Home Main Category Clubhouse

Staying home

BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 313 Member
I started my new job the day after memorial day.  Went to the office everyday even though they said I could work from home.  Managers were starting to come back and I figured it wouldn't be long til everyone was back so why bother.  Well, covid is on the rise in alabama, hospitalizations are up 50% and the number of positive tests like 150%.  So my boss said he is done coming in and said I should too.  Corporate encouraged everyone who can stay home to do so.  So Tuesday I lugged my PC home and been working from home.  First project they gave was 3 prototype boards in the upper Ghz range, faster than I have ever done buy a lot.  I have decided RF engineers are way more anal  then even analog engineers who are pretty bad.  Lots more minute details involved in RF.  But its really cool stuff.  The other day on of the mechanical guys was assembling a model of an RPG he 3D printed,  Seems everyone there is a gun guy so lots of gun talk goes on.  They were looking for engineers to help on a project for aircraft self defense missiles last week. A couple weeks ago this guy is in the machine shop putting a crown on a suppressor he built.  Very lax place.  This could be a fun job.  

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,143 Senior Member
    Welcome to the forum
    What type of guns are you interested in?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,962 Senior Member
    Are you doing circuit board layout?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 313 Member
    Diver43 said:
    Welcome to the forum

??????
    zorba said:

Yes
    BamaakII said:
    Diver43 said:
    Welcome to the forum

??????
    Well this is Guns and Ammo
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    And the clubhouse sub forum.  But I like all kinds of guns, I like taking them for long walks on the beach and quiet candlelit diners.  I like fondling them, rubbing them down with oil and when that's done, I give them shiny things.  And best of all, they never get jealous of other guns no matter how many I fondle. 
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,250 Senior Member
    Be nice, guys....He's not one of the recent spate of trolls.

Linefinder
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    edited June 2020 #9
    I've been here 10 years.  had to change my name when the passwords got reset, never could get back in.  but I only added the II to it.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,934 Senior Member
    How much for the 3D RPG model? Is it to scale? the boys would love that. 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    They are going to do some wind tunnel testing on it.  BTW its a .68 caliber complete with deploying fins.  He wants to print a .50 cal one for his muzzle loader
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,934 Senior Member
    BamaakII said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    They are going to do some wind tunnel testing on it.  BTW its a .68 caliber complete with deploying fins.  He wants to print a .50 cal one for his muzzle loader
    OK, we are going to need some pictures here please. Sounds like a VERY cool place to work
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    ^^^^^^  Yup, pictures please, this could get interesting
    BamaakII said:
    zorba said:

Yes
    Did that professionally for a few years. It can be a LOT of fun, but you're right about RF design. I only did a tiny amount on one board, and that was a challenge - controlled impedance and equal length balanced traces.

What software are you using?

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    edited June 2020 #15
    Cadance Allegro.  I've done digital and analog on plain old FR4 material up to 10GB for 20 some years.  Now using exotic materials I've only read about that costs 10 times as much at speeds way above 20-30 ghz is a whole new ball game.  Lot of tedious tasks with coplaner wave guides.  Stiching vias everywhere.  Having to calculate spacing constraints for every aspect of the board.  Much of what they tell me to do goes against everything I have ever learned.  even soldermask has to be a calculated distance from the waveguide.  Some of the missle seeker head boards I have seen look scarey to try and do.  Flex boards too, which I have never done but I don't think are to difficult.
    The descendant of the late, unlamanted OrCAD. Hopefully it has gotten better over the years. I used the old OrCAD for DOS which was so buggy that I was put onto OrCAD's beta test list so I could get versions that worked! There was one board that I had to use both a beta and a released version alternately to get the layout done as they both had bugs, but different ones. After a couple of years, it was considerably better, then they came out with their Windows product which was, at the time, an unmitigated disaster. I left the field shortly thereafter, but those I left behind were still cussing Cadence as of about 4 years ago - although they too said it was "better". I hope Your Mileage Varies!

• Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 364 Member
    BamaakII said:
     ... I have decided RF engineers are way more anal then even analog engineers who are pretty bad...   

Ordered a coffee mug for work from Amazon the other day.  Says "Arguing with an Engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.  After a few minutes you realize the pig likes it."
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,250 Senior Member
    Holy snuff!!! And people thought my machining thread was hard to follow.......LOL.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,453 Senior Member
    Bamaak, glad you got back in. Too bad you had to add the 'II' to your identity and start over. Like already mentioned, pics of that RPG would be super neat!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Orcad is alive and well.  their schematic software is actually pretty decent.  Cadence is one of the top 3 layout packages their is but they really are in the IC layout software business more. Most of the big 3, Allegro, Mentor and Altium have grown so big and cost so much per license only corporations can afford them.  hence the existence of smaller packages like orcad and pads and many others, but the trade off is they have a lot fewer features which in many cases, causes more design time.  A lot of Allegro users also buy add on packages from third parties which are really only skill files that enhance and speed things up.  But cadence has not gotten so ungainly like Mentor has.  There latterly 1000s of settings you have to have set right to make it do what you want.  Very frustrating but powerful software.
    edited June 2020 #21
    Some_Mook said:
    BamaakII said:
     ... I have decided RF engineers are way more anal then even analog engineers who are pretty bad...   

Ordered a coffee mug for work from Amazon the other day.  Says "Arguing with an Engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.  After a few minutes you realize the pig likes it."
    I learned years ago that the way an engineer learned something in school is the only way there is to do it.  No matter how much proof you show them contrasting it.  They think datasheets are gospel, 45 degree angles are bad, even at low speeds and the more filter caps the better, even if they are all the same value, which will only filter a small range of frequencies no matter how many there are.  Every power pin on a 1500 pin BGA must have a .1 UF cap on it. Cause the datasheet says so.  Stupid