Home Main Category General Firearms

She finally arrived...

1235»

Replies

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,809 Senior Member
    Now, the 320gr Montana HP-GC bullets... here’s a few frames taken from the slow-mo video of it. The bullets actually average 318 grains. 55.0 grains if IMR3031, 2121fps

And here’s what’s left of the bullet..😬

Accuracy pretty much sucked. Taking everything into account, I think they’re just too fast. Gonna try slowing them down to about 1800fps and see what happens. 

Didn’t have any better luck with the 500gr Acme bullets. Think I’ll use them up and be done with those. Might try some 535gr Postells some time. But I’m really leaning toward just sticking with the 405s; a subsonic load and a supersonic load. 

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,542 Senior Member
    Looking good!!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    That’s hits the key points of this outing. I had a few other loads using the same bullets, but nothing interesting enough to post. Just kinda average. Here’s the velocities of the loads I tried. 
    405gr Missouri coated bullets
      11.5gr Trail Boss = 923fps
      12gr Trail Boss = 954fps
      12.5gr Trail Boss = 988fps
      35gr IMR3031 = 1375fps

320gr Montana HP-GC
      55gr IMR3031 = 2121fps
      59gr Varget = 2086fps

500gr Acme coated bullet
      34gr IMR3031 = 1319fps
    edited June 28 #126
    And here’s the Varget load water jug recovery

Both bullets recovered

Almost forgot to include, both bullets shredded the first jug, blew the second one up pretty good and made wide, thin entrance holes entering the 3rd jug, stopping in the 3rd jug with no sign of damage to the back side of the jug. They dump a lot of energy, real fast..
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,664 Senior Member
    Once you get the accuracy worked out, it will be a annihilator 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    I’m gonna have to handle yours before I get mine. 
    I’m waivering. 
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    So basically all the extra effort this type of rifle requires is just a clever disguise for extra fun???
    Zee said:
    I’m waivering. 
    I’m sure that could be arranged... And understandable. While I still think it’s a spectacular rifle for the money, it’s not inexpensive. 

If I knew everything I know at this point before buying it, I still would. Without a doubt. But, that’s me. 

There’s so many new things for me in this venture. Of course, I’ve never used a Sharps before. No experience with the cartridge aside from having shot a Marlin guide gun a few times. First time using a tang sight setup. 

Things I really like about it; it’s a very nice looking rifle. The bore is just as much a thing of beauty as the rest of it. I LOVE the trigger. The shotgun style butt plate is comfortable. It balances beautifully. 

Things I don’t like so much, at least right now; no windage adjustment sucks. I don’t like having to have the front sight hanging that far off to the right.  Going to be searching for a solution to that, if possible. I can’t say much about elevation right now. Need more experience. It MIGHT need a taller front globe sight. But gonna wait and see what I can do at further distances. I can probably also play with the sight picture and get the front sight lower in the rear sight to lower poi.
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 522 Senior Member
    edited June 28 #131
    Zee said:
    I’m waivering. 
    Waiver much and I will tell you about a browning Bpcr...lol.

It does have you written all over it.

I still need me some sort of 45-70 though.

Keep plugging away Jay you will find that sweet spot....probably soon too.
    I also have yet to try a real jacketed bullet. To me, the rifle just begs to launch lead. If slowing those Montana bullets down a little doesn’t help, a good jacketed bullet will be next for hunting loads. 
    I’ll take 1/4” groups at 50 yards all day. Just need to figure out the sights to get the groups where I want them to hit...
    I know it’s a fine rifle. And a style I’ve always wanted. 
    I’m just waivering in cost/vs use. 
    I just pulled my 24” Octagon Barreled Rossi in .45 Colt.......I haven’t shot in a few years. 😢 
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,426 Senior Member
    What jacketed bullets are you thinking of trying?
    Zee said:
    I know it’s a fine rifle. And a style I’ve always wanted. 
    I’m just waivering in cost/vs use. 
    I just pulled my 24” Octagon Barreled Rossi in .45 Colt.......I haven’t shot in a few years. 😢 
    Good point. 

For me personally, I didn’t consider cost/use. My entire collection is pretty much lower to middle range, very utilitarian stuff. Savage rifles, ARs, Nikon and Vortex optics etc.  I had almost nothing I considered a true heirloom gun. One that carries some style and pride. Something my son can be proud to inherit from me. Made the cost easy for me to swallow..
    mitdr774 said:
    What jacketed bullets are you thinking of trying?
    I haven’t even started looking yet. I got fixated on lead bullets, to a fault. I’ll go through my other thread on 45-70 loading and refresh my memory on bullets that were mentioned, accept any new recommendations and go from there. At this point I’m thinking something around the 400 grain mark that can perform at 1600-2000 FPS as a starting point. 

I honestly think those 320 grain hollow points would be awesome in an 18” lever gun. With a 30” barrel, I’m pushing them too fast, I think. I’d have to get them a ways out there to have the speed down enough to not tear them apart. And the load isn’t accurate enough to run that far out. Maybe I’ll stumble on something. 
    I really need to find some H4198 around here... 
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,426 Senior Member
    400gr limits options a bit.  I currently run the Speer 400gr FNSP in my .458x1.8 with a muzzle velocity of about 1725 FPS.  Groups well enough for me.  I have not had a chance to use on game yet though.  Kinda hard to find right now though.
    I’m not gonna say I’m locked in on 400 grains. Just basing that on what I’ve seen so far. It doesn’t seem to me like the lighter, shorter bullets want to work. Maybe I just haven’t found a load yet. But I’m not a slow and heavy kind of guy. I like speed and secondary wound channels. But, I want accuracy with it. Even if it means making a gun not designed for that to do it...

Seems so far that this gun likes medium weight/length bullets. Maybe I’m wrong. But being new to me, I’m trying to build on its strengths.