Home Main Category General Firearms

Range Report: Springfield XDm 4.5" 9mm

bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior MemberPosts: 2,543 Senior Member
I have only been a shooter for a little over 23 years (still a pup, I know).  In all that time, believe it or not, I've never owned a 9mm pistol.  Shot plenty, just never felt the need to own one.  
Well, those days are over.  After reading the "Holes in your collection" thread, I decided that it's been long enough, and I needed to fill that hole  :D

I've owned several XD pistols over the years; one in .40S&W, and the rest in .45ACP.  I currently have two XD Mod 2.0s in .45: one 3.3", and one 5" Tactical, and I really like them both.  So, when shopping for a new 9mm, I thought, "why not keep it in the family?"

Sportsman's Warehouse obliged me with a sale on Springfield handguns, and I took the plunge. 
It came with a fiber optic front sight and two white dots in the rear; I like to have 24/7 sight visibility, and I've found that TruGlo TFX sights are strong and capable, so I picked some up and took them down to Peter (LGS) to have him put them on.  He does great work.

It came with two 19-round mags and three backstraps; the one that was already installed felt pretty good, so I left it on.

Since some of the shopping restrictions are still in place, I ordered the gun from Sportsman's website, so that I knew for sure they would have it there when I went in to fill out the paperwork.  I then went to LAX ammo's site and got lucky; they had Browning 115gr  rounds in a 1000-round pack, so I ordered those as well.  Fast forward two weeks, and I picked up the gun, got the sights put on, and went to the range the next day.

First 5 shots out of the barrel, 10 yards, two-hand grip in a relaxed isosceles stance:

As you can see, I was able to walk it into the bull with a little patience; the TFX sights are slightly shorter (height) and longer (length) than the OEM fiber optics, so the sight radius and height played a part.  I then took another 15 shots at the same distance, switching back and forth between left hand and right hand primary at 5-shot intervals:

Things really started to click then.  Eventually, I got down to one-hand shots at 7 yards, left and right:

So here's the rundown:

The Good:  I like the design, the grip, and the finish.  The quality is excellent, as has been my experience with all of my XD sidearms.  I am a big fan of the trigger weight and feel; some say it's a bit squishy compared to a Glock, but it feels good to me, and I know when it's going to break.  Obviously, it was accurate, and has great potential for precision. There were no FTFs or FTEs during the session.  The FDE coating looks good, and I expect it will hold up well over time.  Nineteen rounds  in the flush-fit magazine is a big plus. 

The Bad:  One of the two supplied magazines would not induce slide lock after the last round was fired.  There was no obvious reason for this; it didn't appear to have any deformations or defects.  This went on for about 3/4 of the session; finally, near the end, it started locking properly.  I think a good cleaning and some more exercise will clear this up.

The Ugly:  With all that's going on these days, the ranges are BUSY.  I had to put my name on a wait list and couldn't wait in the usual seating area, so I went and had lunch, and they called me to let me know the lane was ready.  It was pouring rain, and I didn't like having to go back out into that and then come back, but at least the range is indoors.  I know, not a big deal, but it sucked.  

The Verdict:  I like this gun!  As I said, it's my first 9mm, and I'm glad I decided to get it. It fits my hand well, shoots straight, and had no failures during the range session.  Now I have to stock up on ammo.  I dug up an old .50cal ammo can and am looking for deals.  So far, I've found Sig Sauer 147gr V-Crowns that I'll need to test.  

Side note:  I was not prepared for how small this gun felt in my hands compared to my .45s.  And the FMJ .45acp rounds feel like giants compared to the 9mm rounds.  I know there's a significant size difference, but shooting them back to back REALLY brought that difference to light. It wasn't a problem, but after owning .45acp sidearms almost exclusively for the past 10 years or so, it was a bit of a shock.

I brough my EDC along for comparison:

Even this little guy feels like a giant compared to the 9mm.  

It was a fun day.
Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.

Replies

• North ForestNorth Forest Member Posts: 354 Member
    Congrats on getting another SA to the stable. Like you SA works well for me, I have four including the Range Officer. And also like you I've had a "9mm revival", but with a Browning High Power. You've got to try one of those, its like falling in love all over again. Good shooting there, and quickly!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,588 Senior Member
    Good report! 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,434 Senior Member
    edited June 14 #4
    Thanks for the range report, how hard was it to load the last few rounds in that 19 round magazine?

What did you pay for that 1K of ammo?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,778 Senior Member
    Good for you! Nicely done!

Although there is a 9mm in the house, it isn't mine...the only one I have ever owned was a Beretta M92 I had for a couple of weeks before I sent it down the road...

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,639 Senior Member
    Good pistol, very ergonomic, accurate. My buddy had one I shot.  The 9mm is a fine round, too.  I'll almost never buy another .45.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,297 Senior Member
    Glad it worked for you . 
    Thanks for the write up.
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    I wasn't going to open this because those type of pistols don't excite me. But 19 rounds in a pistol that size is pretty good. Super good tool.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Thanks for the range report, how hard was it to load the last few rounds in that 19 round magazine?

What did you pay for that 1K of ammo?
    It was very difficult.  I recently gave away my UpLula to a new shooter that I've been working with, because I wanted her to have no trouble with her magazines.  I have a strange habit of giving away things I should keep.  So, I'll need to buy a new one.

I paid $229 for the Browning ammo.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    Congrats on getting another SA to the stable. Like you SA works well for me, I have four including the Range Officer. And also like you I've had a "9mm revival", but with a Browning High Power. You've got to try one of those, its like falling in love all over again. Good shooting there, and quickly!
    Thanks.  I'd try a High Power if I could find one.  I haven't seen one in a long time.