Home Main Category General Firearms

Build update.

JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 430 Member
Some of you may remember me asking which twist rate I should use when I was ordering a bbl blank for a customers Mosin build. Im almost done with it, but still have some things to do to finish it up, including doing a snow camo paint scheme. He also brought me some rings and a scope thats a good brand but I can't recall which at the moment. Some of you may cringe because it's a hex receiver but I allude back to my "I just do as they ask." He wasn't very pleased with the archangel stock once it arrived in the mail but still wanted me to use it. I also installed a Timney trigger that I set at just under 2lbs. Put a tanker style brake on it thats incredibly effective. I believe he wants a bipod too but heres what I have so far. Oh yeah, forgot I did the bolt handle and drilled and tapped and installed a convention scope mount (over the receiver).

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,287 Senior Member
    Not my cup of tea but damn fine job based on what you had to work with.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 430 Member
    Yeah there's a ton of better platforms out there to build a tack driver out of but he said he's had this dreamed up for a long time. I've found that no matter what you do, these things will never look pretty. Its just something about that ugly as sin receiver.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,287 Senior Member
    Yeah there's a ton of better platforms out there to build a tack driver out of but he said he's had this dreamed up for a long time. I've found that no matter what you do, these things will never look pretty. Its just something about that ugly as sin receiver.
    True.  Well if nothing else it’ll probably shoot very well!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    That........
    Is exclusively unique!
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    I just spent ten minutes looking at your photo trying to find the best way to properly sum up my reaction. . . 

"Wait a minute. . .Uhhh. . .Doc. . . Are you telling me that you built a TIME MACHINE. . . .OUT OF A DELOREAN????" :D

Neat work, and a clear reminder why I should never be in any form of customer service ever again.

How does the detachable mag interface with the Mosin's interrupter/feed thingy?
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,010 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:

How does the detachable mag interface with the Mosin's interrupter/feed thingy?
    A buddy of mine put an Archangel stock on a mostin, and the answer is “not very well”
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    Very nice works and you give the customer what he (thinks he) wants!!
    I had a guy bring me a Carcano and he wanted a scope mounted 'cause the open sights shot way low, like in the dirt low, and he could not a adjust the sights. He changed his mind when I pointed out that the barrel was bent down and a scope wouldn't help. Dodged that bullet, so to speak!! B)
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,010 Senior Member
    As for the build-  Great work!  Did you keep it in the original godless commie chambering?

Personally- I’d rather have someone sporterize.   Or ack up a Mosin than pretty much any other military gun
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    As for the build-  Great work!  Did you keep it in the original godless commie chambering?

Personally- I’d rather have someone sporterize.   Or ack up a Mosin than pretty much any other military gun
    Yes, I tried to talk him into modifying the bolt face and extractor for pretty much anything else but he still wanted the pinko commie round 😆. And surprisingly the magazine functions really well. That part surprised the hell out of me.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,629 Senior Member
    Good looking job in turning a sow's ear into a cotton purse...never a silk purse, don't think a M-N is capable of that, but you seem to have reached the apex of M-N building.  Good cartridge, IMO.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,664 Senior Member
    Looks good.  I dont want to like it  but I do. You do test fire?  Hope it shoots better than expected
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    Looks good.  I dont want to like it  but I do. You do test fire?  Hope it shoots better than expected
    The only ones I test fire at a range are the ones I purpose build for competition and what not. This one just got test fired in the sand trap to test function, extraction, recoil and look at the primer.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,664 Senior Member
    Shucks. Guess we will never know how accurate it is
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5