Home Main Category General Firearms

8mm mauser identification

skinney1970skinney1970 Posts: 4 New Member
Looking for some help with identifying the markings on my mauzer. I bought it the way it is and have only added a sling to it. If my pics arent good enough I can attempt others. Thank you!

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,778 Senior Member
    Welcome...Some of our Mauser guys will be along to help you out...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,652 Senior Member
    Seems to me it's a Type 24 "Chiang Kai Shek" Mauser made in China in the interwars period. 

It was a copy of the short rifle 1898 action "Standard Model" made in Germany. You can find some more data about it here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiang_Kai-shek_rifle

Yours seems to have been modified by changing the original front sight & base for a "sporting" assembly. The original part was silver soldered in place and if you wish to, a decent gunsmith shouldn't have a problem replacing the current one with the proper parts (probably available online in eBay or Numrich gun parts).

These rifles saw extensive, hard use in many armies and conflicts and were usually repaired, refinished and refurbished a few times. If in sound mechanical condition it should be a safe, decent performer.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,767 Senior Member
    Yup! Chinese Mauser. Looks like it may have been slightly sporterized. Top hand guard wood is gone and looks like the barrel may have been shortend and an aftermarket front sight installed.
  • skinney1970skinney1970 Posts: 4 New Member
    Thank you!! I was really thinking it was German, but that's all good. I didn't know it was sporterized. I also thought all the stock was there. I will look into that. I've fired three rounds through it, seemed to do fine. I would like to find a way to add a scope and maybe hunt with it. We shall see!! Thank you for the info! I wonder what year it was made?
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,778 Senior Member
    Somewhere between 1935 and 1949
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,767 Senior Member
    B Square makes a scope mount that replaces the rear sight but requires an EER scope. Otherwise, a gunsmith would have to D&T the receiver for scope bases, alter the bolt handle by forging or welding to clear the scope, and install a safety that will clear the scope.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,652 Senior Member
    Since I'm a surplus guns buff and like "restoration" projects, I'd go the opposite way and return it to its original military configuration. 
    Yes, it will never be an original collectible rifle anymore, will probably end up costing more than a good specimen of the same gun and yes, it's a rather common Mauser example with little if any historical connection to the US but as said above, I can't control it!

A gunsmith should be able to properly D&T it for a scope base. 8mm. is a very decent hunting round too, and the action is as overbuild as you can wish to. 
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,639 Senior Member
    You could probably buy a commercial deer rifle for what it would cost  to sporterize that one...bend bolt handle, D&T, pistol grip stock, replace the flag safety.  I also recommend a thorough bore evaluation.  Chinese rifles saw a lot of use and not much maintenance.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • skinney1970skinney1970 Posts: 4 New Member
    Thanks again everyone!! You're information has been very helpful. I know a guy here in town who can get me in touch with a gunsmith. I'd like to keep it as close to original as possible. If I ever acquire a bayonet for it, that front site will need to be changed. I have been looking at Scout rifle scope mounts. Looks quite interesting and fairly easy to install.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,639 Senior Member
    Get the headspace checked, please.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Big Al and Tenn Mike keep me here on this forum now that Teach isn't here. Those three were the Mauser Mechanics. Teach dreams about Mausers. He was my go to guy on them. But these other two guys are pretty sharp on them, They won't steer you wrong.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    edited June 5 #14
    Gene L said:
    You could probably buy a commercial deer rifle for what it would cost  to sporterize that one...bend bolt handle, D&T, pistol grip stock, replace the flag safety.  I also recommend a thorough bore evaluation.  Chinese rifles saw a lot of use and not much maintenance.
    My gun smith, I call him mine because he does all my gun work, Dwight Marshall out of Refugio Texas, would bend the bolt and D&T for mounts all for about $150 (He used to do that for under $100). You're not going to buy a commercial rifle cheaper. You could also put it in a Boyd's Stock and put a Timney trigger on it for another $150-$200. In fact the last one he sporterized for me he charged me $243 (that's not counting the stock). Now that's been a few years back but I'd be willing to bet he'd still do it for under or around $300, $350 at the most. And that's with a new firing pin spring to improve lock time and a Buehler Safety. That's probably a little cheaper than you're going to buy one at Wally World or Academy which after taxes is probably going to cost around $400 out the door. And that won't be a Control Round Feed action and it will have a cheap plastic stock and crappy trigger.

If it's 8x57 that's a fine deer cartridge. I've got one Yugo I had sporterized and left it as an 8x57. It's a hell of a shooter. I used to load it with 150 grain Hornady Interlocks and all the hogs I killed with it were with the Interlocks, but I switched to 170 grain Sierra Prohunters. Never killed a deer with it but I have killed a few hogs. Believe it or not, it's an MOA rifle. But now remember, that's a Yugo 24/47, not a Chinese knock off so I don't know how good yours is.

As Gene says, have that head space checked before you shoot it again. I know you shot it three times but sometimes it takes a while to stretch a case if you reload. And just because it didn't blow a case doesn't mean it won't eventually. Check those fired cases for shiny areas around the case head that would indicate stretching. I'd say you're probably ok but it's better to be safe and checking head space is money well spent and doesn't cost that much to have done.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.