Home Main Category Hunting

If you haven’t seen this turkey documentary, you need to

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 8,152 Senior Member
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvccpd

This is the most one of the most fascinating studies in animal behavior I’ve ever seen.  Worth watching in its entirety.
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,930 Senior Member
    That was pretty cool, oh to talk turkey like Joe ;)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 478 Member
    I thought that was amazing, too. Wondering about that last bird (spoiler alert) that went a bit whacko at the end. What was that all about? 
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,930 Senior Member
    I would guess it was the "rut" and the turkey viewed Joe as another Turkey, testosterone was kicking in.  
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 478 Member
    Ahh....
    For some reason, that thought went right over my head - with him being a youngster. Shows you what I know about turkeys. 

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    edited May 2020 #6
    CHIRO1989 said:
    I would guess it was the "rut" and the turkey viewed Joe as another Turkey, testosterone was kicking in.  
    Yup.  that's exactly what it was.  When the breeding starts, all bets are off.  Those bachelor flocks break up in the Spring for a reason, and brothers become mortal enemies in the blink of an eye.  The narrator was nothing more than a competing male at that point and was greeted accordingly, all prior pleasantries be damned.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,087 Senior Member
    Years ago I had just shot a Jake out of a big flock...far from being spooked, a couple of his buddies ran over and proceeded to kick the crap out of him...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:
    Years ago I had just shot a Jake out of a big flock...far from being spooked, a couple of his buddies ran over and proceeded to kick the crap out of him...
    Oh, yes.  Any compromising position of breeding competition is an excuse to demonstrate dominance.  In an interesting twist to that concept, I've shot a Tom out of a group that had just been beating the crap out of my decoy only to watch his buddies flinch at the shot, then stand around for 10+ minutes waiting around for their dead buddy to collect himself and carry on0.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,977 Senior Member
    Thanks Six, great video, took me 3 nights to watch it.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    jaywapti said:
    Thanks Six, great video, took me 3 nights to watch it.

JAY
    Glad you enjoyed it.  I've watched it at least twice now, and still can't get over what I'm seeing.  I sent it to the guy who guided me for Rio Grande turkeys in Kansas, and he said that he forwarded it on to every guide that he knows and beyond.   
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,452 Senior Member
    Its a good video, and although I love the woods and could disappear for a month pretty comfortably, I think this dude has spent a few to many Friday nights in the woods alone.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Its a good video, and although I love the woods and could disappear for a month pretty comfortably, I think this dude has spent a few to many Friday nights in the woods alone.
    I definitely can't imagine doing a year solo with birds as my only really companions.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,113 Senior Member
    That was absolutely incredible.  Over 30 different vocabulary sounds, it's a wonder we can call them in!  I thought it was cool they were strutting at 10 days old.  I really enjoyed this.

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    That was absolutely incredible.  Over 30 different vocabulary sounds, it's a wonder we can call them in!  I thought it was cool they were strutting at 10 days old.  I really enjoyed this.

The fact that they had different vocalizations just for identifying each species of snake was totally mind-blowing.  I had no clue.