the 0.19 - 223 wildcat that he designed.  Any one out there have experience with this wildcat.  Should be a great varmint gun and I'm thinking fun to shoot at the range.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,894 Senior Member
    I deal with some "off the wall" wildcats, however they all use standard diameter bullets.

Not sure how I feel about being locked into odd sized/limited availability bullet
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Welcome to the forum
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,767 Senior Member
    Went to the website! Looks interesting! One stop shopping, he supplies everything, and bullets are available. Neat little rifle!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,642 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 528 Senior Member
    Welcome
    No experience with it but have two 204 rugers so they are pretty close to it.
    What other rifles do you shoot ?
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 441 Member
    I noticed his website doesn't mention the .204 Ruger Imagine that.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,053 Senior Member
    Interesting rifle/caliber.......I am a fan of small cal rifles. Own a 22-250, 222, and 2 x 204 Rugers. Have taken many critturs/varmints with them and enjoy using small cal rifles for hunting well above their 'weight' class.
    Personally, I dont see myself getting one though. $1500usd for a bare rifle plus the cost of a scope and ammo would buy me at least 2 rifles and have enough left over for glass and ammo.

The deal breaker for me is the lack of a soft point in the 40-50gr range which would be handy for the odd deer that crosses my path as well as a useful projectile for culling goats.
    Have used my 204 with the 45gr Sp to shoot goats as well as Fallow deer and Red deer and all have dropped on the spot. ( Correct shot placement is essential)

I look forward to seeing your rig when you get it and reading your range report.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    It does seem expensive to not equal what a 204 will do to me.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,300 Senior Member
    I shoot/reload for a .17 K-Hornet. If you get that .19 cal. rifle I highly suggest you get some plastic tweezers for holding the bullet when starting seating. Anything below .224 bullet diameter is a pain to hold when starting the seating, and a few times pinching the thumb or index finger between case neck and die WILL NOT improve your vocabulary. :D
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • tfotfo Posts: 6 New Member

My goal with the .19-223 is to have a flat shooting, low recoil rifle, that is a tack driver.  For fun and hunting (no animal will walk away from a headshot---right!).  Turn-key custom rifle for $1600+/- doesn't seem so bad. Calhoon sells a hunting load for about $1/rd.  You can't get 30-06 ammo for that.  The one major thing you guys brought up is being locked in to an unusual caliber with only a single source of ammo.  The beauty of the .19-223 is if ammo becomes unavailable it would be easy to ream bore to 223 or install a replacement barrel.  Besides, no one in my shooting club will have one!!  For me the 204 Ruger has more recoil than I want.    

I have built several sporters based on Springfields and Mausers.  I made a 'scout rifle' out of a Rem. Model Seven in 7mm-08 for hogs--shortened the barrel to 18", re-bedded stock with Acur-Glass, trued the action, replaced bolt handle with one from Brownell's--quick to the shoulder for running hogs and easy to use in a deerstand. Replaced the trigger with a Pro-Trigger from Remington.  It's a 1-1.25 MOA shooter.   The Mauser is in 6.5-06 and very accurate. It has accounted for a lot of whitetail and one caribou.   Taken moose and mule deer with the Springfield.

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    Do you just like wildcat cartridges?  Seems to me that everything you specified above can be handled by a .204 Ruger.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,426 Senior Member
    Wasnt one of the intentions of the .204 to produce a lower recoil cartridge that was still flat shooting?  I just dont see the point of being locked into a boutique cartridge/caliber when there are available commercial options that work just as well.  Wildcats are fine and all, but even what im dealing with for myself is using convention sized bullets and the cases are made from commercially available cases that only require being cut down to the desired length.  To each their own I guess.  Personally I dont even see the appeal of going smaller than .223 diameter, but thats me.
    Do you just like wildcat cartridges?  Seems to me that everything you specified above can be handled by a .204 Ruger.

With the added bonus of being able to punch well above its weight using the 45gr sp.
    Ballistically the 204 using the above projectile is slightly better than the 222 Rem using a a 50/55gr sp in my experience.
    To tell the truth I have never shot a 204 Ruger perhaps I should.  Aren't there only a couple of sources of factory loaded ammo?
    tfo said:
    To tell the truth I have never shot a 204 Ruger perhaps I should.  Aren't there only a couple of sources of factory loaded ammo?
    Hornady, Winchester, Remington, Selier & Belliot, Sierra, Federal, HSM, Norma
    and Nosler all produce factory ammunition for the 204.....off the top of my head..
    orchidman said:
    tfo said:
    Hornady, Winchester, Remington, Selier & Belliot, Sierra, Federal, HSM, Norma
    and Nosler all produce factory ammunition for the 204.....off the top of my head..
    As well as plenty of reloading data and bullets available.  You can probably get a load book for it, too.

I shot the best 3 shot group of my life with mine.  .080 inches center to center.  But, it has a 28 inch heavy barrel and a Leupold VXII 6-18x scope with target turrets.  And, I took special care to weigh each individual case to get a lot weighing about the same.  It's relegated to shooting prairie dogs, which I no longer do for lack of proper prairie dog pastures where I now live.  It's simply way too heavy for a walking around rifle.

I get about 3800 fps mv with 39 grain bullets.

Alec, I'm surprised you're only getting slightly better MV with 45 grain bullets than with a .222 shooting 50-55 grain bullets.
    Jerry

Alec, I'm surprised you're only getting slightly better MV with 45 grain bullets than with a .222 shooting 50-55 grain bullets.
    In the 222, I am getting just under 3100fps with the 50gr Sierra SP at the muzzle.
    The 204 gives me 3625fps with the 45gr Sp.

FPE for the above 222  is as follows....Muzzle= 1094, 100yds =752, 200yds=500 and 300yds is 321fpe....
      "      "    "        "     204  is   Muzzle=1313, 100yds=1015, 200yds= 779and 300yds is 590fpe

The speed difference at 300yds is just over 700fps in favour of the 204....(1700 in the 222 V .2400+ in the 204)

You can see from the above that the 204 outperforms the 222 in energy by a reasonable margin........which is why I decided to get one ( actually have 2  x 204's )
    Ok, Ok, you 204 loonies.  You talked me into it.  Just ordered a CZ 527 in .204 Ruger!  Got to thinking about what you all mentioned re: disadvantages of a unique caliber (.19-223 Calhoon wildcat), buying ammo, etc.  I don't intend to re-load, so ammo via mail would really be a hassle.  Also, just joined a shooting club which has several competitive shoots using 50 rds/course of fire each event so... I plan to burn through ammo!   Now my question is which bullet weight would you use for target competition such as NRA High Power, Silhouette, etc., and which for hunting....head shots deer/hog.  I've got some Fed. V-shok 40 gr. Nosler BT ...designed for varmints like coyotes should work similarly on skulls of  small doe, I'm thinking. Hogs may be more problematic.   I've used Nosler BT 100 grainers in 6.5-06 (.257 inch bullets = 6.5 mm) on large deer and caribou--worked fine.  Whata' y'all think?
    All I've ever used mine for is prairie dogs, where shot distance ranges from 50 yards to about as far as I can see.  I've only used the 39 grain Sierra Blitz Kings, but like them.  I doubt you will want to use a varmint bullet for paper punching, but I think that 39 grain bullets of whatever flavor you like would be a good place to start.
    Jerry

Sounds good

tfo said:
    Ok, Ok, you 204 loonies.  You talked me into it.  Just ordered a CZ 527 in .204 Ruger!  Got to thinking about what you all mentioned re: disadvantages of a unique caliber (.19-223 Calhoon wildcat), buying ammo, etc.  I don't intend to re-load, so ammo via mail would really be a hassle.  Also, just joined a shooting club which has several competitive shoots using 50 rds/course of fire each event so... I plan to burn through ammo!   Now my question is which bullet weight would you use for target competition such as NRA High Power, Silhouette, etc., and which for hunting....head shots deer/hog.  I've got some Fed. V-shok 40 gr. Nosler BT ...designed for varmints like coyotes should work similarly on skulls of  small doe, I'm thinking. Hogs may be more problematic.   I've used Nosler BT 100 grainers in 6.5-06 (.257 inch bullets = 6.5 mm) on large deer and caribou--worked fine.  Whata' y'all think?
    I think you wont regret your choice. Great quality rifle in a great cal. My choice of scope would be a Leupold 6-18 x 40. It is a bit of a handicap for close in shots on dusk but comes into its own for longer distances.
    All Hornady factory ammo seems to work well in my 204.  I use their 32 and 40gr V-max for varmints and paper. However my hunting buddy has tried the V-Max on feral goats with less than stellar results. The projectiles blew up on the skin and resulted in flesh wounds that didnt put the animals down.......

However, the Hornady 45gr SP is devastating on hogs goats and deer in my experience.
    I have used it to take deer sized animals from Fallow deer up to big Red deer and numerous goats. Shot placement is critical but with the accuracy of the 204, it will do its part if you do yours. Most have been neck and head shots.out to 200m.
    Here are a couple of links to hunts I have had with the Howa 204 and the resulting postmortems.

and postmortem

And here is a hunt report using the 40gr V-Max......

Hope this helps.....

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,425 Senior Member
    What is the twist rate of your 204 you have coming in?
    Distances you will be shooting at your range?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    edited May 20 #25
    Neck down a .30-06 case to 19 and then you have a true 06. As in ".19-06 !, LOL!

Seriously, I think you'll be much happier with the .204. Lots of ammo and a more stable bullet, or rather a more proven bullet.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    tfo.....I think you made a great choice.
    Both .....yes two ... are  absolute tackdrivers.

• tinytanktinytank Posts: 8 New Member
    I feel like it is a tad bit expensive but seems worth it not gonna lie! I'm considering getting one for myself even  :D
    Took delivery of my CZ527 Monday in 204 Ruger from Sportsman's Warehouse.  Got it in less than 2 weeks!!  First time I grabbed holt I thought "where have you been all my life!!"  God, it feels good.  I love that little Mauser!!  I got the American: 22" barrel, 1:12 twist rate.  I found Fed V-Shok 40 gr. , Nosler BT, so will try first.  I'm going to do a penetration test by shooting into a gal jug of water.  If bullet penetrates jug, should be okay for hunting wouldn't you think?  That is if bullet expands uniformly and exits intact.
    I think you're going to like it.  :)
    Jerry

• bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,793 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain