Home Main Category General Firearms

Practical Accuracy

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 11,639 Senior Member
It's a series of videos on You Tube.  Two guys from Texas shoot mostly MilSurp rifles at range, 150 up to 500 yards, but some up to 800.  Most rifles are shot with irons and at steel silhouette torso targets.  Henry Chan is the principal shooter and the accuracy standards are very informative and sometimes surprising.  Some sniper military rifles are shot as well at extended ranges of 800 yards for some rifles with optics.  

Even shoot the SKS and got some hits, but it was pretty sketchy.  Basically, most military rifles were pretty accurate at combat range.  By combat accuracy, I'm thinking 3 MOA.

So far, the surprise for me and them was a French sniper rifle, I think a FR 49 (?) with a 4x scope that cleaned the course out to 800 yards. 

If you're interested in accuracy of military rifles, this is a good source. 
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,026 Senior Member
    got a link?

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,639 Senior Member
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,894 Senior Member
    just search "9-hole reviews" on youtube and you'll find most of what Gene mentions. I'm not sure if those are the exact ones though
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Ive seen a couple of their videos. Interesting for sure.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,652 Senior Member
    GREAT YouTube channel. They also perform handgun range tests.

Regarding the FR-49 French sniper rifle they mentioned a movie where the S.O. unit it was designed for takes part in a hostage rescue situation; here it is:

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,639 Senior Member
    edited June 11 #7
    Well.  I watched that, Antonio, and thanks for posting that link, but it was way unrealistic once it got to the shooting stage.  Hell, the SO guys practically wiped out the terrorists and the Somalies who came to aid the terrorists.  Before that, it was pretty good, kind of a 21st century equivalent of a 20th century WW 2 squad movie. (With a gay sniper as a nod to 21st century tastes.)  And the weapons of the opposition were pretty good...I saw a Berthier and a MG 40, I think.  Lots of AKs. The main character didn't look like he knew how to shoot a rifle.

I'm willing to voluntarily suspend my disbelief but not to that extent.