Home Main Category Clubhouse

I think I am going to buy a new truck

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 7,452 Senior Member
Not on my timeline, but the 07 Black ex cab whole bed F250 Lariat needs some real work to make it through inspection. Almost enough to make me run it to a dealer...... or so I thought. I had seen some used ones from the one big "lease turn in" reseller, now not a 250 to be seen. One white one with 19K and the DOT limo cab and short bed at another Lease turn in dealer.

For kicks I searched new and I found a brandy new black ex cab whole bed F250 XLT in my area. Its 8K more than the only lease turn in. I had planned about 1.5-2 years more on the 07, but it needs a little love and the Northeast road treatment is starting to affect the body in bad ways. I had pretty much talked myself out of a whole bed and into a 6.5', but this 8' is cheaper than the short beds. Probably for the same reason I got the 07 cheaper. A 8' bed isnt as good a grocery getter and wont fit into condo garages.

2 years would have made this smoother..

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,883 Senior Member
    I wasn't thrilled about giving up a truck I dove at work for 12 years. Now that Ive got a few months with the new one I wouldn't want to go back. But........ I don't make the payments...... My old PU carries worries sometimes. But no payments either. On the other hand, a smart man once told me there's no such thing as a free ride.

I like to remember old trucks Ive owned and driven for a living. Those memories are rife with spin. If I got a test drive in what I drive now way back then, I'd be speechless.

Low mileage used might be more economical than new. Worth a look.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,452 Senior Member
    Low mileage is the way I have gone for the last 20+ years. Problem is that right now, they are not available, save one that is 2 years old and 8k less than new.
    The plan was a low mileage in cash in 2 years, meaning I would end up with a 2020-2019 model.
    Car payments go against my grain, but so does putting money into something where it wont gain me anything.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,962 Senior Member
    Having the work done will cost less!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 313 Member
    I've been looking around for a used truck as well.  I also don't want a payment.  I figuerd I could find something decent for around 20K but for that price, everything is over or at least near 100K miles.  Screw that.  I'll probably finance 10k or so to get something I want that will last.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,225 Senior Member
    Why pay cash when they have 0% financing for 84 months?
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    zorba said:

To a point.

You have never lived in the NE salt zone have you?

Since my truck was a target it has been struck on all sides. Both bed sides have been replaced with chineseium metal. The right has been repaired repeatedly with bondo and metal. The left is into its second year. The crossmembers are looking rough Under the bed, meaning it will be a candidate for a bed from the south off a tailgaters truck that had a head on collision. It might last the 2 years I would have wanted. 1K+ for a used bed at a guess, then paint and installation with new bed bolts.The cab is starting to see rust as well. I repaired the drivers side rear door this spring.

One of the mechanical issues is fairly steep to repair. I just did one side and it was 700 cash price. Both need done right now = 1400 @ 2018 prices. The other fairly imperative one is a min of 500. The steering box in getting worn, no idea on price, but Lets call it 2500 total mechanically at the moment.

Most of these issues are directly related to the slurry that is used on the roads. If this was NC or south, I would agree. The benefit of getting a new one is that I can get it undercoated buy a guy who is extremely good. He also guarantees his work, which is why he doesnt normally do used.

Thats when my Dad finally burried the old F150. The 300 six drive line still got it done, but whole mechanical front end was hanging by metal mostly rusted through. Nothing left to even weld to. He didn't want to chance someone buying it like that. Just drove to the salvage yard. 

I think a 77' Chevy I bought in Colorado in the late 80's was the first car I had without rear wheel well trunk ventilation.......
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,394 Senior Member
    Look at rental car websites. Idk if any have F250s. But they have pretty good prices for what they do sell. 
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 313 Member
    edited June 2020 #10
    RugerFan said:
    Look at rental car websites. Idk if any have F250s. But they have pretty good prices for what they do sell. 
    Hertz is supposedly declaring bankruptcy and unloading vehicles.  I looked at prices within 500 miles of me and didn't see anything in trucks I considered a deal.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,962 Senior Member
    zorba said:

To a point.

Ah! No I haven't. Bad "cancer" is an entirely different set of rules, unfortunately.

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,394 Senior Member
    Try Enterprise 
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,496 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    zorba said:

To a point.

Ah! No I haven't. Bad "cancer" is an entirely different set of rules, unfortunately.

The problem isnt just the rust on the body or frame, the salt gets into every thing and eats it away.  Sensors, bearings, fluid lines and coolers, bushings, ect.  I probably have $3k in my dads '08 Silverado over the past 5 years just fixing things that would have probably been fine on a southern truck.  This does not include the money he spent having the rust fixed, or the repairs he had done at shops.  The parts were not failing due to mileage, it was due in large part to salt accelerating corrosion.  
    RugerFan said:

There are 3 lease return/rental dealers within 100 mi. There is 1 F250 and it isnt a great deal.
    mitdr774 said:
    zorba said:

The problem isnt just the rust on the body or frame, the salt gets into every thing and eats it away.  Sensors, bearings, fluid lines and coolers, bushings, ect.  I probably have $3k in my dads '08 Silverado over the past 5 years just fixing things that would have probably been fine on a southern truck.  This does not include the money he spent having the rust fixed, or the repairs he had done at shops.  The parts were not failing due to mileage, it was due in large part to salt accelerating corrosion.  
    Its not just salt that they are putting on the roads. For the last 10 years they have been using a liquid and pretreating roads before a snow, it works, but it is hard on vehicles, a lot worse than just salt. Since the advent of All season tires that are equally bad in all seasons, they tend to salt way to often to try to keep people on the road.
    Thing is, it isnt absolute that I am going to get one now, It just may be that I have recieved a sign. I f I toss 2500 in it I will get another year out of it, providing nothing else goes weird.

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,225 Senior Member
    Have you tried the USAA pricing tool?

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    The liquid here is magnesium chloride. Its a metalic emulsion of sorts that sticks to anything it lands on. I recently inspected my frame. Large portions are boxed, but holes allow internal access. Its fine. But the rear tow hitch and front brush guard/hitch are rusting to dust.
    jbp-ohio said:
    Have you tried the USAA pricing tool?

Not yet, but I am about to

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,270 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio said:
    In many cases the price is lower if you don't use the "free" financing.
    edited June 2020 #20
    jbp-ohio said:

You get to pay for the loan fees and charges. Not huge, but if its avoidable, why pay it? Its not like a savings or bank money market is paying a huge interest rate so you wont earn what you spent over the term of the loan, and if you pay for it, you actually own it.
    mitdr774 said:
     Sensors, bearings, fluid lines and coolers, bushings, ect.  I probably have $3k in my dads '08 Silverado over the past 5 years just fixing things that would have probably been fine on a southern truck.  This does not include the money he spent having the rust fixed, or the repairs he had done at shops.  The parts were not failing due to mileage, it was due in large part to salt accelerating corrosion.  
    Almost all of the "sealed" bearings and such have been replaced with ones with grease zerks. I didnt have to do fuel lines on this one, yet.

• DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    zorba said:

Both bed sides have been replaced with chineseium metal. 

Lol!!!