Home Main Category Clubhouse

Old Ads you won't believe!

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 24,093 Senior Member

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,698 Senior Member
    I remember us passing around a chuck of asbestos in class in elementary school...  :D
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,093 Senior Member
    I remember they'd treat the classrooms of my elementary school with DDT. My wife remembers all the kids riding their bikes through clouds of the stuff when the mosquito abatement truck drove through the neighborhood. Never hurt us any, any, any, any, any...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba said:
    I remember they'd treat the classrooms of my elementary school with DDT. My wife remembers all the kids riding their bikes through clouds of the stuff when the mosquito abatement truck drove through the neighborhood. Never hurt us any, any, any, any, any...
    Living in the tropics those trucks were everywhere, all the time, and I was one of the kids riding through the mist without a care in the world...

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,116 Senior Member
    As long as the fibers are contained it retains its techno benifits without the techno consequences. 

Once upon a time. ..............
  • AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 454 Member
    As long as the fibers are contained it retains its techno benifits without the techno consequences. 

Once upon a time. ..............

It is now called encapsulation.

• DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    Here's one from The Ladies' Home Journal ca. 1912

edited June 2020 #9
    My favorite! 

Another one with the kids.  Read the text: Safe for a boy to handle and has none of the disadvantages of the dangerous toy pistol.  😎

• JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 618 Senior Member
    Geez, false advertisement goes way back. Especially with the Iver Johnson ads 😆
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,196 Senior Member
    And there's more...
    And then there's...

:#
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,976 Senior Member
    That first ad in the OP is a hoax, which makes me wonder about others.  The woman in that first ad is Kim Novak. 
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    That first ad in the OP is a hoax, which makes me wonder about others.  The woman in that first ad is Kim Novak. 
    Well, the title was "Old Ads You Won't Believe....

Lol!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,842 Senior Member
    Good old days, hey
    When I was a small boy. My grandfather had a host of instigating phrases he might unload at opportune or inopportune times. One was back when men were men and women were proud of it.......

Such phrases are carefully restrained in my memory and that one only sees the light of day for historical reference here...............

The gun ads I posted are real.

• Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 652 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    I remember us passing around a chuck of asbestos in class in elementary school...  :D
    Remember playing with mercury in school.
    There's a youtube video that features my old neighborhood and shows my old school torn down and gone. One of the comments said how old it was....... :'(
    GunNut said:
    Remember playing with mercury in school.
    Hell I remember breaking thermometers at home on purpose just so we could play with the mercury  :D

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,159 Senior Member
    While we're on the subject of mercury, where do you think the phrase "mad as a hatter" came from?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Lonewolf-PeruLonewolf-Peru Member Posts: 503 Senior Member

From a PEP comic, published in August 1963

From a PEP comic, published in August 1963
    I have the Crosman version of the revolver!

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,159 Senior Member
    I've seen a lot of the old cigarette ads that claimed tobacco to provide health benefits.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    I've seen a lot of the old cigarette ads that claimed tobacco to provide health benefits.
    You haven't heard of the benefits?

Now I know why I like Coca Cola. 😁

And then there's this... For those pesky toothaches.
    Or anytime you need a little "pick me up"

And others...

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 454 Member
    edited July 2020 #27
    AlleyCat said:

Even the dog is impressed!! 😂

I'd say where do I get those but with a Department Store named Shempley's I have to be automatically suspicious.

But that extra large snack sack could come in handy. 👍

• bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,929 Senior Member
    “More doctors smoke Camels than any other brand.”
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,495 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    Living in the tropics those trucks were everywhere, all the time, and I was one of the kids riding through the mist without a care in the world...

Because there was nothing to be careful of. There was no real evidence that DDT was harmful, the inventor ate a teaspoon of it EVERY day and lived to a ripe old age. Rachel Carson was a sham and her book was garbage. She killed as many people in third world countries as any banana republic dictator.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,495 Senior Member

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.