Home Main Category General Firearms

Picking a lever 22

kansashunterkansashunter Senior MemberPosts: 1,785 Senior Member
I only have a bolt 22, I do use my wife's 10/22 sometimes, and I looked at other autos but the more I thought about it a lever would be good. I don't intend to start another marlin Winchester thread but I would like some opinions. I have looked online so far at browning, Henry and Marlin. I lusted for a marlin 50 years ago.   

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,664 Senior Member
    I have been thinking about a 22 lever gun myself, but other things have taken priority. I like the Marlin myself
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,825 Senior Member
    Nothing wrong with any of those choices. I have a Winchester, my daughter,a Henry and my brother a JM Marlin 39 and they are all wonderful rifles. 
    Browning has a Maple stock version of theirs that I find simply gorgeous. 
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,647 Senior Member
    I have a Henry H001; awesome tack driver. The brand has many models in that caliber to.choose from and what seems to be a top notch customer's service.
    It's the least expensive of the 3 mentioned; receiver is zamac unlike the other ones made of steel. Would be my choice if in a tight budget.

Good friend of mine has the Browning and I've shot it a few times. Finish, fitting and function is excellent; almost hurts to take it into the woods. My only actual problem it is the whole trigger assy pivots with the lever.

Another buddy has the Marlin 39a. Built like a tank, you listen the hammer dropping actually louder than the round detonation when firing it. Very accurate and nicely made but for me the lever shape due to the pistol-grip stock gives it an awkward look.

Despite this, the 39a would be my 1st. choice due to its robustness and reliability.
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,357 Senior Member
    look at the similarities and difference of all you mentioned.

The BL22 has a 30? degree short throw lever.  Have you felt/used a lever action with a short throw?  the trigger on the BL 22 is mounted on the lever too.  So you wont pinch your finger if you want to play "the rifleman"

The win/marlins are nice guns, but imo, the older versions have smoother actions.  If that is important to you, then expect to pay more or have a new version worked on.  Also imo, a older marlin/winchester will have more value down the road.  A henry? who knows.

Henrys are made with modern techniques and are smooth imo.   

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,071 Senior Member
    Picked up a Henry H001 earlier this year for my wife and have been very impressed with it.  More accurate than I am and something about running a lever gun is just.......fun.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    edited June 5 #7
    I'm a Marlin guy, love my M39. If you can find one made before the stupid cross bolt safety, and one with a straight grip!! ( I would hate you if you find one with a straight grip!! B) )
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,287 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    I'm a Marlin guy, love my M39. If you can find one made before the stupid cross bolt safety, and one with a straight grip!! ( I would hate you if you find one with a straight grip!! B) )
    That's the one lever .22 I will own someday.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,629 Senior Member
    edited June 5 #9
    If you're buying a lever gun for today and next year, a Henry is an excellent choice.  If you're buying for a legacy, I'd go for a Marlin 39.  An older one; don't know about the new ones.  

My shooting buddy has a Henry and it's very accurate and smooth operating. And the price is much more affordable than a 39a. The receiver is some sort of alloy and I don't know where it's going to be 30 years from now.  The rifle is handsome enough, black walnut stock and the action is quick.

And you know about the Marlin. Mine will last through the ages in the hands of my grandchildren and great grandchildren. Maybe so will the Henry, but it doesn't have the history behind it.

I scratched my lever action itch when I was 18-19 with a Winchester 250, the cheapest Win lever gun made.  I bought it for use, not legacy, and it's fine for that, and all I could afford at the time. I still have it.  If the Henry had been offered in 64, I would have bought that one.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,317 Senior Member
    Have the Henry Golden Boy and the grandkids love it.  Very accurate and fun to shoot.  Its about 15 years old and still shoots and  looks great.

Drawback is it is much to nice to haul around the woods.  Beautiful walnut stock, but as they say, you can always refinish them.  

