Home Main Category Hunting

What animals do you intend to hunt in the upcoming hunting seasons?

2»

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    When I was a kid, the men would pick the feathers off of the dove and gut them.  We didn't go for just breasting, either.  We cleaned the whole bird.  I didn't realize there was any other way.

The women would roll them in flour and deep fry them.  As I recall, that was some pretty good eats.  That's the only way I've ever had them.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    edited June 2020 #33
    Depending on what the military leave policy looks like when I get back, waterfowl, upland birds, bull elk, pronghorn doe and whitetail are all on the docket.  Might be some hogs in the mix if I can get out of the local area beyond the current restriction radius.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,184 Senior Member
    I drew a muzzleloader hunt for desert muledeer. It was my 3rd choice in the draw and not really what I wanted, but it's better than nothing.

@JerryBobCo, I'm the exact opposite when it comes to cleaning dove. I was taught as a kid how to stick my thumb under the breast and tear it out, tossing the rest of the bird. When I first saw people plucking and gutting dove, I was a little confused.. I now use shears to cut the wings off at the side of the body, then pull the breast out and remove the skin with most of the feathers.  Then wash with water and pack in bags with a little salt and water for storage. 

My go to method for cooking dove now is to start with a salt and sugar brine. I believe this helps draw the blood out, which tends to increase the livery flavor, and it keeps the meat moist during cooking.  I've also tried soaking in buttermilk, but I like the brine better.  Then it's bacon and jalapeno wrap and on the grill or, since I live in the "green chile capital of the world," I'll sometimes wrap them with strips of green chile and bacon.

On the same note, I was always taught that breasting out quail was like breaking the 11th commandment... But I'll tell a secret, I still breast them out.  :o
    Jay, I learned the breasting method later in life, and much prefer it to picking the entire bird.  The legs are about all you get extra from the rest of the bird, and there's not a lot of meat there.  But, the adults I learned from grew up on depression era dirt farms, and were of the mind set that nothing went to waste.  My grandfather bought shotgun shells by the shell, and would pot shoot birds on the ground during the winter.  It was just the way it was done back then.
    Jerry

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,576 Senior Member
    While I was far removed from the Great Depression, there were some lean days during my childhood. Blackbird and dumplings actually makes pretty decent tablefare.

And there's a trick to filling the pot with a minimum expenditure of shells. When you find a flock on the ground (as Blackbirds tend to do), take your 12 Ga auto-loader with 3 shells in it. Belly crawl to around 40 yards of the flock and while laying prone fire the first shot about 2 feet above them. Then, without aiming, fire the next 2 as fast as you can pull the trigger. A goodly percentage of them, startled by the first shot, fly directly into the next two. I once collected 27 with 3 shells that day. And probably overlooked a few.

Don't know if this is legal everywhere, but it was where I was.

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Did you eat four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie?

My grandfather used to shoot "winter birds".  That's all my dad ever heard them called, and apparently they were small so it took a lot to feed a family of 5.  

As the name implies, they were birds that were mostly prevalent in the winter.  They probably fed on spilled grain and silage in my grandfather's feedlot.  I really don't know the details, though.

My dad said they were very good eating.
    Jerry

Mike, as soon as I posted this I realized how it sounded.  I apologize for making light of a bad situation you were in.
    Jerry

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,027 Senior Member
    Plan to get my flights set-up for my Alaska trip (Blacktail deer) in the next week or so.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,921 Senior Member
    Muzzleloader cow elk, and buck antelope for me this year,  blanked on deer. 
    Muzzleloader cow elk, and buck antelope for me this year,  blanked on deer. 
    Dan, what GMU did you draw for antelope?  I'm interested to know if populations are coming back from a few years ago.
    Jerry

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,776 Senior Member
    Whitetail deer.  Feral Pigs.

Makers Mark.

Weapons you will use?
    I usually only “plan” the first one since it’s usually something new and stupid I bought/ built.  Then I’ll switch around other stuff depending on what gets my fancy.

First one will be a T/C in .454 Casull.
    Then, maybe the 450 Bushmaster again, or the .45-70.  Anything more after that will probably be the DPMS .308
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,576 Senior Member

Mike, as soon as I posted this I realized how it sounded.  I apologize for making light of a bad situation you were in.

Just saw this, Jerry. 
    Believe me......no offense taken. It wouldn't have even crossed my mind to be offended.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Since I just got a .270 I will be annoying the crap out of the local chipmunk population...
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,467 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Since I just got a .270 I will be annoying the crap out of the local chipmunk population...
    Will you have backup?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    GunNut said:
    Will you have backup?
    .44 mag on my belt.  They get ANGRY when you tickle them...
  • tinytank1tinytank1 Posts: 10 New Member
    This has made me excited for hunting season! I'll probably use my new Mossberg SA-20 to hunt some dove! I'm trying to look for a good hunting partner to practice hunting deer with.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,636 Senior Member
    The extent of my plans for hunting include pissing off my employer by taking long weekends in November to nap in the woods.  Not really much to see where I go, but I will be sitting there with my M70 in .458x1.8.  
    tinytank1 said:
    This has made me excited for hunting season! I'll probably use my new Mossberg SA-20 to hunt some dove! I'm trying to look for a good hunting partner to practice hunting deer with.
    If you're in Texas, and have a place to hunt, I'm your huckleberry. :)

Btw, welcome.
    Jerry

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,836 Senior Member
    tinytank1 said:
    Welcome, where abouts are you located?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,296 Senior Member
     Late to the thread but have hunted and shot the following since the 31st May
     Red Deer
     Fallow
    Peacocks
    Goats
    Ducks
    Swan
    Rabbits
    Hares
    Wild hog
    Possums
    Feral cats

Didnt eat the last 2 though.........
    Used a variety of rifles from 204Ruger ,22, 222, 243, 7mm08 and a 12g.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • lancebanyonlancebanyon Posts: 28 New Member
    I applied for Bull Elk, Deer in my favorite hunting areas and got skunked. That makes 5 years in a row.  I also applied for Antelope in the Red Desert for sheets & giggles, drew a tag in an area with only 30 tags.  Go figure.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,467 Senior Member
    I applied for Bull Elk, Deer in my favorite hunting areas and got skunked. That makes 5 years in a row.  I also applied for Antelope in the Red Desert for sheets & giggles, drew a tag in an area with only 30 tags.  Go figure.
    Well, there won’t be much pressure, I guess. 

Welcome!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,880 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    What state for mule deer?
    CA.  Should know in a couple days if we get drawn for the Mojave.  Backup is old reliable Sbdo mountains.
    Old reliable it is. :/
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Only 30 tags?  That's my kinda hunt.  Less pressure = better hunting provided the animals are there.  My Nevada antelope unit in 2014 only issued 25 tags total.  That was the shortest western hunt of my life - my season was over within 20 minutes of day 1, opening legal daylight. 
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.