Home Main Category Clubhouse

A GREAT new tool purchase

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,391 Senior Member
With the new tractor and 3 attachments (4 if you include the loader) there are a BUNCH of grease zerks. 
 Since I don't trust manufacturers OR dealers, I spent today (and 1.5 tubes of grease) greasing everything.

Having seen how many places I was going to have to grease, I bought a Ryobi-1 cordless, electric grease gun. (I have quite a few other ryobi-1 tools/batteries already)
That thing makes it EASY to grease big things that take a lot of grease. Like the gear box on my 450# spreader)

At 7 pounds loaded with grease, and with a battery, dammed thing's HEAVY, but worth it if you have a LOT of things to grease
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,879 Senior Member
    The red monster needs alot of grease. The modern work trucks I drive use onboard pneumatic lube, but I don't know how good they are. All that humidity down there, its good you got after it......
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 607 Senior Member
    Grease and a grease gun has an astounding amount of power in it. I once made an adapter plug to screw into a spark plug with a grease fitting and easily budged a seized piston in an engine that i was trying to get freed up for a friend. The electric guns are definitely a good tool.
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,286 Senior Member
    I am looking for an air grease gun set up . I don't have much luck with anything that has a battery for it . Finding all the nipples can get interesting some days . I can always count on a mess with grease or oil lines . Actually I can make a mess doing anything . lol
  • AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 386 Member
    edited June 2020 #5
    Good tools, got my first Ryobi in 2009.
    One of the original Ni-Cd packs is still in use.

Father's day is coming up.

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,757 Senior Member
    edited June 2020 #6
    Ryobi tools used to be almost bulletproof when they were actually Japanese-made. I bought a 3/8" plug-in hand drill back in 1975, and it lasted me with hard usage until a few years ago, when it got really noisy after drilling through a concrete wall with it.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,955 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    I am looking for an air grease gun set up . I don't have much luck with anything that has a battery for it . Finding all the nipples can get interesting some days . I can always count on a mess with grease or oil lines . Actually I can make a mess doing anything . lol
    My old hand grease gun had died in California, so I abandoned it in place. Been thinking about an air version as well as the Jeep has zerks.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,859 Senior Member
    I have had a dewalt one for a while, they are great. Mine has a pretty long hose so even though it is heavy it can sit on something and still reach most zerks. Did you read your book , sometimes they like to hide some.