Home Main Category General Firearms

45-70 loading advice

13»

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,752 Senior Member
    Yeah...when you start measuring your bullet drop in yards things get fun...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,802 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    Being the first time I’ve ordered coated lead bullets, is this considered normal? Maybe I’m overreacting, but I’m not too impressed. And not sure I want to send that down the bore of a pretty nice rifle. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I thought that coating would be a little more durable than to be flaking off in the box.

Quick update on this. 

After noting the problem with the coating on here, I contacted ACME through the contact form on their website. I explained the problem and that I wasn’t interested in a refund or going through the hassle of sending them back, just wanted to let them know about the problem. Even told them I’d just shoot them up as is, provided they didn’t dirty my gun too bad. 

Took them a while, but I got an email from them today. They apologized, said they identified the problem and have corrected it. They also issued me a full refund. 

So, at least this batch of their bullets gets a D- so far for the bad coating. But their customer service gets an A... 👍 

I most likely won’t try coated bullets again. But I might order more regular bullets from them, just because of their effort. 
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,426 Senior Member
    Try Missouri Bullet Company coated.  I have had decent results with the coated 405 gr.  Well really, I have had good luck with all the coated bullets I have gotten from them.  I dont recall any having issues with the coating.
    To the loading manuals....

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    The gas check hp's are pretty. Im assuming the rifles action and the operators shoulder will limit speed to some degree?
    edited June 11 #68
    The gun is rated to 29,000 CUP. Around the same as a Marlin 1895, I believe. My guess is the lead’s ability to stay together will be the limiting factor, aside from my shoulder. Those reasons are why I’m going for 2000-2200.. but, it’s just a guess until I try it..
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Im sure they'll take care of anything needed at that speed.........