Home Main Category General Firearms

help with gun for gift?

2»

Replies

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,654 Senior Member
    The man needs a 1911! 

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Or........
    See if the gunshop would sell you a gift certificate so he could choose the one he likes best?
  • North ForestNorth Forest Member Posts: 354 Member
    Michakav said:
    The man needs a 1911! 

That's what I was thinking, or a nice revolver, like a S&W. Those are guns to love.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,066 Senior Member
    edited June 5 #35
    Michakav said:
    The man needs a 1911! 

That's what I was thinking, or a nice revolver, like a S&W. Those are guns to love.
    Excellent option!  I would never willingly part with my S&W 686 Plus.  Fun plinker with .38 Special, powerful self defense tool loaded with .357 Magnum and in your price range.  Every man needs a .357 Magnum. 😁

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    edited June 5 #36
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Spend $630 and have money left over for a holster, magazines, and ammo.

Welcome hey.

For my .02 worth put me down with Chiro.

BTW, I like your attitude. Do you think you could sit down with my wife and discuss spousal relations?
    LOL!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,847 Senior Member
    edited June 9 #37
    To put this into more of a woman's perspective, trying to buy a gun that "fits" him would be similar to him attempting to buy you a bra.

Even knowing what size you wear,  there are so many other options, that there's a decent chance you wouldn't be happy with what he got you.

I second the previously posted ideas of either seeing if your local gun shop offers gift certificates or giving him a budget.

One other idea I had while typing the above, "Baby (or whatever you call him), I'm taking you out for your birthday. Don't ask a lot of questions, it's a surprise." And then take him to his favorite gun store.  Once he's there, tell him your spending limit and let him pick what fits him best.

He gets something he wants, you get to do it together and irregardless of the laws in your local, he, the final owner, does the paperwork so there's no chance of running afoul of any laws.

edited to add: If your local has a waiting period, take him there at least that many days before his birthday, so he can get it ON his B'day (just a thought as the caffeine kicks in)

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    edited June 9 #38
    I like the Gift Certificate option. Of course, not knowing your hubby, if he's like my baby, she would feel guilty of spending over $5. So If I got her a gift certificate and told her she had to spend it on herself she wouldn't feel guilty. Of course, she's gonna buy gold not guns.

The reason I like the gift card other than so he won't feel guilty especially when you tell him he has to spend it all on himself is that guns are something that are hard to get right when buying for some one else. It's kind of like choosing accessories for a new car. Everybody had a different opionion.

Academy has gift cards and a pretty good selection of guns.

As far as doing it together, go with him so you can remind him that he has to spend it on himself.

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,275 Senior Member
    I think the main question that needs answered is..

Do you have an older sister or other unattached female family member that have similar gift ideas?
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 360 Member
    edited June 9 #40
     Do you have an older sister or other unattached female family member ?

The baccy chewin' aged spinster aunt?
    With your luck.

:D