Home Main Category Clubhouse

Love Dragonflies

pjames777pjames777 Senior MemberPosts: 1,421 Senior Member
Interesting creatures and have always impressed me as to how they fly and maneuver. Got a lucky photo in my garden the other day and its wing structure is an engineering marvel, IMHO. 

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Loves me some dragon flies! They are really hard  on mosquitoes, one of their  favorite foods. Their wings are a marvel in construction.
    I also like watching the damsel flies, too. Only one set of wings, but they sure can do some amazing maneuvers!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,929 Senior Member
    Nice! Many years I was in Alaska waiting for a plane ride, and a huge dragonfly landed on my sweatshirt. He was eating a bumblebee like a carmal apple. We watched him eat entire thing and fly away?
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,717 Senior Member
    My wife loves them!  I hope you don't mind I took the liberty of editing one of your pics a little to liven up the colors and sent it on to her.  She thanks you for sharing!  I think she's making it her Mac monitor background.

Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    Gunnut...NP...  Tried to get another yesterday but too windy.  Like this one but where there's black it was baby blue! 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,104 Senior Member
    That's a REALLY cool story - thanx for sharing it! My wife asked her recently departed father to give her a sign. She got one. A candle she had blown out about 5 minutes previously relit itself.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba said:
    That's a REALLY cool story - thanx for sharing it! My wife asked her recently departed father to give her a sign. She got one. A candle she had blown out about 5 minutes previously relit itself.
    I love when stuff like that happens...  <3

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,104 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    When we meet up at the shoot, remind me to tell you about my deceased mother and the piano. Bit long to type out...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    When we meet up at the shoot, remind me to tell you about my deceased mother and the piano. Bit long to type out...
    I will!

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Wow, that story about your ex genuinely got me choked up.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun said:
    Wow, that story about your ex genuinely got me choked up.
    It hit me hard just telling it.  But I thought it’d be appreciated...

• sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    Many of the insects I enjoyed while growing up are now rare or worse in my small semi rural/agricultural town due to excessive mosquito spraying. Yesterday I was sitting outside and a full size dragonfly landed next to me on the side of my house. It sat there for a few minutes then continued on it's way. It was the first one I had seen here in more than three years.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,317 Senior Member
    During idle conversation one day, my first wife said if she was reincarnated she hoped it would be as a Canada goose. Two short years later she died. The day after she died, one day before her funeral, I was sitting on the dock at my sister's catfish pond trying to keep it together. 

A Canada goose, the only one I ever saw in Louisiana, silently glided over my head at about 30 feet altitude.

Colorado Springs has more Canada geese than you can shake a stick at, and are a very common sight. But every time I see one.....I wonder.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    During idle conversation one day, my first wife said if she was reincarnated she hoped it would be as a Canada goose. Two short years later she died. The day after she died, one day before her funeral, I was sitting on the dock at my sister's catfish pond trying to keep it together. 

A Canada goose, the only one I ever saw in Louisiana, silently glided over my head at about 30 feet altitude.

Colorado Springs has more Canada geese than you can shake a stick at, and are a very common sight. But every time I see one.....I wonder.

Mike
    No need to wonder.  Loved ones will let you know they are Ok.  She did...