Home Main Category Clubhouse

Final work on the stock tank (pond) Fishing this weekend!

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,143 Senior Member
The fill line feeding our one acre stock tank (pond for those outside of TX) experienced a catastrophic failure during the last super heavy storms in Feb.  The bank gave way opening up a 12' X 15' diameter hole 2.5 feet deep.  All the dirt and clay washed into the tank causing the water to be chocolate brown and no visibility.  My son and I fixed the erosion issue by building a retaining wall and filling the hole with 11 tons of rock.  The last super heavy rains all of the water feeding the tank was crystal clear.  We also put large flat rocks in the fill line covering over the bare dirt and lastly large flat rocks over the white rock that filled the hole.

Today I have Pond King out spraying 2 tons of gypsum through a high pressure hose into the tank.  The gypsum adheres to the dirt and clay particles and sinks them to the bottom.  The gypsum won't hurt the fish or change the PH.  They say it should take two days to really start seeing the change to clear and week to get the final results.  

I'm hoping to finally do some bass and bluegill fishing this weekend!  Plus the skeeters are subsiding.  Nice way to spend fathers day weekend!

Clear water mixing with the brown pond water

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,310 Senior Member
    Glad you posted the pictures, a much bigger job than it sounded.
    How deep is the tank?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,159 Senior Member
    Very nice.  Looks like it would be a lot of fun to fish from a kayak or small row boat with a fly rod.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,143 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Glad you posted the pictures, a much bigger job than it sounded.
    How deep is the tank?
    At the deepest 6'.  We didn't build it, though I wish the former owners would have made it deeper!  My wife's friends husband did catch a 5 lb bass last year.  We have some 2.5' catfish and 10" bluegill. 

With only 6" at best visibility bass and bluegill fishing has been near impossible. 

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,310 Senior Member
    Having your own personal fishing hole is awesome!  
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,708 Senior Member
    That’s a lotta work boss...  
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,129 Senior Member
    That's remarkable. Must have took some serious research and planning to get it all together. Represents a big investment. 
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,143 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Ranches are always work!  You keep adding projects.  For each one you finish, two more pop up!  The  biggest chore on this one, was going around the ranch and finding flat rocks to put down.  I also got some from my neighbors places as well!

However, this weekend I'm going project free.  Fishing relaxing and giving much thanks to the knucklehead who came up with the idea of a fathers day!  I bet his wife tilted her head and chuckled with some snide look and comment.  Why would dads need a fathers day? God bless him for pushing the issue!

Happy Fathers day to all my fellow dads, poppa's, poppies and any other name your kids use!

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,315 Senior Member
    Lot's of work, but the rewards far outweigh the effort! My sister and BIL built a small "catfish" pond back in Louisiana and eventually we were catching 6-8 lb cats, bragging size bluegills, and 2-3 lb largemouth. 

I can't begin to guess the hours I spent fishing that pond that I could almost cast across, nor the tonnage of fish we dragged out of it over the years.

But they moved here to Colorado a few years back and the current owners busted the dam and drained the pond due to it attracting  "mosquitoes". It's 200 yards from the freakin' house! Those folks probably shouldn't live in Louisiana.

I miss that pond, and wish you well with yours.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,708 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Ranches are always work!  You keep adding projects.  For each one you finish, two more pop up!  The  biggest chore on this one, was going around the ranch and finding flat rocks to put down.  I also got some from my neighbors places as well!

However, this weekend I'm going project free.  Fishing relaxing and giving much thanks to the knucklehead who came up with the idea of a fathers day!  I bet his wife tilted her head and chuckled with some snide look and comment.  Why would dads need a fathers day? God bless him for pushing the issue!

Happy Fathers day to all my fellow dads, poppa's, poppies and any other name your kids use!
    Yep, when I owned mine the list of projects was never ending.  I could have spent my life on my tractor and never ran of stuff to dig, move, push or bury all by itself...
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”