Grandson at the range with his Henry.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,292 Senior Member
    I have a Marlin 39, and a Henry in .22 WMR. Both have butter smooth actions and are very accurate with the right ammo they like. If I can get to feeling better in the next couple of weeks, I'm  going to get one of the Henry lever rifles in  .22 S/L/LR.
    I've shot one of the older Winchesters, and it was a sweet little lever rifle, too.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 537 Senior Member
    I have 2 Henry’s one the brass receiver the other just a plain one. I also have a Browning BL-22. 

The Plain Henry is an awesome gun. It functions perfectly and is accurate.You can regularly hit the 10inch gong at 100yrds. This is one of my oldest sons favorite guns he likes the longer throw. 

The brass receiver one is every bit as good but like mentioned before it’s kind of to pretty to bang around. 

The Browning is my personal favorite simply because of the short throw. It’s as accurate as the Henry but faster to cycle and shoot. 

I have a friend whom I have been trying for years to buy a Winchester 9422 with the large loop on it. I want it for nostalgia. In my opinion the Henry and Browning are every bit as good.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    Find yourself a clean 39A.  It's an old school, all steel gun with a darn near target barrel on it.  When you load the full length tube magazine with shorts, they take a LONG time to empty out. :D

The Henrys are good, inexpensive guns - with inexpensive gun features like painted cast aluminum receivers, and IIRC, plastic barrel bands
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,232 Senior Member
    I'm no lever gun expert by a long shot but I have an older Winchester 9422 in 22 mag that's a really nice piece. I don't know if they current product is better or worse. 
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 430 Member
    Another vote here for the 39A. Those are beautiful, accurate and best of all, simplistic as can be. Ive reblued 2 or 3 within the past year and they are addicting to fondle.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,825 Senior Member
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,809 Senior Member
    I have a 1960s Marlin Golden 39A. Excellent rifle. Love it. 
    Bigslug said:
    Find yourself a clean 39A.  It's an old school, all steel gun with a darn near target barrel on it.  When you load the full length tube magazine with shorts, they take a LONG time to empty out. :D

The Henrys are good, inexpensive guns - with inexpensive gun features like painted cast aluminum receivers, and IIRC, plastic barrel bands
    My shooting buddy, a Henry .22 fanatic, said Henry recalled the plastic barrel bands long ago and will replace all that are still exist.  I asked about the brass-colored one, he said it's a different receiver metal compound still has the steel cover over it.  The blue on his rifle doesn't look like paint, looks like hot blued, but I haven't looked all that closely.

Not too long ago, I bought a Henry pump .22.  Basically same receiver but a pump instead of a lever.  I envisioned something like a Winchester pump, but it was nothing like that.  It was large and clunky and not trim like I wanted.  I got rid of it quickly.  The guy who ended up with it had a problem with it, sent it back to Henry and they replaced it within a week or so.  They've got excellent customer service,  so there's that.

My 39a was made in 61.  I'm waxing the stock right now with Feed-N-Wax.  I could do w/out the golden trigger, but oh, well.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,010 Senior Member
    If you are buying new, go with a Henry. 

If you can buy an older model- Marlin
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    I also have a Marlin model 57, the "Levermatic"! It's like a lever action model 60, ugly as sin, but shoots great.
    See the source imageVery short lever throw, too.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,738 Senior Member
    I have the BL22 and love it! I handled and shot the Marlin and Win, I prefer the Browning. Accurate, good fit and finish and short throw lever is a real plus for me. I like the trigger in the lever feature for can competitions, I don't pinch my finger and the short throw makes it almost as fast as a semi auto. I looks great next to my single six.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,785 Senior Member
    I had noticed on gb that there were no plain Henrys and I stopped by my lgs and there are not out there right now. I am not in a hurry so I am going to keep my eye out for a used 39 or a browning and if I can't find one when this latest craze is over I can always buy a new henry. Besides when I got home from work yesterday the ac had quit so that is going to take my extra cash. 
    Yeah, but the seed is planted, and there's enough fertilizer around here to make it grow!! B)
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,785 Senior Member
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/870240160 If it wasn't for a bad AC I would be bidding on this one. 
    Save up for a Marlin M 39, especially the older ones...they're made in the USA. 
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,738 Senior Member
    That's a nice looking rifle, mine is a Plain Jane
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink: