Home Main Category General Firearms

Raw oil and walnut

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 11,623 Senior Member
Finished my M1A with raw linseed oil.  It probably won't impress anyone because I don't have a before picture, but I think it looks a lot better.  Oil-looking military finish rather than shiny hunting rifle finish.  First picture is of the rifle balanced precariously on my truck bed, not very informative, second is a close-up showing in some detail how a portion of it finished out.  The first was in sunlight, second was inside as it was raining.  I'm a pisspoor photographer, and it shows.  A benefit is the stock smells great!
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    I'm liking it. The 2nd pic looks a lot like the finish on my 30BR. Not flashy....IMO, quietly understated.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,752 Senior Member
    Nice job Gene...I prefer those matte oil finished working rifles...Well Done!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Looks nice!

Were they carried with a bayonet?
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,623 Senior Member
    edited June 10 #5
    Bayonets make it an "assault weapon."  No, mine doesn't have a bayonet lug, although I think it would be a simple thing to put one on...change the flash hider.  Mine is already heavy enough w/out a useless bit of iron.  About 10 pounds +, unloaded, which is more than specs. 

A beefy rifle rifle. Glad I don't have to lug it.  The oil made it a bit darker and as mentioned in the original thread, it does have a slight reddish tint to it, not visible in the artificial light of my LR.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,822 Senior Member
    It looks to me as it should. I like it!
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    M1A's are heavy, with a capital H.

I was in AFJROTC in high school and the rifle drill team commander. We used fake '03's for our  our football field antics, and if I can say so myself.....we were pretty impressive.

We were good enough that our team was invited to a 3 day "Summer Camp"  with North Western State Universities Drill Team.

Holy crap......They used actual M1A's.  By the time it was over, we'd beaten the shizz out of ourselves and each other since most of us barely weighed more than 9x's the rifle. I'll never forget that. Everybody was bloody, bruised, and dejected except the drill masters. They kind of laughed at that.

So I hated the Army and joined the Marines.

I know.....But I've never had to touch an M1A again.

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,754 Senior Member
    Looks GREAT! Just like it's supposed to!!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,640 Senior Member
    Looks Great Gene, much nicer than shiny
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,352 Senior Member
    edited June 10 #10
    Gene L said:
    Finished my M1A with raw linseed oil.  It probably won't impress anyone because I don't have a before picture, but I think it looks a lot better.  Oil-looking military finish rather than shiny hunting rifle finish.  First picture is of the rifle balanced precariously on my truck bed, not very informative, second is a close-up showing in some detail how a portion of it finished out.  The first was in sunlight, second was inside as it was raining.  I'm a pisspoor photographer, and it shows.  A benefit is the stock smells great!
    imo,

its you who will notice the difference and will notice that difference everytime you hold it and take it out.

ive always wanted an M1A, but never pulled the trigger.

nice job btw

hope you like it...
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    147gr ball loaded with medium burn rate powder?

It should look good on the bench at the range.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    edited June 10 #12
    Beautiful job Gene. That's the way it should look.

I love those Military oil finishes. My M-1 has a damn Beech wood stock except for the barrel guard which is walnut as it all should be. So I tried to stain it. But that didn't do much good. My dad's, which he willed to my youngest son, is all walnut finished correctly with linseed oil.

My new to me Remington Model 721 was pretty crappy when I got it from the pawn shop but I stripped the crappy varnish off and applied a few coats of Boiled Linseed Oil. I should have left well enough alone. It looked almost like Gene's here except it was darker. But I just had to screw around and wax it. All that did was accent every ding and off colored spot on it. Those flat oil finishes are great for hiding flaws in the finish and they just have a classic look about them. They look like most guns did when I was a kid. They gave the impression of something that comes wrapped in oily brown paper.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,241 Senior Member
    Great great job on that stock Gene.  Beautiful rifle😍
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,631 Senior Member
    The M-14's I had issued at Quantico were great shooting rifles, the heavy weight was worth it to tame recoil.

Of course we used the peep sight and with the right dope it was extremely accurate to
    200 yds standing and 300 yds sitting or kneeling and and very good to 500 yds prone.

Battle sights with that rifle was 13 clicks up and that would be the place to start.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,119 Senior Member
    Looks about perfect.  Nice work, Gene.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,737 Senior Member
    That is a beautiful rifle with a great finish done the way it should be.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink: