Home Main Category General Firearms

Gun shop name ideas?

AimcatAimcat Posts: 15 New Member
My bf and I are wanting to open a gun shop starting out with online sales then opening a store in about a year. I need a good name to create an LLC first. I like patriotic names, or maybe a name that incorporates our 2 names - Amy and Keith....I thought about the radio call signs Alpha Kilo Guns/Arms....any ideas are greatly appreciated. I am having a mental block!

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,642 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,412 Senior Member
    The obvious one would be "AK Guns" or "AK Gunshop" or similar - but only if you carried a good selection of AK-47s!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,681 Senior Member
    Marketing has never been my thing. But I wish you luck
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    edited June 15 #5
    ??
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    Nothing really catchy comes to mind.  But, welcome.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,778 Senior Member
    When I was younger,we had a guy open a gun shop in town called "Arms and Sundries"....about a year into operation, he opened an ice cream shop in the a south end of the building (which did a really good business) but everybody started calling the place "Arms and Sundaes"

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,290 Senior Member
    Kilroy Arms

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,350 Senior Member
    edited June 15 #9
    [Your Location] Firearms.  The big online stores have simple names like Buds.  The name won’t sell a single un.

Spend the extra time and money to creat a good website.  A good website will be designed to show up in a lot of online searches.  Think of good keywords.
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,325 Senior Member
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,831 Senior Member
    Target your clientele, a name of “call signs” to me imply a tactical leaning, if that’s you goal, go for it. The guy looking for a Perrazzi  trap gun may look past your store. Just my thought.
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 441 Member
    I started out the same way, but gunsmithing was my bread and butter. I learned real fast that there's no money in selling guns and its impossible to compete with your big box stores. I no longer sell guns except to family and friends. Not trying to discourage you, but it is something to consider. I'm no help with a name either, but welcome.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,437 Senior Member
    Just the tip? Welcome 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,437 Senior Member
    I started out the same way, but gunsmithing was my bread and butter. I learned real fast that there's no money in selling guns and its impossible to compete with your big box stores. I no longer sell guns except to family and friends. Not trying to discourage you, but it is something to consider. I'm no help with a name either, but welcome.
    You have to have a used market. You’re correct just selling new guns  won’t get you far. An indoor range helps a ton! 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • AimcatAimcat Posts: 15 New Member
    I'm in an area where people are guncrazy. There are 2 decent gun shops and they stay backed up. I bought a gun last week at one and waited 30 mins just to get to the counter. 
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,160 Senior Member
    OWUPEIP Guns.

Over Worked,Under Paid, Excercising Infinite Patience

Sorry, spent 13 years in that gig.  It left a mark.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 360 Member
    Aimcat said:
    I'm in an area where people are guncrazy. There are 2 decent gun shops and they stay backed up. I bought a gun last week at one and waited 30 mins just to get to the counter. 

By that criteria you should open a store that sells just toilet roll, face masks and "black lives matter" posters, and really make a killing.
    :|

• AimcatAimcat Posts: 15 New Member
     :s Really? ^^ I am looking for some serious input here please. 
  • AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 360 Member
    edited June 16 #19

Aimcat said:
      I am looking for some serious input here please. 
    Really? 

That is called a Business Plan, that don't include a short wait at the counter.

Bigslug said:
    OWUPEIP Guns.

Over Worked,Under Paid, Excercising Infinite Patience

Sorry, spent 13 years in that gig.  It left a mark.
    Read, Mark, Learn, and Inwardly Digest

Internet advice is free, not always correct.
    edit
    But I will try this.
    We are not living in normal times, we won't be for some time.

• pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,325 Senior Member
    Might research what people are buying at the other stores.  See if there's a niche you can fill that the others are missing.   Just a thought.  (Like focusing on women buying guns)
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,681 Senior Member
    pjames777 said:
    Might research what people are buying at the other stores.  See if there's a niche you can fill that the others are missing.   Just a thought.  (Like focusing on women buying guns)
    Once upon a time, a guy that used to live down here and I discussed doing a small business after retirement  Teaching woman basic safety and shooting skills and another class for advanced shooters.

Its a good basic model with a what and who.  

You need to do the same.  What is popular in your area, urban area where most need/want a shotgun and rifle, or city where handguns and home defense are what people want.  Of course you can sell a bit of everything, but you need to figure out your baseline and build on that.  Depending on your area Joe Bob's Guns or another area Uptown Guns and self defense supplies.  A flashy name one place would only get a snicker elsewhere.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,358 Senior Member
    jmo,

I built up a great relationship with my LGS.

At one time you could make $$$ on a new guns.  Then came the "kitchen gun dealers" during the komrad klinton/reno reign.  profit margins dropped.   its the reason i got my FFL.  At that time, the markup on guns was about 100 bucks.  

But when talking to my LGS recently he stated that " he only make about 20 bucks per new gun".  What happens now is that most if not all people go online, look for price.   Then they wonder the LGS/Gun shows to do the touchy-feely.  Then they call my LGS if he will transfer the gun if they have it sent there.  

They usually dont ask if he can meet/beat the price, but thats how people think now adays.

So most of the times he just transfers guns now.

the first time i asked if i could bring some guns in, he freaked.  but after i brought in 5 handguns (not currently made mind you) and he almost made 200 bucks in 10 minutes, he rethought things.  

what i was buying wasnt made anymore.  If i wanted a  new made gun, then i would just have him order it for me.  If it was 20~100 buck more than on the internet, it wasnt a big deal.  he needed to pay bills and such.   By him staying in business i had a place and a trusted person that would allow me to bring guns in.

he also told me that he made more $$ on selling accessories.  Since most people couldn't order them off the web.  But that may change too.  But he also got it at wholesale prices.

Recently some guys were looking for holsters.  1 guy wanted a lefty.  But at 1 time my LGS had a boat load and $$$ into holsters.  Everyone wants something different and that $$$ tied up in posters will just sit there.  Even though he had a lot of holsters, there were always someone that didnt want what he had.   No profit in money sitting on a wall.    But again, everyone wants something different.  He only carries a handful now and everything else is special order.  why stock at your dime when the wholesaler does it anyway and can get most of the stuff < 1 week.

He orders most of his accessories or guns from a wholesaler that pays for shipping.  Shipping can eat up any profits too.

one time a sig rep came in.  My LGS wanted to get some sig products, but in order to buy at a decent price, he had to shell out 10K and get a specific type/model of guns.  A few of them were some of their AR style guns.  Well, a year or so later, they dropped the prices on those AR style and guess what?  he had some expensive wall hangers with over prices.  He was not a happy camper.

My LGS was also a 1911 guru.  That was his bread and butter.  But he started modding them before it was fashionable for OEMs to do so.  OEMs didnt consider doing small piddley custom mods as any $$$.  but when you have more gunsmiths doing that and take $$ out of the OEMs mouths, guess what the OEMS did?  So his modding business dropped too.  But he still got work in since he was well known.  Eventually he got burnt out on this.

Then came the CASS.  He got into that and started modding guns for CASS.  I have a couple of his personal CASS toys and 1911s too.  Way nice.   But for the most part most people are not willing to pay for custom work now adays.  I saw that in my leatherwork.  Everyone thinks they deserve more $$ but when it comes to others.  F them. 

You can do what you want, but you may want to look at whats going on and how long it may last.  writing in line for 30 minuets?  that could be SOP now.

As someone said the USED gun market is where the potential to make more $$$.   but with 2 other shops in the area, what do you think will happen?  Anyone with anything to sell will hit all and then whoever gives the most, gets the sale.  My LGS said that is where he gets his money, and accessories.

as someone said look at what the others are doing and try to find a niche.  But if it was me, i would be always on the lookout and the possibilities of doing something new and a new niche. Im sure those other shops will be on the lookout too.

If your state allows Class III, and if no one does that, you may want to look into that.  but that will probably bring more scrutiny into your business.

good luck

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,412 Senior Member
    Most women would rather deal with another woman behind the counter in a gun shop if they have that choice. Heck, most of the time *I* would rather deal with a woman in a gun shop if I have that choice. So a woman focus can be a very good thing, we have a shop semi-local to me, "Femme Fatale" or some such. Run coed and women only classes, know about women's holsters, and off body carry options, etc, etc. My wife got her CCW through them.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."