Home Main Category General Firearms

Cheap Free Pistol

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 11,638 Senior Member

A bit confusing, but that's what it is.  A Baikal Model 35 M.22 LR, made in Russia. I got this several years ago cheap, as I remember, came in a box with two 5-round mags (hey, apparently that's all you need for a Free Pistol.) Not at all a competition level, but maybe a casual shooting on the weekend.  Nice stock I adjusted and shaved off a bit to fit my hand.  Definitely a one-hand pistol with the other hand in your pocket.  I think that's the rules.  It has a grip safety on the top of the handle but it's impossible for me to press it hard enough to work, so I got a piece of elastic and wrapped it around the stock...seems to work so far.

The trigger is pretty nice and adjustable. Also adjustable for over-travel.  It's a two stage trigger, which I like but takes some getting used to.

It's been years since I shot it and can't comment on the accuracy.  I'm quite sure it's more accurate than I am, though. After I got it, I put the box in a closet and forgot about until the other day.

It's pretty strange. The bore is low mounted and shrouded.  It came with a manual in three languages and a list of parts.  The pistol has something like 90 parts. Also has means for mounting an optic.

Walther imported and sold this model back when; I think it was the Walther Model 200.

Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    If it lives up to its looks its a laser accurate first place racer.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,160 Senior Member
    Would that not be a Rapid Fire Pistol?  I believe Free Pistol is the game played with the spindly-barreled single shots that could be mistaken for air guns?

WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,638 Senior Member
    edited June 24 #4
    Could be...I only know a "Free" pistol means no rules on the pistol.  I just used "Free" because it sounds cool.

Edited to add: You're right, Bigslug. Saw pictures. Walther SSP looks a lot like the Baikal.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,026 Senior Member
    I remember when those were being imported.  I wanted to pick one up.

Cool little gun.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,412 Senior Member
    Here I thought you were giving a pistol away...
    Darn! Foiled again! ;):D
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."