Home Main Category Hunting

I can truly appreciate the value of meat hunting and freezer stocking.

2»

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,452 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
    Zee said:
    I’ve never noticed a taste difference in buck/doe. 

When I grind whitetail (which I do to all but the backstraps), I add 3% beef fat to add a bit of moisture and flavor. I keep my ground rather lean. But, whitetail......having little to no body fat.....needs a little help. 
    Yeah, I tried doing straight-meat grind with venison before.  Didn't work out too hot, neither in flavor nor ability to have a burger patty stay together on the grill worth a lick.

As for health issues related to venison vs. beef, the only one I know of that exists in my sphere is my mother-in-law's medical directive to not eat much, if any, venison.  She has a genetic liver disorder that makes managing iron intake critical to avoiding permanent liver damage.  She actually has to donate blood periodically to lower her overall hemoglobin count.  Venison has nearly 40% more iron than beef, so it's not a good idea for her to eat it more than very occasionally.  
    7% ground beef patties work out well on my George Foreman. Straight venison patties might work on the Foreman too: I'd have to try it. I get by with otherwise flavorless dry meat by using dried onion, garlic salt and black pepper as well as a ton of KC Masterpiece or generic A1 on top. The electric kitchen grill gets sprayed with PAM before heating it up. 
    Ground venison is too fat deficient to cook as a burger patty. The game processor I use adds beef fat to the ground deer meat to add favor and to make it stick together. Without that added fat, cooking it in a pan, grill, or your Foreman grill is going to produce a dry hockey puck that falls apart and is mostly tasteless.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,085 Senior Member
    Most likely the reason you didn't care for the ground bison is that without help, it's as dry as a popcorn fart....Bison is very lean.

We have consumed more bison than the average family and find that mixing it with ground pork or even breakfast sausage makes it much more palatable...fat is where the flavor comes from.

We have even taken to running bison burger (or lean beef) through the grinder with a couple of strips of thick sliced bacon produces a superior burger, meatloaf etc...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,085 Senior Member
    On another subject...Your "college educated man" boast (which it was whether you intended it as such or not)...I daresay you are going to find that a large number of folks here are "college educated"...

Question for you...Have you ever participated in a thread on this forum that you didn't start?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,877 Senior Member
    Wild game is healthier than domestic beef if its prepared right.

Because of my own health issues I told the processor to not add fat to my ground elk when I remembered. Because of memory issues I often forgot. I didn't make patties.

Meat protien can be significantly stretched with additional plant protein with improved nutrition for those in need of it.

The best thing Ive found in attempting changes in diet. Is to cook and prepare the food so you like the taste. If it don't taste good, its kind of pointless.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,145 Senior Member
    I am a meat hunter like Zee.
    Up until about 18yrs ago I used to supplement my venison meat intake by buying the occasional  cut of beef ( normally rump/fillet ) steak. However my diet mainly consisted of fish as I work on a fishing charter boat. Fish provided at least half of my meals over a week. As more and more hunting opportunities arose I stopped buying beef and simply ate what was in my freezer and fresh fish. This included venison, wild pork, wild duck, goose, swan, pheasant, turkey, peacock, goat, rabbit, and other critturs that lived in the wild. My intake of 'processed meat' dropped to almost zero. The only exception was bacon cos bacon I cannot live without. ( ( No man should live without bacon)

20 yrs ago my weight hovered around the 100kg mark (220lb) My weight has now been steady at 83-85kg ( 182-187lb) for the last 14yrs and my BMI has dropped.
    Last week I had a steer home killed for my sisters and I. Most of the meat was given to my sisters and their families. I kept a couple of packets of steak and some mince.
    Cooked a piece of beef Scotch fillet last friday and another one last night. Fridays piece was streaked with fat and while tasty, I didnt really enjoy the flavor as I prefer my meat lean. Last night I cut most of the fat off and it tasted much better.

During our recent level 4 lockdown I just about exhausted my stock of frozen venison and game and had no ill effects from eating a game meat diet.......in actual fact I felt a hell of a lot better. Energy levels felt higher.  I should add that I dont keep regular meal 'hours' but eat when my body tells me I need fuel....bit like my sleep patterns, I only sleep 3-4 hrs a night and might have a 30 minute nap during the day some days.

I will however buy a free range chicken and dry roast it in a slow cooker every couple of weeks for sandwiches etc and will about once a month buy some fried chicken from a local takeaway joint.

Since the level 4 lock down was lifted about 3 weeks ago, my buddy and I have taken 6 deer between us and I have managed to restock my freezer somewhat, along with ducks from our duck season which started 10 days ago.

If you are going to eat venison, there is one golden rule to follow when cooking it. Because it is so lean, it needs to be served rare/medium rare. It should run with red/pink juice when it is placed on  plate, not looking grey in the centre when you slice through the meat.

If it does look grey all the way through, you have just ruined the meat and should take up Tofu as an alternative.........

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    I haven’t bought beef in about 30 years.
     I just picked up103 lbs of pork from my meat processor in town today that was processed from a feral pig I killed. 
    My freezer stays stocked with Dove, quail, duck, whitetail, Axis, Blackbuck, feral pig and other exotics. The only meat I buy is occasional fish and poultry. 

It pays to be a hunter. 
    Hell, I had wildebeest and waterbuck the other day from a friend. 
    If I ever find myself in Texas I'm coming over for dinner! Lol!
  • Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 364 Member
    Zee said:
     I just picked up103 lbs of pork from my meat processor in town today that was processed from a feral pig I killed. 
    My freezer stays stocked with Dove, quail, duck, whitetail, Axis, Blackbuck, feral pig and other exotics. The only meat I buy is occasional fish and poultry. 

It pays to be a hunter. 
    Might want to pass on the roof rabbits though.  Not sure about the Texas versions but around here they taste kind of like what Friskies smells like
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • Doves_IndefinitelyDoves_Indefinitely Posts: 126 Member
    Some_Mook said:
    Zee said:

It pays to be a hunter. 
    Might want to pass on the roof rabbits though.  Not sure about the Texas versions but around here they taste kind of like what Friskies smells like

I had something in a Basque restaurant once they called "rabbit" on the menu. I couldn't tell it apart from chicken. The escargot, snails, in the same restaurant seemed no different from oysters bathed in salty garlic butter. 

The taste of domestic rabbit vs. wild rabbit isn't even close. Domestic rabbit and domestic cat taste similar, though. 
    You could start out small and work your way up, though. Groundhogs and raccoons are right tasty baked or fried, and both tend to have plenty of fat on them. 
    ― Douglas Adams
    edited June 2020 #41
    D-I, you do know what roof rabbit is, right?  If unsure, re-read Zee's post #18 in this thread, paying attention to the second item he lists as having tried.     :o
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee

I had something in a Basque restaurant once they called "rabbit" on the menu. I couldn't tell it apart from chicken. The escargot, snails, in the same restaurant seemed no different from oysters bathed in salty garlic butter. 

Escargot is French for......................wait for it................................snails. :D 
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike said:

Escargot is French for......................wait for it................................snails. :D 
    Hey!  I just now finally understand the joke in Trading Places about the snail who wanted big S's painted on his new car!
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    I finally opened this gem of a thread to see what was in it now that he is gone......  Wow.  Just, wow.  On another thread I opinioned that he was a 13 year old.  I have changed my mind.  He is one of those individuals who has been educated beyond his intelligence and does not even have a feeble grasp on the real world.
This discussion has been closed.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement