Home Main Category General Firearms

12 gauge buckshot cost?

Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior MemberPosts: 1,355 Senior Member
I don’t understand why 12 gauge self defense  rounds are so expensive.  Are 50 BMG rounds less expensive per round than 

Has anyone tried hand loading them with things like the old Lee Loaders?  Heck, I have seen videos of people building rounds with simple hand tools and a crimping device.

Thoughts?

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    edited June 14 #2
    Been awhile since I bought any. Just checked online. Not only expensive, but unavailable.

Id scrounge up whatever you can and try to stock up when people take a break from their senseless panic.

Times like this, I don't feel so bad about not shooting much. Have you looked to see if the Lee Loaders are still around and not out of stock?  

Well I prefer slugs or buck for serious use. Id use whatever shells I had if I needed to. At the distance I could hit, the shot would hit as a semi solid mass anyway.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,900 Senior Member
    edited June 14 #3
    Supply and Demand in a fear driven market.
    Since we're talking defensive shotgun ammo, Midway has their PDX1 Defender line for $1.50 a round. (Unavailable at the moment)

Compare that to $2.80 a round for military surplus 50 BMG.

Or even $6.80 a round for Hornady Match 50 BMG ammo.

I just use whatever shotgun slugs are on sale. It's an ounce of lead from a 12 guage at likely close range, it'll get the job done.

I also load my own when I have time but I use those just for practice.

Try loading your own. You can get a Lee Load-All 2 shotshell press to get you started.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 302 Member
    2 3/4 #3 buckshot is a great self defense load- lots of pellets that hit hard and penetrate well at SD range without excessive recoil. The goal is to hit vitals and more pellets helps accomplish that
    If you want larger, jump up to #1 buckshot.
    If you feel you need more go to 3" magnums. a 3" #1 has 24- 30 caliber pellets in every round, a 3" OO has 15- 32 caliber.

I have killed tons of deer with buckshot over the years-lots of experience- the copper plated groups tighter and penetrates a little better.

$1/shot in a 5 pack- box of 25 usually about 75 cents/shot
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,337 Senior Member
    You can buy buy a shotshell reloader and 00 round bullet mold from Lee Precision for a little over $100. The bullet mold molds 18 buckshot at a time.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams