Home Main Category General Firearms

Single-shot Sunday!

Replies

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,339 Senior Member
    Zee's got more singles than the till at an all night beer garden............

Gonna need another garter...

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,339 Senior Member

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,206 Senior Member
    Capanball on youtube has a video on the Whitworths.

I think I read the originals shipped from England in special wood crates with accoutrements and one thousand rounds each.

There were some rifleman with serious capability during the war. I think their rifles were usually more common than the very expensive Whitworths.
    The Rebs had another .451 sniper system called the Kerr, though those weren't exactly common either.

Ours hasn't been shot at distance, but accuracy isn't shabby - - as I recall about 2-3 MOA.  We replicated the side-mount Davis scope with a shorter Malcolm.  Pretty weird - you shim it for windage and elevation is accomplished with a pivoting dovetail at the rear and what might as well be a wing nut locking down a pointer on a scale.  The regulation charge generates enough recoil to keep that from really holding properly for more than a couple shots - - so pay attention.

Haven't cast for it in a long time.  Probably should.  It was the gun that got us into casting in the first place, and we started with one of the hardest designs to cast a good bullet for.  Technique has improved considerably since then.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,425 Senior Member
    308 Win F-TR

284 Winchester F-Open

7mm Dakota

6.5-284

6XC HSP
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,779 Senior Member
    Ah!!  Almost forgot a favorite!

Pachmayer Dominator in .35 Remington
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    I don't understand the allure. If I miss with my first shot, I'd like a couple quick follow-ups to prove I wasn't wrong in the first place.

Mike

I don't see a problem.
    Plus, you can reload and shoot a SS quite quickly if needed
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,080 Senior Member
    I don't understand the allure. If I miss with my first shot, I'd like a couple quick follow-ups to prove I wasn't wrong in the first place.

Mike

I don't see a problem.
    Plus, you can reload and shoot a SS quite quickly if needed
    That is true.  I doubled on my two biggest Axis bucks with a single shot .308
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Many of my Bolt Action Repeaters chambered first High BC cartridges like .260 Rem / 6.5-284 Win / 7mm RM / 7mm RUM / .300 RUM, have been turned into single shots because I seat the bullets to chamber length and this results in cartridges that won’t fit in the guns magazine. When that happens, I replace the magazine follower with a single shot follower. Hasn’t stopped them from being effective on game. 
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,991 Senior Member
    edited June 22 #40

I wasn't finished with the stock, hence no bolt, and if you could nee, no action screws. I just put the action in the stock and snapped a pick.

7mm IHMSA, 15" Shilen Barrel, back when they made GOOD barrels (Actually was assembled by Shilen too) It's wearing a Burris 2-7x32mm pistol scope. I know Ernie and Zee like putting rifle scopes on their SPs, but that's not my "thang" Some of my SPs will HURT ME if I tried that (14" 45-70 Contender for one)

And here I am, ~20 years ago with the 2 Axis does I killed with one shot with it.

Closest one was a head shot, jacket severed the spine on the second one. Unplanned, but it worked out. Range was ~50 yard

edited to add: scope details
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

25 Creedmoor Dominator

284 Winchester XP-100

20 BR XP-100

6mm Long Dasher XP-100
    6.5 Leopard (WSM) AKA Batman
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    6 Creedmoor HSP

Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 835 Senior Member

M-H Cavalry Carbine, .303 

Pedersoli Trapdoor Carbine.

• JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 505 Senior Member
    I guess this counts. Its a 38special that I made from scratch. All designed in my head. I STILL never got around to cutting dovetails for sights. Yes its ugly but it works.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    ^^^^  Way neater than my CVA Scout in .223Rem

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 218 Member
    It’s not Sunday but....Ruger Hawkeye 256 Winchester magnum from January 1963
    That’s pretty cool!
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Rafterman's been sitting on the hidden treasure of the golden guns...............
    Rafterman said:
    Holy crap, that is awesome!!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,276 Senior Member
    Rafterman said:
    That may be the rarest of all Rugers. 
    Rafterman's been sitting on the hidden treasure of the golden guns...............

Wow! It just came to me why my house isn't paid off. I guess I could back off the gun buying but where is the fun in that?  o:)
    Forgot to add, Shipped to L. M. Burney in Lamesa, TX  Sounds like an individual, not a business. The good ol days when you could buy a gun and have it shipped to you.
  • AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 360 Member
    edited June 26 #53
    Rafterman said:

Bit off topic.
    That cartridge came in a M1 clone
    No sights, plastic magazine.

Found it.
    Don't recall that name, an age thing.
    But that would be very neat.
    early beat me to the punch. Talks about the Marlin 62 and Thompson Contenders also.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,875 Senior Member
    There is also at least one Colt Python factory chambered for the .256 Winchester Mag...lat time I checked, the gun was valued somewhere between 14 and 22 K $....For a time it was offered but don't think it was ever produced en masse
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    It’s Sunday!

T/C encore in .454 Casull. It is in a “different” configuration now (I’ll post a thread on that shortly)
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    edited June 28 #59

Another H&R

Nice.

Another H&R. 😁

.357 Mag

edited June 28 #61
    Zee said:
    Another H&R. 😁

.357 Mag

Is that with the cast iron or steel frame?