Home Main Category Clubhouse

Dick Van **** Condemned Over ‘Blackface’ Appearance In Mary Poppins

AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 459 Member
edited June 2020 in Clubhouse #1
There have been calls for the actor Dick Van **** to be digitally edited out of the 1964 Disney Movie Mary Poppins after multiple people noticed that he had applied ‘blackface’ makeup for the role of Bert, the chimney sweep and general Jack of all trades.

https://southendnewsnetwork.net/news/dick-van-****-condemned-over-blackface-appearance-in-mary-poppins2/
Michelle Garridge was the one of the first people to mention the discovery on Twitter, and she told us that she was ‘disgusted and horrified.’

She added, ‘You can’t even use the excuse that it was acceptable in the 1960’s as Disney should have had the cultural foresight to realise that it would be offensive forty years later.’

‘More to the point, his name is basically Penis Van Lesbian, so how the hell can that be acceptable either?’ 

edit
Replace the **** (asterix) with d-y-k-e to use link

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,152 Senior Member
     Not far enough! That movie's been irritating too many people for way too long. The stupid song is enough to send me screaming into the cellar to hide behind the spuds.

DELETE THE WHOLE MOVIE!
    And never look back.

Then we can get back to our Mary Tyler Moore fantasies uninterrupted........
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,793 Senior Member
    edited June 2020 #3
    So, the word prick is ok, but not the word d-y-k-e? Stupid censorship!
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Dick Van D.Y.K.E was a chimney sweep in that movie. Folk that clean chimneys get soot all over their skin and clothes. Nothing to see here, just some retrograde intelligence mouth breathing morons finding something to be offended about.
    And by all means, DON'T LET THEM SEE PICTURES OF COAL MINERS COMING OUT OF THE MINES!!!!!!!!! Them poor easily offended folk will get a massive case of the vapors and there will be a run on smelling salts that will rival the run on toilet paper! :D:D:D:D:D 
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,039 Senior Member
    Or any person that ever made an honest living, it usually evolves getting dirty, ie Mike Rowe!! When I would get done changing brake stacks and torque tubes on an F-4, I looked like a coal miner!!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,159 Senior Member
    When I was in my late teens and early 20s, I worked as a roustabout in the west Texas oil fields.  I usually came home dirty, grimy and often smelling of oil and crud.  There was this one time, though, when I spray painted a "christmas tree", which is a large gas valve that sticks out of the ground about 6 feet, silver.  The tree was in a hole that was a little deeper than the it was, so by the time I finished painting it I was covered head to toe in silver paint.  I kidded that it looked like I had auditioned for the part of the tin woodsman in the Wizard of Oz.

I wonder now if that makes me a racist.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    Oh dear. Guess we better strike Robert Downey Jr. and Gene Wilder from history as well.

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,208 Senior Member
    edited June 2020 #8
    Don't forget Ben Stiller.
    (Coal miner scene from Zoolander)

And C. Thomas Howell in Soul Man.

So many others...
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

edited June 2020 #9
    Oh, what's this? Add Julie Andrews to the list.

Dick van Dyke/Julie Andrews

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 459 Member
    Spk said:

Names should be named.

edited June 2020 #11
     Not far enough! That movie's been irritating too many people for way too long. The stupid song is enough to send me screaming into the cellar to hide behind the spuds.

DELETE THE WHOLE MOVIE!
    And never look back.

Then we can get back to our Mary Tyler Moore fantasies uninterrupted........

And The Sound of Music.

The Lonely Goatherd????

AlleyCat said:
    Spk said:

Names should be named.

I remember Tommy Davidson doing his Michael Jackson impersonation on In Living Color.

So was he White Facing?

Here's some more...

That's Marlon and Shaun Wayons as white FBI agents, directed by their older brother Keenan Ivory Wayons in White Chicks.

And Eddie Murphy in Coming to American.
    Yes, that's Eddie Murphy as an old Jewish guy Saul.
    It was all very funny good natured comedy. I can't understand why so many people are bent out of shape over Dick van Dyke.

edited June 2020 #13
    Spk said:

It was all very funny good natured comedy. I can't understand why so many people are bent out of shape over Dick van Dyke.

......no real aims or objectives in mind other than to add a satirical/spoof-like touch to issues that people are passionate about............ Above all else, SNN is all about having the occasional ‘dig’ at the powers that be, as well a slightly bigger and more frequent ‘dig’ at certain elements of local media!

A funny,

I say, it's a funny son.

Or is it?

“In 2000, while on SNL, I made a terrible decision to do an impersonation of Chris Rock while in blackface,” Mr. Fallon said on Twitter. “There is no excuse for this. I am very sorry for making this unquestionably offensive decision and thank all of you for holding me accountable.”

Just wait until the eternally offended discover the Mel Brooks movies. The Liberals heads exploding will cause more damage than a full nuclear exchange from Russia! :D
    ― Douglas Adams
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,357 Senior Member
    One of Eddie Murphy’s funniest skits on SNL was doing a parody of “Black Like Me” called “White Like Me”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_LeJfn_qW0

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    The sheriff is near. 
    One of Eddie Murphy’s funniest skits on SNL was doing a parody of “Black Like Me” called “White Like Me”.

If it's funny, then I'm laughing at it, and that's funny! :D
    ― Douglas Adams
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member

I was thinking of Eddie's 'Mr White'. My parents taught me to 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you', 'Two wrongs don't make a right' which in my opinion renders 'Fight Fire with Fire' as in: fighting racism with racism totally non-productive. 

Spk said:

It's been many years since I have seen 'Mary Poppins'. I could not remember Dick Van **** in "blackface". A few appropriate soot smudges on a chimney sweeps face is "NOT BLACKFACE"! We are dealing with ignorant brainwashed idiots!!!

It's been many years since I have seen 'Mary Poppins'. I could not remember Dick Van **** in "blackface". A few appropriate soot smudges on a chimney sweeps face is "NOT BLACKFACE"! We are dealing with ignorant brainwashed idiots!!!
  • 2Aman2Aman Member Posts: 332 Member
    The sheriff is near. 
    Ha, classic
    The sheriff is near. 
    Don't hate on Gabby! 😁
    Too many classic lines to quote.