Home Main Category Clubhouse

Downright Awesome!

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 23,964 Senior Member
And there were larger ones, some still in operation:

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

Replies

• pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,888 Senior Member
    I wonder if the audio is authentic?
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
  • RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 254 Member
    People with their big brains and what they're able to imagine and invent. That's cool. My brain is stuck in a ditch with a shovel.  :s  
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,861 Senior Member
    Electric!
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,251 Senior Member
    edited June 2020 #7
    This is what I think is downright awesome.......

I work with a machine that'll get something down to .002" if you're careful. If I need it closer than that, I can transfer to a machine that holds a much, much tighter tolerance. If I have to be closer than that, I've got another machine that'll certainly do that if I (and the company) am willing to spend the time.

Sometimes when I get a complex part right, I'm feeling pretty smart. But that feeling doesn't last long, because I always remember there was a toolmaker (or group of them) that built the equipment I used to build that part, and to achieve my tolerances, theirs had to be much less. And the machine stands up to this type of use, (and abuse) in most cases, for decades and still works.

The engineers that designed such a machine. The programmers that figured out how to CNC things, The folks that make the cutting tools that actually contact the part.

I can build a thing. But the process of making the stuff that allows me to build a thing is mind boggling. 

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,964 Senior Member
    Yes it is!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 254 Member
    I watch every episode of "How It's Made" on TV. Sometimes it's not what's being made but the machinery that's making it that I find fascinating. The speed and precision boggles my mind.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,326 Senior Member

I work with a machine that'll get something down to .002" if you're careful. If I need it closer than that, I can transfer to a machine that holds a much, much tighter tolerance. If I have to be closer than that, I've got another machine that'll certainly do that if I (and the company) am willing to spend the time.

Sometimes when I get a complex part right, I'm feeling pretty smart. But that feeling doesn't last long, because I always remember there was a toolmaker (or group of them) that built the equipment I used to build that part, and to achieve my tolerances, theirs had to be much less. And the machine stands up to this type of use, (and abuse) in most cases, for decades and still works.

The engineers that designed such a machine. The programmers that figured out how to CNC things, The folks that make the cutting tools that actually contact the part.

I can build a thing. But the process of making the stuff that allows me to build a thing is mind boggling. 

Mike

Well that thought will be rattling around in my brain all day!!!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Mike

Reminds me of the tall tale I read back in the 70s about the then Soviet Union machining and welding a piece of aircraft aluminum so small that it could only be viewed through a powerful microscope. After supposedly sending it to NASA as a middle finger, and to boast their superiority in the space race, our engineers were no doubt impressed with their technology - so much, that we drilled a bunch of holes in it and sent it back to them. I always got a laugh on that one. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,143 Senior Member
    ^^^Who said thats a tall tale?^^^    I knew a Navy machinist mate that said he drilled the holes.  All 50 of them to represent our States
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    ^^^Who said thats a tall tale?^^^    I knew a Navy machinist mate that said he drilled the holes.  All 50 of them to represent our States
    Ha! Good one!